Engine swaps or build for my 90 Lumina 3.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine swaps or build for my 90 Lumina 3.1

Ive got a 1990 4 door lumina i got for $750 like 6 months ago. Its now got 303,000 miles on it with original motor and tranny. I dont have a single light on on the dash and it rides great and everything works. Not even a tare in the seats or carpet... I got it for gas milage cause my other vehicles a 03 4 door cummins long bed on 37's...lol... Anyway the tranny finally is starting to loose the band from 1st to 2nd... so if im going to pull the motor and tranny and rebuild them i may as well so both... Most people think im crazy to put that kinda money into this car but i could rebuild the motor, Tranny, and have it painted for less then a newer car with 150,000 and i wouldnt know what i was getting with that. This would be like new... So my question is what mods could i do while rebuilding the motor that wouldnt be far out of the way in price? Are some of the internal parts a direct swap out of the 3.4 that would help any? Would it be smarter just to swap in a larger motor like the 3.8 or something? I know i dont want the newer 3.1 out of like a 94 and newer cause they had bad probs with gaskets failing with that spider intake... Ive got endless junk yards around here... In fact theres one about 10 min away i swear has probly 30 to 40 of these 2.8, 3.1, and 3.4 cars... Also what about the tranny? Should i just go back to stock with a few mods to the motor? How well do they normally hold up to power? Sorry i know lots of questions for a first post at this forum but im the kinda guy if im gonna replace something i may as well go aftermarket for close to the same price... Thanks for all of yalls input!!
Working...
X