Yet another dumb swap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another dumb swap question

My question might be simple. I had the typical problem with the LIM gaskets on my 01 GAGT 3400. My question is this. Ive been offered a 3400 with 3100 top end. Will it bolt in using my current PCM, etc., and would it be worth swapping my top end back onto in given the fact that it did over heat and I have no clue if the heads warped or not. Any and all help is appreciated. I just really want to get my car running. I got the Pace Setter Monza cat-back, Magnaflow hi flow cat and custom CAI from the family for Christmas and Ive just been itching for spring!! I'm looking to get this done sooner than later so you can email me at fxmyxbx@hotmail.com. Thanks!!
    Last edited by 01GrandayumJeeTee; 03-11-2010, 05:38 PM.

the 3400 and 3100 heads/LIM/UIM from 2000-up are identical, save for the casted numbers on top of the UIM...
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I think you need to get clarification on the "3100 top end". If it is fact 2000+ (looks identical to a 3400 except says 3100), then you should be good to go. If it has smaller letters and ribs on the plenum, then I would be very skeptical...

Welcome to the site!
      -Brad-
      89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
      sigpic
      Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

yeah im not too sure what year it is. hes coming out tomorrow to take a look at a different car im selling and he informed me that he had one. so i will get all the details to you guys for tomorrow. then maybe we can get a littl e more clarification on this subject. my poor GT is just dying to get out there and show off! Thanks guys, and i'll report back in the morning with more.

Comment

Ok so here's the scoop with the engine. It's a low mile 3400 that they used for the top end ( intake, heads, etc ). So it was just a short block assembly. Then they took all of the bad stuff off the old 3100 and swapped it on so the cylinders and stuff weren't left open to see the elements and risk damage. He told me it's out of a 1998. So I'm wondering, am I going to need to change the harnesses, PCM, thing like that? And I probably have to get custom mounts and a matching tranny for it bacause none of the stuff for the 2001 grand am would work. Am I correct so far? Thanks guys. Keep me posted.

Comment

they took all the bad stuff off the 98 3100 and put it on the low mile 3400 block?
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Yes because they only bought the motor to do a top end swap. In other words, thier block was still good and they got this 3400 to take the heads, intake, things like that. From my understanding both blocks are the same so that was work they didn't need to do. The more I talk to this guy, the more confused I get about the whole situation. I'm half tempted to say "nevermind." So I guess I'm back to the beginning, searching for a motor. If anybody has an "extra" engine, or knows somewhere I can source one from, it would be greatly appreciated. I know that my engine still runs, so would it be worth just doing the intake gaskets myself, given the fact that the coolant has been in the crank case for a couple months now? What would I need to replace aside from the gaskets? Just the cylinder heads to be safe or would a crankshaft be in order too? As always gents, any and all help and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for all the help being I'm just a lowley newbie member. Just trying to educate myself for the future.

Comment

Working...
              X