Can Gen-II replace Gen-I RWD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Gen-II replace Gen-I RWD?

I know it's not ideal, but there is a wrecked '93 Cavalier (looks like a tree fell on it) available locally, and I have a dead Trooper that I'm trying to get out of my yard. I'd be fixing it for a friend and a goofy engine swap makes life fun and interesting for everyone involved.

For those that don't know, the Trooper is RWD/4WD but used a FWD block (starter on the left). Anyone know if the Gen-II block will bolt in place of a Gen-I? Any photos of the motor mount bosses? I'm not too worried about the heads and injection differences.

Also, I've been sitting on a Gen-III top-end set for along time. Is a Gen-II a decent hybrid candidate? The other option for this engine would be my Opel Kadett with a T5. Might be easier to mount up than my LX9 - although I really need to do something with that engine.
    '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
    '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
    '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
    '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

The car is a 1993 Cavalier Z34 with a 3.1L. I didn't look to see if it had a 5-speed or not, but according to MSN autos, a 5-speed was standard. If it's got a 5-speed, maybe I'll just bend the roof roughly back into shape, bodge a windshield in it, strip it, cage it, and have myself a LeMons car. I really wanted to race my Opel though.

Comment

the mount bosses are different but you can adapt them fairly easy. Similar idea to putting a gen 3 in a RWD app, just trim the top off the timing cover, flip the LIM/UIM and figure out the accessory brackets/plumbing.

Either engine would be about the same for your Opel (except for the power difference, lol).

Yes, Gen 2's are decent hybrid candidates. Lots of people have had good luck with them, others have spun bearings and wiped cam lobes. In a trooper it should be fine though.

Gen2 Protip: Use headgaskets for an iron head engine to get a little more compression. No piston popup to worry about.

If it is a 5 speed, save the trans. I'm sure someone would buy it. Also save all the original motor mounts and brackets, clutch hydraulics and the wiring harness. people are always looking for that stuff.
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

One advantage (for me) of the Gen-II is the non-structural oil pan. I'm assuming that I could bolt on a steel RWD oil pan either from a Trooper or Camaro depending on my application. I've had my LX9 oil pan modified to fit in the Opel, but I just don't think it'll do for the Trooper with the front axle and steering clearances.

Comment

Called the guy, it is an automatic unfortunately. And it was rolled on the drivers side to rest on the roof - young driver had a little off during a snowstorm. Oooops. Gonna see if it can drive home after work...

Comment

You could likely keep the engine and make your money back by parting out the rest. It looks to be in decent condition, other than the obvious damage.

Comment

What would be of value on that car? It had 150k, seats and such look to be in good condition.

Comment

Some more pics:

Comment

He's dead on at $500 IMO.

*Edit, check out the license plate.. haha
                  Past Builds;
                  1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                  1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                  Current Project;
                  1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

I got it for $400. He said that's what the scrappers would give him, and I heard that price from someone else too - sounded legit. It was three quarts down on oil and ATF. I only had two of each, so off to the store again tomorrow. I didn't check the ATF before I drove it home. I did a little rally in my parents field on the way and the trans started slipping, hopefully I didn't roast it too bad.

Comment

I removed the windshield and cleaned up the glass and interior, took the car for a spin after topping up the fluids. Running strong, steering is accurate, feels good.

Comment

I removed the windshield and we poked some forklift forks in there to pull the roof back up. It's certainly easier to see out of now. Maybe with some detail hammer work we'll be able to get a piece of glass back in there. Hopefully ready for a LeMons race this season.

Comment

I want one of these cars so bad... for different reasons, but I want one.
                          "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Why?

Comment

for my "capstone" I would love to make a Z24 RWD with a VVT 3900(like in the thread going in pushrod performance), built to the teeth, and way out there where no one will look for it!
                              "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Working...
                              X