• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3900 into 2005 subaru legacy AWD

some progress on my swap:

IMG_36871_zpse92cbf3f.jpg

IMG_3850_zps534c9bd9.jpg

IMG_3851_zpsa3549d06.jpg

comparison after moving the trans back an inch, as we can see a scoop will be needed.

IMG_37241_zps3b9495a6.jpg

a few questions:

-will a small block mini starter mount to the FWD starter mounting location? will the roatation of the starter be correct (doesnt the rwd starter attach on the passenger side of the block (when engine is longitudinal)?

I will be running the megasquirt ms-pro.
    -is the crank a 58x or 60-2 wheel?
    -what about the cam. what pattern is it?
    -coilpack wiring... there are 6 pins going to the coil. what are they? I know its not like the older DIS style coilpack. Can i drive these coils directly from the MS? are they like LS1 coils?

Returnless fuel rail... Can i simply T into the fuel feed line and then conect the return line with regulator to the additional T port ?

thanks guys. should be good. going to add boost also!

I thought about doing a similar swap about 2002 or so, but found that the engine would be through the rad, and didn't see much ability to move the trans back. I could have got that car cheap too...

AFAIK, the coils are dumb coils and just need the negative pulse to trigger them. Easy enough to test with a battery and some jumper leads...
    The MS is capable of driving multiple coils, at least the non-pro versions are. IIRC the pro version was not as easy to set-up for multiple coils.

Any reason you don't want to use a 3400 starter?

Comment

one helluva scoop.....
      Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

I can't wait to see this running
        '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
        '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

If you go to the gallery, there should be an area filled with images of the engine. To the best of my knowledge, the crank trigger is a 58x. The cam trigger is an odd 4 tooth setup (again, IIRC). Definitely an interesting swap, though!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
          -Brad-
          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
          sigpic
          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Wow this will be neat. Then a turbo.... Engine has proven for 400+ as I believe mars has achieved that

The best will be when someone asks if it is a STI block and you tell them it is a 60* v6 by GM
            14.63@92.9 -Full LX9 with CAI, 65MM TB, 2.5in DP, Borla Cat-Back, Crappy tires, Quick tune (Dyno Soon)

Comment

raven, i need a snoutless starter, the 3400 one requires a bit of clearance for the bellhousing, the mini snoutless will require less material to be removed. do we know that it fits here? if not i will see...

young gun. already getting flamed in nasioc.com subaru conversion forum for removing the boxster.
              we all know this motor is better. 90% peak torq from 1800 up....

Comment

Props to you for posting there before finishing!
                14.63@92.9 -Full LX9 with CAI, 65MM TB, 2.5in DP, Borla Cat-Back, Crappy tires, Quick tune (Dyno Soon)

Comment

GM 3.9 Pushrod V6 with VVT into 05 Subaru Legacy GT -- Then Compound Charged
                  2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS (LX9-F23 swap soon!) Slowly acquiring parts!

Comment

This is awesome
                    RIP - 94 GP SE
                    DD - 95 GP SE
                    Fun - 91 Mercury Capri XR2 Turbo AWD Conversion

http://www.werbatfik.com

Comment

Small update. Had to notch the block to fit in the starter. Going with the 5.3 ls fwd starter so that I have room to make an engine mount where the stock starter would have been.

Also had to make the adapter plate 2 piece for this to work.

Also received a he351ve variable nozzle turbo. Compared to my Subaru fp68hta

Comment

Small update.
                        Got engine in an playing with coolant hose routings. As we can see, the power steering pump is getting relocated to the passenger side to make room for the radiator return outlet and hose.

The outlet to the top rad connection and the rad cap will be placed in the center of the crossover tube. I will have an outlet to the heater core on the drivers side of the crossover tube, much like stock.

I noticed there is a post where someone talks of blocking off the second inlet to the wp( one that sucks from the crossover tube in the head, ) however if this were true then wouldn't the water pumps only source of input be from the Heater core return line? ( when thermostat closed). Once the thermostat opens it would suck also from the front radiatior. Would the wp have enough supply if limited to only sucking through the heater core return when thermostat is closed ? Bonus would be extremely good in cabin heat I would think. ( also wanting to run this through my turbocharger before going back to the heater core for even more heat in these cold Canadian winters.
                        ) can I block off this inlet or what bad could happen if I do ?

I was also thinking of running the big 3/4 inlet on the wp to the heater core rather than the 5/8 one, I think the stock Subaru lines might be 3/4 not sure on that one.

Comment

Wicked!

Comment

Managed to get a rough version of the passengers side mount together, still needs to be braced.

Mated it up to aftermarket Subaru engine mounts

Drivers side next. Almost time to order my ms-pro.

Comment

Had to hack up the transmission to clear the starter.
                              Luckily it was only the starter pocket

Anyone know about capping off that coolant outlet?

Comment

Working...
                              X