Six_Shooter's money pit and time vampire... v.240Z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet!

is that a work light on your inner fender?
    Past Builds;
    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
    Current Project;
    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Is that a GM-1? Turbo from a Chevy truck? How are the rear diff's in these cars?

Looking great!
      1999 Olds Alero 2.4 to 3500 swap (running). totaled by a honda
      1992 lumina 4 door 3500 3spd auto 15.020 @93.5 mph
      1984 Cavalier type 10 hatch 3100 5spd!!!
      14.96@91.47 in the 1/4
      9.63@74.36 in the 1/8th
      14.30 on slicks! scrapped due to rust!

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
        Sweet!

is that a work light on your inner fender?
        Yes, Factory on like all Datsuns in the '60's and '70's. I've never really used it, I just leave it on for heritage reasons. lol It does work though.

Originally posted by 1QUICKHATCH View Post
        Is that a GM-1? Turbo from a Chevy truck? How are the rear diff's in these cars?

Looking great!
        Yeah, either GM-1 or GM-3, I don't recall now, from a 6.5 Diesel. I've been using ot for about 6 years now on the old engine.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2014, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Just realized the title doesn't match your username :P
          Links:
          WOT-Tech.com
          FaceBook
          Instagram

Comment

It doesn't, at least not here, and couldn't change it, after I posted the thread. Lol I was tired when I created this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Raven View Post
              It doesn't, at least not here, and couldn't change it, after I posted the thread. Lol I was tired when I created this thread.

SLACKER!!!
              Links:
              WOT-Tech.com
              FaceBook
              Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by The_Raven View Post

Yeah, either GM-! or GM-3, I don't recall now, from a 6.5 Diesel. I've been using ot for about 6 years now on the old engine.
                Cool, I have the same one that I'm planning on using in my truck with a 3400.

Did you make a spacer for the water pump pulley to match up with the crank pulley/crank trigger setup?
                1999 Olds Alero 2.4 to 3500 swap (running). totaled by a honda
                1992 lumina 4 door 3500 3spd auto 15.020 @93.5 mph
                1984 Cavalier type 10 hatch 3100 5spd!!!
                14.96@91.47 in the 1/4
                9.63@74.36 in the 1/8th
                14.30 on slicks! scrapped due to rust!

Comment

Originally posted by 1QUICKHATCH View Post
                  Cool, I have the same one that I'm planning on using in my truck with a 3400.

Did you make a spacer for the water pump pulley to match up with the crank pulley/crank trigger setup?

Yeah, that was made years ago, when I used the same front cover on my Franken60 in my Jimmy.

I'm contemplating going to a Camaro water pump, when it comes time to replace it, just to get a little bit more room in front of the engine.

Comment

Update!!

A little crank trigger mount modification, This is the same basic set-up I used on my Jimmy years ago, but I moved the base of the mount forward to clear the oil pan. In the Jimmy I was able to hammer some clearance, which I didn't like at the time, but it was my best option. This time I decided to move the mount base and shorten the slider.

ModifiedCPSMount01.jpg

I also pulled the oil filter adapter off, originally to see about adding a port to it to feed the turbo, but I found a better solution for that, half way through. Anyway, while it was off, I decided to make an improvement.

Original:

OilFilterAdapter01.jpg

Smoothed out.

OilFilterAdapter02.jpg

Added a flex joint to the Y-pipe:

Ypipe01.jpg

I changed the oil pan to one I had modified for oil drain back provisions, and was happy to see the bottom end was as clean as the top had been.

BottomEnd01.jpg

I was able to get a clutch in the car as well.

I ended up using the entire clutch from my L28 in this set-up. I originally thought I would have to use, or could have used the pressure plate from my Jimmy, but it would have been too tall. So I found that there was a 2mm difference in diameters of the bolt patterns for each pressure plate. I decided to drill out the holes in the pressure plate larger and then added a couple dowels made from some bolts to help keep the pressure plate located properly.

