Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1995 Grand Am 3100 Swap with 1999 3400?.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Grand Am 3100 Swap with 1999 3400?.

I have a neighbor with a Grand Am Gt 1995 with a 3100.The motor in it turns over 3/4 of a turn(By Hand with 3/4 drive breaker bar and socket on crank pulley bolt clockwise) won't turn 360 degrees.It is binding up and I came to the conclusion that either a valve is in the cyclinder doing this or something is in one of the cylinders.I found one broken valve spring I think on #5 cylinder(the middle one front of motor Intake Valve).The question I have is obviously I may need to replace the engine 162,000 miles on it.What would I need to do to swap the 3100 with a 3400 out of a 1999 grand am?.Are the Harnesses the same?...injection?..computer?.Any help would be appreciated..I told my neighbor that this 3100 engine in his car is notorious for cracked and broken cam shafts..which I suspect to be the cause of the broken valve spring and probably a thrown valve.

PS.also would the original transaxle fit on the 3400 or would I need the Transaxle that came with the 3400?.

www.3400swap.com

Get the guide, read up, and see if you have any further questions.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

bad Link

The link www.3400swap.com doesn't load.

Comment

Hmm... Might have to bug Isaac about that.

Well, we have the guide on here anyway.

-Brad-
        sigpic

Comment

!! LOL, I don't have any affiliation with 3400swap.com
          sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
          1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
          16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
          Original L82 Longblock
          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
          Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Hmm... Oh, it was korbendallas, wasn't it. Sorry... was thinking it was you.
            -Brad-
            sigpic

Comment

i have a 1999 pontiac montana 3400 that is blowing water ouy the tail pipe, probably a head gasket.. i would like to know what years of the 3100 engine will swap out with the 99 3400 engine

Comment

Problem found

Just to let any of you know that the 3100 in 1995 grand am M motor was found to have a broken camshaft.This in turn broke an exhaust valve on the rear bank closest to drivers side cylinder(I think #6 cylinder?).Also I found #3 cylinder valve spring broken and one of the pushrods not sure if #3 intake or exhaust valve pushrod?.The #6 cylinder exhaust valve was broken and the little amount of valve stem was lodged in the spark plug hole jamming itself right next to the plug(broken valve).Amazingly very little damage was done to the head and spark plug hole with just an 1/8" of head chiped away at the plug hole.The plug was hard to remove I had to wet the threads with brake fluid to dislodge and unscrew slowly so as not to break the plug.The plug threads were pushed in on the side of where the valve lodged itself about half way down the threads.It seems as though the valve will seal ok but there is alot of carbon buildup..nothing a good valve job and new springs and pushrods won't cure..lifters seem undamaged.I can't believe there are many 3100's with thesameproblem..especially minivans with thismotor..all have broken camshafts..this is a defect from GM no doubt.

Comment

Mine has 200,000m on it. I'm guessing the coolant leaks into the oil from the leaky LIM gasket and that's what takes em out...
                  Original L82 Longblock
                  with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

No coolant leak found

I didn't see any evidence of coolant leaking into this engine.In fact my neighbor was driving at 20 mph and said it just quit as if someone turned the key off while he was driving.It just broke!..lol..I am amazed at what little damage was done..it can be repaired but with 160,000 miles on it and a valve job,new camshaft,timing components,New gaskets(head gaskets included)springs and pushrods as well as degreasing this dirty engine..why bother..a low mileage engine can be had for $700-$900 bucks here in Ohio.

Have any Idea what I should charge the dude for replacing his spent engine?..I am thinking of swapping OBD1.5 to OBD2 3400,3500 or 3900 engine..the one with least amount of wiring labor is preferred,Joe.

Comment

I like how Brad is thanked in that guide about the EGR adapter, when infact the one pictured above the home made one was designed by ME!!! and he went and stole the idea and said Oh anyone can make this at home who would want to buy that from you....

Oh I still remember

Got Lope?
                      3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                      Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                      Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                      12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
                        I like how Brad is thanked in that guide about the EGR adapter, when infact the one pictured above the home made one was designed by ME!!! and he went and stole the idea and said Oh anyone can make this at home who would want to buy that from you....

Oh I still remember
                        And for a while now Ben has been buying them from me to sell on this site.

Speak of which, Ben do you want me to see if I can have a set of 10 2000+ ones made since TCE is being rather slow.

Got Lope?
                        12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Quit your whining... :P

I remember making that and posting it everywhere, but I forgot that it was you who did it originally. Will teach you to put scanned images of things up on the net.
                          -Brad-
                          sigpic

Comment

Hey I figured people had more respect than that...

And you know I had to bring it up.

Got Lope?

Comment

I still have those saved images of the old adapter somewhere on a computer. I ended up actually making the 2000+ style myself cause I'm un-employed and a cheapskate right now. I tried to make it different so I didn't have to rotate or bend the EGR tube, but there was no way with the 3500 plenum to bolt it from the backside or cut it out with a hacksaw for this different design. Yes hacksaw. Took hours, lots of hours. If I had the cash I'd defiantly throw it down for one already made!!!! My shoulder hurt for a week (joint, not muscle) and I spent more hours probably making it than I would have working for money and buying it.
                              Last edited by IsaacHayes; 09-21-2007, 03:17 PM.
                              Original L82 Longblock
                              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Working...
                              X