Any MSIII users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any MSIII users?

Seriously considering the purchase of MSIII, but I would like to get some information regarding set-up, and such.

Id like to run sequential, looks like I can use the LZ9 60-2 trigger wheel?

What cam signal would be needed?

Ignition controls, would I need an ICM for the LZ9 Coils?

Or better to find COP, and which coils?

If anyone has a build thread using the MSIII, can they provide a link?

Thanks!
    '86 Grand National

Yes, MS supports the 60-2 and a whole bunch of other trigger wheels. The stock cam sensor should be able to be used, it will just require the proper settings to get the timing correct.

The MS could trigger the stock LZ9 coils if you wanted and be done directly-ish from the MS, likely some injector drivers will be needed (BIP273s are common for this) and the circuit info is in the manuals.

I haven't used an MS on my own car yet, and since my engine blew up, I now won't get the chance until the spring, but I am installing an MS3Pro on a friend's '67 Firebird with a 492 Pontiac that I will likely be doing initial tuning over the winter. I have played with an MS3 on a friends turbo 280ZX and it impressed me, his still needs some work though, and some additional sensors to get really take advantage of the MS3 capabilities.

On my own I have an MS2 I have set-up hardware wise for everything I need and have an initial MSQ set-up. Everything tests fine on the JimStim. If it wasn't for the need of an adapter harness and school didn't allow much time to build that, I would have tested it already. If everything works out well, like I expect it to, I will buy an MS3X to have a similar set-up to what you propose, with SFI and COP, for now I will start with batch or bank, and wasted spark.

The nice thing about the MS3 is that there is a limp home mode, it's a little different than the Delco LHM, but does allow for selectable and settable defaults if a sensor is lost and also will report that on the CEL. So the CPU still has to function where as the Delco has a hardware LHM, where some of the CPU functions can be lost and still get you home.

Comment

Will the WOT Tech stage 2 turbo cam have the notches for the cam sensor?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
      '86 Grand National

Comment

I believe that's the cam I have and it has a timing tang to trigger the cam position sensor.
        Last edited by Guest; 12-18-2015, 02:51 AM.

Comment

I'm also planning to get an MS3 running sometime next year but my follow-through is not quite at the level of Raven's. My initial plan was to set up a MS3X to run a stock LZ* motor but I'm going to start with a traditional cam and MS3. After I'm confident in that I may tackle VVT. I'd expect your cam to have a single pulse per rev cam sensor but Ben would be the ultimate authority there. The VVT cam has a 4X cam pattern similar to some LS motors (so I've read). I'm curios to see if the cam sensor lengths are the same. I think that the type of sensor may have changed but have yet to verify this.

Sam

Comment

Im wondering how the cam/crank signals will sync, which is why im hoping someone here has made it work.
            '86 Grand National

Comment

I think this is just a setting in TunerStudio. The crank signal should be used for just about everything. The cam sensor is only needed to know if it's the intake/compression or power/exhaust stroke. I probably won't use the cam sensor at first since the stock coils are wasted spark. SFI, CnP, and per cylinder tuning are all nice to have but just not worth worrying about until everything else is running.

JonPro has the wasted spark system and cam sensor running on a MS2. His trigger wheel is the stock LX9 24X. The wasted spark coils are the same between the LX9 and LZ* according to my research.

Maybe this helps...

Comment

Working...
              X