2.8 rebuild and swap options.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 rebuild and swap options.

As of today, I am the proud owner of a 1986 Comanche. 2.8 automatic 4X4. The engine needs a rebuild so looking for the best and easiest options. What 3.4 and 3.1 parts are drop in interchangable? If the 3.4 Cambird swap is an option, which year would be a simple drop in. If I find a longblock, any issues with the fitment of my 2.8 manifolds carb distributor, etc

Externally in the F-car line the 2.8, 3.1 and 3.4 are all the same so all major assemblies swap over, exhaust and intake manifolds, engine mounts etc.

However, there were some non GM vehicles that used the GM 60 degree V6 used the FWD version that had the start on the opposite side (driver side), I don't believe this is the case with the Comanche, I believe they used the RWD version that had the passenger side starter location. As long as that's the case any 3.1 or 3.4 from the F-car will swap in.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I also hear that I need to convert to electric fuel pump, and find a neutral balanced flex plate. Will the flex plate from the Cambird 3.4 match up to the torque converter on my trans? I think it's a Chrysler. Maybe the Cherokee guys can chime in.

Comment

Working...
      X