No announcement yet.

Six_Shooter's money pit and time vampire... v.240Z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I got 6 new parts for my build tonight.

EagleRods02.jpg

EagleRods01.jpg

Eagle H-beam, rated to handle up to 1500 HP, I don't think I'll be testing that limit. LOL

These and a set from one other manufacturer were about the only off the shelf rods that are VERY close to being a direct replacement for stock rods. These are slightly longer. I'll have to look up the difference again. The wrist pin is also .005" smaller than the stock LX9 wrist pin, but since I'm getting custom pistons anyway, not a big deal, the pistons will just be ordered for the correct pin size.

I also have an idea that might achieve some better flow for the top end. I need to get a couple parts and see just if it's worth the effort.

Comment

• I'm looking forward to seeing your "idea.".

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
      '86 Grand National

Comment

• Originally posted by 34blazer View Post
        I'm looking forward to seeing your "idea.".

SHHHHHhhhhhhhh......

I talked with my engine builder tonight about it when I picked up the rods and he said that even though there might be some fitment issues, it would be worth a look, and getting the parts in hand.

Comment

• Huehuehue

'86 Grand National

Comment

• Well, some changes are coming about, but will post those when I have more parts in hand, hopefully this weekend. These changes will mean that it will take longer to get the Datsun back on the road, but I'm ok with that, since I was recently given my Uncle's T-bucket. I knew I would be getting it eventually, but figured that would have been a far off time after my Grandfather had passed. My uncle passed away back on 2002 as he and I were working on the T-bucket, so it went to my Grandfather and my Grandfather and I have been slowly working on it for about the last 10 years or so. A few weeks ago he decided to give it to me now, I don't know exactly why it's now, but there have been some reasons said that for the most part make sense. Anyway, that means I'll still have a fun car to drive, since my plan was before it was even given to me to have it running and ready for the road by April or May. Now that it will be mine, means I don't need permission to drive it, and I can drive it when ever I want. I just need to find a place to put it. :/

Anyway, I have some pictures of something I've wanted to do back when I had 3400s to play with. That thing is oil squirters on all 6 pistons in 660s that didn't have them. well since I have that junk LX9 block, I dropped it off to a machine shop friend to see just how feasible it is to add more oil squirters to the LX9, and would imagine the LA1 block to very similar, if not the same in this regard.

Initial flattening of the areas to be machined for the additional squirters:
            OilSquirter03.jpg

Front location looks a bit iffy here, so we decided that instead of placing the bolt hole where it "should be" to match the angle of the stock location to twist it a bit and get the bolt hole nearer the centerline of the oil galley, leaving the oil pick up hole offset like it is on the original squirter:
            OilSquirter04.jpg

All holes drilled:
            OilSquirter10.jpg

The center position looks good.
            OilSquirter08.jpg

Squirter fitted:
            OilSquirter09.jpg

But lets look a little closer at that front one:
            OilSquirter05.jpg

Damn, the position broke through the side of the oil galley, so mimicking the stock layout (which is also very similar to the LZ9 position) isn't going to work. The LZ9 looks to have more material in this location to avoid this happening. The squiters are offset from the centerline of the oil galley about .300"

The machinist will do a couple more drill tests with a couple other positions that we discussed to see what will be best and clear the crank throws, etc. Any of the positions that would be used for the front oil squirter will need the tubes tweaked to get them pointed at the pistons.

Comment

• New direction engine wise for the 240Z, that saga is starting here: http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthre...-new-direction

There will still be some updates to this thread before it's finished off though.

Comment

• For now I might be putting an LX9 back together to get the Datsun back out.

Most of my time over the last few months has been spent on another project that's been in the family for about 39 years. It was my uncle's first car and his first build. It is a 1923 Ford T-bucket. My uncle drove it for a few years in the early to mid '80's until he rolled it on one trip up north. Then while repairing it, the original fiberglass body and interior went up in a fire. So he bought a different style body, a Fiat Topolino, to put on the frame and once he got that body, he decided to just build a whole new car. The T-bucket sat for a bunch of years, honestly, I thought it had been sold off. Then after selling the Fiat, the T-bucket frame re-appeared, another body was found, and the work began. I joined in the build at a later date. My uncle passed away in 2002 and then the car sat for a few years again, before my Grandfather and I decided to finish it. It was supposed to be done for many years now, but this year it finally returned to the road. This is the short short version of the history.

Unfortunately due to some technical issues, the engine has been swapped to a 283 (actually the original to the car), since the engine that was put in the frame by my Uncle in the mid '90's had some rather large issues. The 283 has issues of it's own though, most notably a timing chain that has 14 degrees of slack to it, so it doesn't run as well as I had hoped. So now I'm waiting to get access to another engine that a friend of mine has, but we're having a hard time getting it out of the storage place it's at currently. Hopefully within the next week it'll be in my possession.

Anyway, since there's no 60 degree V6 in it, that's about as much as I'm going to write about it.

Par-T201601.jpg

Back to the 60 degree content...

There's still some progress being made on the LZ9, but will post when there's significant updates in the other thread.

Other than the Datsun I also have a 1985 GMC Jimmy that is/was a 60 degree V6 equipped vehicle. I plan to get it back together hopefully later this year or the beginning of next. So since the LZ9 build will take longer than I had hoped, due to many circumstances, I figure I'd throw an LX9 together use it in the Datsun for now, then move it over to the Jimmy, when the time comes.

One thing that I wanted to do with the LX9, which really started years ago when I wanted to do this with an LA1 was to add oil squirters to all of the cylinders. The LX9 has them on cylinders #5 and #6, but not the rest. So I contacted my machine shop guy, the same one who made the trans alignment pin for me, as shown earlier in this thread about doing this. With the blown up LX9 from December, I dropped that block off for some exploratory surgery. We started with the same locations as would be seen in an LZx engine, which worked perfect for the #3 and #4 cylinders, but not so well for #1 and #2. The blocks are quite different in this area between the LX9 and LZx engine for that front oil squirter. We came up with an alternate location and it looks like it's going to work, so I will be dropping a good block off to him next week.

You can see the middle oil squirter location, along with the front locations in this picture.
                LX9Exploratory01.jpg

As you can see some exploratory machining was done. What would be the stock LZx location breaks through the side of the oil galley so it's a no go.
                FrontOilSquirter01.jpg

A better shot directly above the area. You can see how my machinist tried to use the same offset that GM did from the center line, but had to move it over a little so that the oil galley stayed intact. This location will require some reshaping of the oil squirter tubes, but that's a minor detail here.
                FrontOilSquirter02.jpg

I did drop a crank and piston/rod combo in last night and it looks to have the same clearance as the stock location from the rod and crank. I forgot to get pictures of this step.

Comment

Working...
                X