Six_Shooter's money pit and time vampire... v.240Z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Six_Shooter's money pit and time vampire... v.240Z

Need a turbo cam? I have one I don't need...
    '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
    '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Failure is always an option

I have had one failure that had stopped the car from being driven so far, well, driven very far anyway. It would still run and move fine, but the coolant wasn't being circulated, nor was it charging. At first it seemed like it just spit the belt, which is one thing I was kinda expecting, because the idler pulley isn't perfectly straight, though it is better at the time of this posting than it was on Monday.

The failure? The alternator bracket broke. It seems there was just too much leverage on the bracket and it pulled the welds right out of the base plate. Which was another failure point I kinda expected, but expected it before getting the engine running.

Anyway, "carnage" pictures:

AltBracketFail01.jpg

AltBracketFail02.jpg

AltBracketFail03.jpg

And the repair...

I reinforced alternator bracket with an internal support:

AltBracketRepair01.jpg

I then added a couple gussets:

AltBracketRepair02.jpg

AltBracketRepair03.jpg

That should work.

And back up and running;

Running01.jpg
      Last edited by Guest; 08-20-2014, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine View Post
        Need a turbo cam? I have one I don't need...
        Send me the specs and we'll talk.

Comment

Originally posted by caffeine View Post
          Also does this have an aftermarket cam in it? What size turbo? (Sorry if I missed it) And what rpm does the boost come on?
          I forgot to answer the turbo question here. Yes it was already mentioned. :P

It's a Borg Warner from a GM 6.5L diesel, that I've been using on the car with the old engine for about 6 years. It spools so much quicker with the LX9, which is expected. It comes on so quick and so strong I haven't actually been able to determine an RPM at which boost starts to build. I'm also basically just running on the spring right now. I want to get a good tune into at "low" boost before I go turning it up, which I know once I start using the actually boost control solenoid it changes how the boost comes on, usually sooner and harder.

Comment

Yeah... so.....

This is definitely working better than the L28. A friend of mine has a '94 Supra, and while I would always pull on him from like a 40 MPH roll, I now pull away like he's standing still.

It's similar with a friend of mine that has an early '70's Cutlass that is pretty healthy, I have less difficulty getting past him now or pulling away than I did before.

Still some tuning to do, it doesn't like to pull beyond about 5800 RPM right now, which is up from the 5300 RPM or so it was stopping at before.

Boost comes on much sooner and much stronger than the L28. In 3rd if I'm at 2700 RPM, and put the pedal down, it's instantly 9 PSIG (where I have boost set to right now), and just pulls. In the L28, I would have had to wait until at least 3200 RPM before it was at the same point.

I'm looking at cameras to see which one would be good and affordable to get some video. I can't justify $400ish on a GoPro right now.

Comment

Is the stock cam even capable of power past 5800?
              '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Don't know, but that's a part of why I did this swap, to find limits of the stock engine.

I haven't got back to you simply because I haven't been able to find any solid info on that cam.

Comment

All I know is that without a turbo my Fiero fell flat on its face around 5200 rpm. The dyno confirmed that too.
                  '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

I think TSC has some cheaper action video cameras on sale this week, $50-150 emerson and a bullet cam... might be worth taking a look at
                    1999 Olds Alero 2.4 to 3500 swap (running). totaled by a honda
                    1992 lumina 4 door 3500 3spd auto 15.020 @93.5 mph
                    1984 Cavalier type 10 hatch 3100 5spd!!!
                    14.96@91.47 in the 1/4
                    9.63@74.36 in the 1/8th
                    14.30 on slicks! scrapped due to rust!

Comment

I imagine Ben can tell you more about my cam than I can
                      '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Originally posted by The_Raven View Post

I'm looking at cameras to see which one would be good and affordable to get some video. I can't justify $400ish on a GoPro right now.
                        Check out woot.com for sports cameras. They have all the same features as GoPro (including a remote and LCD screen) for about $100.

We have a Swann Freestyle, same deal, can get them on evilbay for about $120.
                        Links:
                        WOT-Tech.com
                        FaceBook
                        Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                          Check out woot.com for sports cameras. They have all the same features as GoPro (including a remote and LCD screen) for about $100.

We have a Swann Freestyle, same deal, can get them on evilbay for about $120.
                          I can't deal with a site that has almost no organization/categorization, and no way to search for a specific item. My OCD tendencies make me cringe trying to find anything on that site.

Comment

any updates?
                            "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Originally posted by ericjon262 View Post
                              any updates?

Share some enjoyment with the rest of us! Video?
                              '86 Grand National

Comment

Working...
                              X