Here is info on a 3400 5 speed swap into a 96 GA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is info on a 3400 5 speed swap into a 96 GA

Just some informative information for someone thinking about swapping.

-The 3.1l clutch kit/flywheel from a 94 cavalier z24 and the 99 isuzu 5 speed trans is a good budget combo for a 3400 5 speed conversion. It holds the torque fine and the slave cylinder it comes with is compatible, engages smooth and effortlessly since it is larger.

-The 2.2l passenger side axle from the transmission will be too long and i could not find a compatible axle. So i took the axle completely apart, cut an inch off the inner spline, and a half an inch off the outer spline and slightly tapered the ends. It works just fine, but i know what you are thinking, dont worry there was extra spline length on the axle. The driver side axle from a 92-98 manual GA or manual 95-99 cavalier/sunfire fits. And the passenger axle is the power axle not the driver side.

-24# injectors from the pre 99 2.4l LD9 engine is more then capable and the connectors fit. imagine that!

-The Grand am 3100 down pipe nor 3400 down pipe will fit unless you stick with the 3100 exhaust manifolds. Both down pipes are terribly restrictive also. Im using the 3400 manifolds so I cut the flange off the 3400 down pipe, smoothed the flange exhaust hole, and welded and custom 2.5 inch down pipe on and it fits the manifold. The exhaust from the header back is 2.5 inches and it really benefits in the power and sound department.

-If you already have a manual transmission car like i did, the purple wire for the neutral safety switch in the dash/engine harness that comes out into the driver side firewall, will need to be moved to the empty pin the 3100 engine harness uses for the neutral safety switch(thick yellow wire) or the car will NEVER run.

-The green wire and pink wire from the grey square transmission connector can be used for the reverse selector switch. The speed sensor connector will need to be changed to the manual trans style.

-Every connector from the 97 3100 engine harness i used plugged right into the 99 3400 existing engine sensors, even the oil level sensor. Just not the speed sensor

-All existing mounts can be used if originally a manual transmission car. however i used the 99 3400 passenger side upper engine mount since it is a better design. all that needed to be done to adapt it is run two long bolts through the frame rail to hold the mount.

-Use fuel rains from 3100, direct bolt in.

*************important!!***********
    If you use the 3100 pcm to run the engine before it is tuned, do not run it long or jump the cooling fan relay. The stock computer does not tell the fan to come on till 223 degrees. I know cause i use a Dash dyno SPD monitor. That is probably why the original 3100 engine has so many cooling and gasket issues. And it will see even hotter temps during city driving on a hot summer day. F**cking lousy engineers.
    ask for more info if needed.
    Last edited by jaons_Wlp; 07-28-2015, 08:24 PM.

Just became aware of which you speak after burning up 4 fuel injectors and jumped a fan switch on my 91 Sunbird the other day!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
    X