No announcement yet.

Nasty V6 Miata.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May I pose a question? I know this is a v6 forum and it is about enthusiasm for this particular motor, but...

MonsterMiata.com has a no cuts kit to drop a 302 into the miata chassis that would give you your target easily and beyond. I'm out here primarily because my B won't house the 302 without a lot of cut and paste.

No offense to anyone, but why not go with the 5-0 in the Miata?

Cringing in anticipation of the flames

Paul

Comment

Good question about the 5.0, but the website you linked to will give you 4,000 reasons to DIY. The 5.0 is also heavier, wider, and less readily available.

Comment

Don't want to hijack this thread, but maybe I am suffiently on topic anyhow:

I'm another who wants to do something with an NA Miata. I have a 215 with 300 heads that I got for my MGB. At 320 lbs and an easy 250 HP, it seemed that it was a waste in the ox-cart chasis, since the MX5 came along and won my heart with fabulous handling.

BUT: I also happen to be a 60degree lover. Even though the blue oval engines fit the MX5, they are hardly "no cut *(or dent) install. Besides, they are a bit heavy. And I hate Fords, with a passion. LSXs are also a workable fit, but talk about friggin overkill. The 60 degrees seem pretty much tailor made for the size of the engine room, and could give me the same 3.4 litres and 250 HP, but I kind of had my heart set on a Bowtie block....you know the story there. THAT was the only wat to make 3.4 60 degree litres significantly lighter than 3.5 (or more) 90 degree BOP litres.

So, I am trying to determine all of the niceties of the 60 degree maze. What about the 3.6VVT. Is this thing used in an RWD application? What does one do to get the electronics to work without the rest of the vehicle around it? You just know I'm Jonsin' for the aluminum block and 4 valve heads.

If I can score a bowtie block off flea-bay, I suppose the whole 3.5 top end would be the way to go with 3.4 innards and build a nice purshrod ride.

Now, the relative link to the OPs line of reasoning: what stuff do we have to chose from that gives a forged crank of at least 3.4/3.5's stroke?

Help a newbie find his centre.

Comment

I don't think there is a 3.6vvt RWD application, but that shouldn't be a problem with some modifications or a killerbv6.com bell housing. I think you're on the right track with the 3500 top end and 3.4 block.

When you're talking 215, you mean Rover, right? That would have been my #1 pick when I started my project.

Comment

For 2009, there are several 3.6VVT RWD applications... Cadillac SRX, STS and CTS, as well as the Pontiac G8
            -Brad-
            89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
            sigpic
            Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

The 215 was originally a buick engine that they sold to Rover. When Buick decided to stop production, Rover bought the rights and tooling.

I have heard they have crankshaft/oiling problems.

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
                For 2009, there are several 3.6VVT RWD applications... Cadillac SRX, STS and CTS, as well as the Pontiac G8
                Ah yes. I forgot about the Commodore. I have only driven the LS2 version (Lumina in the ME market) with TKO600, nobody even buys the 3.6 over there (with fuel at $0.12/litre in KSA, who would??) Seems you got it down South last year with the 300HP 3.6 and we should have it here now. Couldn't remember if the pigalac.....CADILLAC things were FWD or RWD appication. Guess, they too are rear, but I doubt any manual trans??

Evil & pbsch:

The 215 was both a Buick and Olds engine using the same crankcase castings. Pontiac used the Olds version (thus it is called the "BOP" V. Heads were quite different, as was the use of hold-down bolts. There were no crank problems, but lots of block issues (GM couldn't get the cast-in-place liners right.

Although the tooling went away, the geometry didn't. The 3800 is just this engine done in cast iron less two cylinders, thus all of the front-mounted stuff (water pump, oil pump, etc.) is interchangeable. Also, the 300 & 340 cast iron V8 used the same dimensions so the aluminum heads from the 300 (fairly rare, big valves and ports - I have this stuff) fit the Buick, as does the crank (with a few little mods).

The Rover upgrades are significant, and if one is to do this swap, one should really use the later Rover block, unless the power is kept reasonable. 5.0 litres is possible, with a 320/330 lb. weight.

But, given the LLT 60 degree @ 300 HP and about the same weight, the later technology seems a lot more Miata-like.

Comment

Working...
                X