No announcement yet.

LX9 RWD Swap - timing cover and pump specifics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've autocrossed my 3500 Fiero a couple times and never had any issues but it is transversely mounted. The 3500 (LX9) oil pan doesn't have any baffles in it
    '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

It looks like it will fit but will be VERY tight. Do you happen to know if the 3900 is the same block as the 3500 and if the 3.4 front motor cover and water pump will work on it?

Comment

I'm 99% sure that RWD timing covers won't bolt to the 3900. I don't think there are many parts that are interchangeable between the VVT engines and the non-VVT engines
        '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. Now if the crossmember guy would get back to me, then I can get a start on this.

Comment

Just to add another option, this is how I laid out the belt routing on my Franken60, many years ago (over 10 now. ):

I'm trying to come up with a nice belt layout for my next project, there will not be any power steering, and I hate using extra idler pulleys, but would like a belt driven water pump.

I have a few ideas in mind, but nothing I'm overly happy with yet.
            Last edited by Guest; 02-23-2013, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the photo. Do you have a GM V6 in a Z? My friend is doing a 260 right now and is supposed to be picking up an LS1 this coming week to go into it.

Comment

No, I have an L28 that I added a turbo to. I plan to swap it out soon enough though.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Raven View Post
                  Just to add another option, this is how I laid out the belt routing on my Franken60, many years ago (over 10 now. ):

I'm trying to come up with a nice belt layout for my next project, there will not be any power steering, and I hate using extra idler pulleys, but would like a belt driven water pump.

I have a few ideas in mind, but nothing I'm overly happy with yet.
                  What did you do for belt routing on this project you mentioned? I have an LX9 that I want to put in an Opel which also has manual steering, so the only accessory would be the alternator.
                  '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
                  '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
                  '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
                  '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

Comment

That belt routing works well for just alternator and water pump
                    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonero View Post
                      What did you do for belt routing on this project you mentioned? I have an LX9 that I want to put in an Opel which also has manual steering, so the only accessory would be the alternator.
                      I haven't got to that project yet, but it's getting closer to the top of the list.

Comment

I can post pics of my belt routing later on.. worked great with only an alternator.
                        Past Builds;
                        1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                        1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                        Current Project;
                        1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Sorry, I can't get on this site from home for some reason...

here was mine:

TCE alternator bracket, added an extra idler for better wrap on the water pump. Turnbuckle tensioner.
                          Past Builds;
                          1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                          1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                          Current Project;
                          1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

I've found that only minimal belt contact on the water pump is necessary, but it doesn't hurt to have more either.
                            '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

GEDC0344.jpg
                              Here is my setup

Comment

Hey Dave, which alternator is that? I am trying to figure out where to source the right alternator and pulleys. What did your alternator come off of? And the water pump pulley? Tensioner?
                                1962 Sunbeam Alpine
                                www.lx9alpine.com
                                LX9 swap in progress

Comment

Working...
                                X