No announcement yet.

2.8 TBI is seized, upgrade or replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad everyone has mentioned modifying the truck's TBI harness, I am going to use that route. I pulled out some 87 truck diagrams and have printouts of those. I also have a dealer manual for a 94 cavalier which has a lot of good info. My next question is do all 7730 ecms use the same pins for their functions? I believe I pulled the ecm I have out of a 90-92 camaro but it was a long time ago and i was too dumb to write it on the case. Can I use the 94 cavalier diagrams as a guide? I will be pulling the chip I have installed in my 94 cavalier that I bought from WOTtech to be repurposed for the truck's ecm if need be.
    94' Z24 3.1 5M
    82' T/A 5.0 3A

Comment

If you have a V6 7730 and use a chip built for a 94 Cavalier you should wire it as if it was a 94 Cavalier, the car that the ECM came from isn't important at that point.

Comment

I will attempt to repin to the 94 cavalier setup but have one more hurdle before I start that process. The truck has a working r12 a/c system and I really want to keep it functional. The problem is that the 87 truck has a 2 wire low pressure switch mounted on the accumulator, the 94 setup uses a 3 wire switch.

It looks like a 91 grand prix 3.1 r12 uses a 3 wire switch like the 94 r134 setup. Hopefully I can just install a 90' switch and wire accordingly. Anyone have experience with this?
        94' Z24 3.1 5M
        82' T/A 5.0 3A

Comment

Also 90-92 F-body 3.1s ran a 2-wire switch with a 7730. You could probably run that code ($88 IIRC) and wire the ECM accordingly
          '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
          '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

Working...
          X