CFDF01.jpg

I then moved on to finishing the bellhousing modification I had started a few weeks ago to clear the starter:

BellhousingMod01.jpg

BellhousingMod02.jpg

BellhousingMod03.jpg

BellhousingMod04.jpg

Comment

This is the part of the day where I actually laughed, possibly even chortled a little.

I needed to come up with a custom driveshaft for this set-up, since the new trans uses a very different and much larger output spline than the original trans. I did some preliminary measuring a few weeks ago, going off outside dimensions of some driveshafts I had, one that fit the trans, and a few that would be either original or some vehicle between. It seemed that the closest match would be the original driveshaft and the driveshaft that fit the trans, I had no idea at the time. So today I decided to cut apart both driveshafts and see what it would take to get something working. The pilots for both driveshafts are the same, or at least so close that it was a snug fit to slide the new yoke, into the old driveshaft. The other great surprise is that without cutting the driveshaft shorter, it was the right length, though it could be about 10 to 15mm longer without issue. I do have about 60mm of yoke engagement as it is, which is over half of the overall length of the yoke.

DriveShaft01.jpg

DriveShaft02.jpg

DriveShaft03.jpg

After this, some magic happened...

When I turned the crank with a rachet, the rear wheels turned as well.

This was the part that I thought was going to cause a long delay on getting the car mobile again, but it turned out to be easier than I thought.

While I had the trans out, I also made some additional room for the VSS, by slicing the mount brace and then hammering the plate to move into the brace, and then finally welding up the slice.

Fitted the starter. It seems that I didn't measure quite right for the starter position when I was making the adapter plate, but I did plan ahead and left enough material that I could open up the area under the starter if need be, and it was. I also made the clutch cover plate, that will be installed between the oil pan and the adapter plate, much like the OEM would have, and also my "clutch inspection hole" cover. This is actually a hole on the side of the trans that would be where the Nissan starter bolted to in the 300ZX TT, but is a great way to look at the throw out bearing and clutch.

I'm a tad worried that I may not have enough movement of the clutch fork to disengage the clutch. I have about 14mm of movement of the throw out bearing in total, after the throw out bearing comes in contact with the fingers of the pressure plate. If I need to, I can get a 300ZX throw out bearing and use the longer throw out bearing collar from my car to gain an additional 5mm. This would place the bearing just about against the fingers of the pressure plate at rest. I'll try it how it is first.

Last parting shot of basically how it's sitting right now:

GettingThere.jpg

Comment

No pictures this time, mostly because it's late (early?) and I'm tired.

It was exhausting

I have the exhaust finished, it's a 3 piece exhaust now, where as the previous exhaust was one piece. I had to do it this way to make servicing components on the car easier. It snakes through areas pretty nicely, and will get the job done. I was hoping that I would have been able to make the exhaust two piece. Basically ting a new downpipe into the old system, but this proved to be more complicated than it was worth and would require taking apart other parts of the car to get the down pipe in and out, which I do not like. When I build cars, I try very hard to make them easy to service, even for the less common/less frequently serviced items, because, why not? It will make my life easier in the long run, and it's usually no harder to make a vehicle this way than it is to just keep stacking parts on top of parts.

