Creating a Pontiac Grand Am formula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a Pontiac Grand Am formula

so i started my swap a week ago and thought id share. Many say that swapping from a 2.4l to a v6 is not worth it, but it isnt that hard and will be worth is. Hardest part so far was removing the 2.4l and trans. The damn bastard didnt want to come out and fought me hard, but i won. Its a shame i cant use the original transmission cause it still works great. Found out the clutch still has alot of life but the flywheel is seriously worn. using the mounts, harness, and computer i pulled from a 97 GA with a 3100. Everything from the 3100 will fit the 3400 so far. Had milzymotorsports.com put their 3400 performance tune on the 97 pcm, yet to test it. Using a stock clutch from a 94 3.1l cavalier, its larger, more robust, higher torque capacity, and uses the same internal slave cylinder as the 2.2l isuzu trans i have. Will report with more progress as i go along. And i will say that the 4 cylinder feels ALOT heavier than the v6.

It's going to be a "Formula" trim level when im finished. How you ask? It will have one of the biggest engines that can fit into the engine bay(installing), prothane mounts(installed), F-body 12" front disk brakes(ready to be installed), rear disk brakes(sourcing parts), Sprint higher spring rate coil springs(installed), 1" front and rear sway bars(installed), kyb gas shocks/struts(installed), a wider 215 55r16 wheel combination(installed), manual transmission with low gearing(installing), LSD(saving money for) se appearance with gt rear bumper(installed), true dual exhaust with H pipe(sourcing parts) Oldsmobile achieva complete dash swap(installed) Sunroof(installed), wheels will be re-powder coated white. Pictures are old and do not show the changes except the engine pics. will take current pics after the swap
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jaons_Wlp; 12-23-2014, 08:31 PM.

Cool! I did a 2.4-3500 swap years ago in an Alero, well worth the effort! I think that the 2.4 removal was the hardest part about my swap too.

Any plans for headers?
    1999 Olds Alero 2.4 to 3500 swap (running). totaled by a honda
    1992 lumina 4 door 3500 3spd auto 15.020 @93.5 mph
    1984 Cavalier type 10 hatch 3100 5spd!!!
    14.96@91.47 in the 1/4
    9.63@74.36 in the 1/8th
    14.30 on slicks! scrapped due to rust!

Comment

thanks man. i was thinking of trying to mod some 3800 headers to fit. idk if that will work tho

Comment

well, she's in now!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by jaons_Wlp; 12-29-2014, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Neat! You are defiantly going to want a LSD and even then you will be spinning them quite often as I have experienced with a friends beretta with a 3400/Getrag 282
          14.63@92.9 -Full LX9 with CAI, 65MM TB, 2.5in DP, Borla Cat-Back, Crappy tires, Quick tune (Dyno Soon)

Comment

yeahh traction will be an issue i get the lsd. but i like breaking the tires loose

Comment

Working...
            X