3.4 hybrid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.4 hybrid

so, after playing with the compression ratio calculator, using parts that are reaily availible at my favorite dismantler, i came up with this basic combo.

3.4 RWD Camaro long block
    3400 heads and top end
    3500 ead gaskets
    12.36:1 compresion ratio.

i was thinking with a longer duration cam, polished combustion chambers, and polihed piston tops (get rid of all the hot spots and sharp edges), as wll as a really good tune (probably megasquirt based) i could run this thing with pump 93. would be installed in a 87 s10, 5 speed 3.42 rear. fighting weight right at 2800 lbs with driver.

the truck is a work/autocross toy. would have to retain pwer brakes, so i can get too radical on the cam.

what do y'all think? im trying to get right at 200 to the ground, uding parts i already have (camaro long block) and part that are availible at pull-a-part. unfortunately 3500 stuff is rare as hens teeth in my area, at least in my budget. i would prefer not to buy a complete 3400 to nab the pistons out of, as the 3.4 is just so nice already.. dont wanna tear it completely down.

my other thought is to just port ad polih the iron heads, put my ported TBI and intake of the 2.8 (4.3 TBI based setup) a cam, headers, and a thinner head gassket or a compresion bump.

so, tell me what you think? only parts i currently have are the short block, a warmed up 2.8, and my head porting kit.

thanks
    michael

Michael,

Setting it up as a 3.4L TBI engine is going to take quite a bit less money and time and should produce close to the original 160 BHP and 200 lbs of Tq.

The 3400/3500 top end swap with the bottom end parts and machine work will all add up to lots of time and money. If you dont have the money to just get it done and you have to wait to accumulate some of the funds, we could be talking about a few years to get that engine on the road. End results would be 200 BHP and probably 210+ lbs Tq. To spend a few years for that depends on your patience level.

My 1982 S10 2WD longbox has a stock L32 3.4L and I love it. My MGB has a stock 3.4L L32 as well. Stock programming and so on. Good stuff. Yes, I have considered doing exactly what you are thinking but my first priority was to keep the truck on the road, so if its good to go for a few more years as is, build that engine on the side, get a MS and program it. Build a test stand and do everything you can to have it ready to swap without having to keep the truck off the road/autocross for a year.
    BTW: I installed a Camaro rear antisway bar on my long box S10. It works great- mostly.... The wheels stay planeted but the frame flexes enough that going around a corner, i can carry FAR more speed into it but cannot accelerate through it becuase one wheel comes slightly up. I need a limited slip to cure this next. Dont try to go offroading if you have a V8 Camaro rear antisway bar and a long box frame. My suggestion is try a Camaro V6 rear bar first or purchase one for a newer S10. Wow does the truck stay flat- far more comfy. Anyways, Way off topic.

-BMC.
    MG & MGB V6 + V8 Engine Conversion Shop

1982 Chevrolet S10 long box with another L32 SFI!
    1980 MGB with Camaro L32 3.4L SFI V6
    2000 Venture 3400 (for her)
    Spitfire L32 3.4L
    "Experimentals"
    and more conversions all the time.

Comment

Your build is EXTREMELY similar to the build I am working on.

I have on hand:
      3.4 long block
      3400 heads
      I am waiting on the 3400 intake

What difference in the compression ratio are you figuring in using the 3500 head gaskets over the 3400 gaskets? I was hoping to keep my ratio between 9 and 10 using the same hard parts you are and the correct dished pistons...

Comment

Working...
      X