whats the weight difference-3400 & 1.X engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the weight difference-3400 & 1.X engines

im really looking into getting a light shell (like an older civic or metro) over the next few months & putting something with some guts in it that will still give me good gas mileage. ive mostly been looking into using a quad 4 because of how common they are, they are cheap, and it wont kill my weight, my question to you guys is as follows:how much is the weight difference between the 3400 and say, a 2200 or etc... 4 cylinder (u pick), and IF you have any idea of the weight difference, what would be the difference between the 3400 and the stock little 1.x engine that would normally come in like a metro or civic? id MUCH rather go with a 60degree engine, but im kind of worried about how well it will fit and im VERY worried about it adding 200lbs+ by itself (not including trans) over the stock tiny engine.

Why would you worry about a couple hundred pounds directly over the drive wheels? What are you going to do with the hypothetical Civic? If it just street driving or drag racing, you have improved weight distribution (not to mention torque) in one big jump. If you are racing soloII or something on pavement, it's a matter of getting the front end right at the new weight (do-able), or if you are racing loose surface, you have once again improved in the right direction.

A good friend of mine has ice raced a 60 degree (2.8 ITB injected) tube-frame Civic for many years. It has put some pretty impressive hardware and drivers (including a BUNCH of Unsers) on the trailer with regularity. It has even more severe front weight bias than a street car would ever expect.

The important concept is that for MOST situations, the rear axle on a FWD car is just dead weight. Most fully prepped cars will actually drive on 3 wheels in almost any turn.

Comment

i intend (if the good lord provides) to build a hybrid awd monster using some components i dare not mention on these forums, in the lightest chasis i can find (at this point the metro is on the top of my list because a 90's convertible one weighs 1750)-i found this very nice resource http://gasalley.thetumbleweeds.net/t...ne_weights.htm

& thats really helping-certainly is teaching me that sticking another 4 cylinder might not save me as much weight as i had previously thought. if i ever do start/finish this vehicle it wouldnt be for dragging or anything, itd just be for kickin ass on the street & daily driving.

Comment

What you don't want to mention must be separate electric drive to the rear wheels.

Comment

oh hell no-im all about motor baby

Comment

So, this is the 5th or 6th engine swap you've brought up in the last month or so... Is this one the real deal, or are you going to post about yet another one next week??
            -Brad-
            89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
            sigpic
            Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

depends on engine availability really, id hate to just fly by the seat of my pants & put in the first motor that comes to mind, but thanks to 60*v6 ive definitely ruled out the: quad 4, rotary, or any other little japanese motor ive run across. ive wanted to go 60* from the start, but i was pretty concerned about getting one to fit in a damn metro, as well as the weight, but ive come to the conclusion that im definitely going 60* in it, im either going 3400 or 3.4 dohc, at this point im VERY strongly leaning towards the dohc because i figure if i deck it out over time paycheck by paycheck, the dohc will have much more potential. also, im sorry if you guys are like "wtf is he asking all of these contradicting questions for?!?!" but i really value your opinions & i certainly dont have the experience to do these things by myself, and i do in fact search-and out of all the questions i do post-i search & get 5x that many answered...yea. please just bare with me & continue helping me, i GREATLY appreciate it and if theres any point to where i can share the info that ive learned with someone else that needs to know-i surely will.

Comment

oh and these swaps have been pertaining to 3 different vehicles as well with 3 completely different applications

1. my lumina-daily driver soon to be mean ass turbo lumina hotrod lol
                2. my girlfriends lemans-daily driver, but is just gutless as hell
                3. & a metro/?? project i intend to start with my tax return & spend money on bit by bit

oh and asking about fwd to rwd was for a few buddies that have 2.8/4.3 s10's & want more power & gas mileage, as well as reliability-and when it comes to that-all that comes to mind to me, is 60*v6's
                Last edited by no_doz; 02-04-2009, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X