Tuning newbie. MS-II. What do I need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning newbie. MS-II. What do I need?

Here is a little background on what I do, this paragraph can be skipped. I run compact demolition derby. I often run 88-96 1st gen W bodies. They often come with flat top 3.1 and 3100 engines. I had preferred 94-96 3100s as they have a little more power over the 3.1 flat tops and do not have the burden of a MAF, but I have been having dropped valve seat issues with these engines recently. I normally run stock EFI with a few tricks to keep the engine running a little longer when hot. Nothing too crazy. There are more and more guys out there cutting a hole in the top of the intake, welding shut the TB neck, welding on a carb adapter, and running these engines with a carb and completely doing away with the PCM. I do not think these engines run very well this way, as they are hard to get to idle right and they often have dead spots in the throttle. I am looking to get my engines to run cooler with more fuel, but run better than a carb. This is what has led me to Megasquirt.

I have some hours in researching Megasquirt, and I believe the setup I want is the DIY MS-II. I am an electrical technician by day, so I know circuitry pretty well. I will be running N/A with a moderate cam. If I understand it right, MS-II will replace my PCM, correct?

My biggest issue right now is that there are so many items available from the Megasquirt brand, that I do not know what I all need to get started. If someone could begin to lead me in the right direction, I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance.

alternatively.... you could acquire an ALDL cable and flashing software necessary for the 94-95 PCM and without having to come up with a base calibration for the MS, just disable closed loop in the stock calibration and change the open-loop target AFR table to your liking.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'm new to this tuning stuff (but not afraid to learn), so I didn't know you could alter the factory PCM in such a manner.

Do you happen to know if I could use the PCM and harness from a 94-95 on a newer 3100 engine?

Comment

Also, what flashing software would be a good choice for my situation?

Comment

some stuff would need swapped around or eliminated to be used on 96+ 3x00s, but it is certainly able to be done. I imagine you don't have any use for EGR so that won't matter, but the knock sensor would need to be the 94-95 unit or work around it, stuff like that.

flashing software is either the madtuner V6 flash program or the tunercats flash program. no one else has released a flashing program for the P66 V6(yet).
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

No, I do not use the EGR. What would be considered a work around on the knock sensor? With these flashing programs can I advance the timing some, or no? I normally run 93 on the track...

I have been considering trying a 3400, I didn't think you could use a PCM from a 3100 with this engine, or can this be achieved?

Comment

knock sensor could be worked around as simple as a 3.9K resistor.... or just disable the function of it in the calibration.

timing can be played with to your heart's intent.

you can run a 3400 on this PCM without any software changes.... won't be perfect, but there are still a couple pieces of hardware that need worked around.
              Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Okay thanks for helping me in the right direction. I guess moving over to the OBDI tuning section should be my next move...

Comment

Working...
                X