Time to take charge and cool it

I started on the intercooler piping last night. I wanted to change how the IC piping was routed through the rad support while I was at it. You see there are 4 holes in the rad support, well, there are more, but one is filled with the rad, and the others are just simple wire pass throughs or bolt holes. lol Anyway. There are two holes about mid way up on the rad support that are about 2 5/8" or so, and fit 2.5" piping just nicely, but are not ideal to get piping through, due to the inner wheel well being very close to them, but not impossible. I had some intake piping through these holes originally, back before I put the IC in (I just had a tube there taking it's place). Anyway, once I actually made my IC, due to where the tube were, it was easier to just remove the vent boots from the upper holes and use those hole. They are larger and just easier to use. Many people that install turbos in these cars use the upper holes. These holes as originally fitted are for some vents that allow fresh air into the cabin, and they DO make a difference, so I really wanted to change the holes used for the IC piping.
                        A couple years ago, I basically rebuilt a friend's 240Z for him and went through some considerable effort to use the lower smaller holes to pass his IC piping through, though we used 2.25" tubing on his car, so it made it easier. The IC he had, also allowed me to have some distance to curve the tubing just right, even though I did have to pie cut the bends to make them tight enough to fit exactly how I wanted them. It was worth the effort, it looks clean, planned out and not hacked looking. So I really wanted to get this going in my car as well. The difference, I'm using a very different style IC, his was a crossflow design, with the inlet and outlet both at the same height near the top of the IC, mine is a vertical flow design, with one inlet at the top and one at the bottom. In the end this design worked out very well for me, as I will show eventually in pictures. He was using 2.25" tubing, I'm using 2.5" tubing, his tubing was stainless steel, and mine is aluminum, his was much easier to weld...

Anyway, back to the point...

I started last night trying to get something that would work to get the tubing through the lower holes. I was working towards keeping the IC on an angle and then pie cut some tubing for one of the tubes, and really did not like how it was turning out. I was also planning on welding tubes to the IC, that passed through the rad support in those holes, and had one side tacked together that did this, or would have once I tacked it to the IC itself. Since I really didn't like how it was turning out last night, I went home.

One more time

So tonight I decided to tackle the IC piping and was determined to not leave until I had something that was at least tacked together and would work. I succeded. All tacked together, still needs to be welded. I ended up with somewhat of a hybrid of what I was thinking of previously. I ended up welding elbows onto the IC, that are pointed at angles, that once some IC piping is passed through the rad support will allow me to use a short coupler on each end. Right now I am down to only 4 couplers in the entire system. One at the turbo compressor, one at the TB and one at each end of the IC. It took some real effort to get this to work, but I like the end result, and once the vent boots go back it it will look even better.

All's well that oils well

I also started on the oil drain back. With the turbo mounted so far forward, and all of the tubes and pipes that are pretty much in the way, the -10 AN that I used previously was not going to work well. It would have worked, but there would have been a chance that the drain would not have been on a downward slope all the way to the pan. So I've come up with a plan to use some tube, and a drain flange that was original to the turbo, but will take some modification, and some additional tubing. I'm shooting to make it one piece all the way to the elbow into the oil pan, and use just a short piece of rubber hose to connect it.

I'll post pictures hopefully tomorrow.

Comment

alright, now that we know it runs, we need a video!
                          "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
                            alright, now that we know it runs, we need a video!

In due time. I did take some video, but it's turned 90* for some reason.

Comment

It's been exhausting

Some picture updating to with my last update:

Started at the downpipe flange. Plasma cutters and flap discs are wonderful things
                              Exhaust01.jpg

This is where I got to when I discovered that I couldn't put the one flange where I wanted, the downpipe just wasn't go to be able to be installed with it this length. I really liked how it fit though.
                              Exhaust02.jpg

Exhaust03.jpg

Exhaust04.jpg

Tacked together from one end to the other, next up, weld it solid...
                              Exhaust05.jpg

All painted and hung:
                              Exhaust06.jpg
                              Last edited by Guest; 08-18-2014, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Take Charge and be cool

first attempt at getting the IC tubing through the lower holes in the rad support:

Intercooler03.jpg

Intercooler01.jpg

New mount tab, to use an existing front facia/grill support:

Intercooler02.jpg

Adding some more before test fit:

Intercooler04.jpg

Looks like a good spot:

Intercooler05.jpg

IC tubing all tacked together.

Intercooler06.jpg

I decided to add the BOV directly to the IC tank. I did this on my friend's car, and liked it. I also think it keeps the IC tubing looking cleaner overall.

Intercooler07.jpg

Intercooler08.jpg

Intercooler09.jpg

All painted up:

Intercooler10.jpg

Mitsubishi Eclipse BOV installed:

Intercooler11.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X