96 3.1 Into 95 OBD1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 3.1 Into 95 OBD1

I had a 96 Grand Prix 3.1 with obd2 but the body was trash so I swapped the engine into a 95 with a good body but I didn't get the chance to take the pcm or wiring harness before the car was gone. So far engine seems to run fine and all I needed was to swap the fuel rail harness and egr but the issue I have that's stopping it from being complete is the coolant temperature sender. On the 95 engine the coolant temp sender was in the cylinder head but the 96 doesn't have a second sensor so I have no temp reading on the dash. I've had a few ideas for fixes but I'd like to make the stock gauge work instead of adding a new gauge. Any and all ideas are welcome

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

your 96 had a single coolant temperature sensor mounted in the lower intake manifold(should be a 3-wire unit) as opposed to the 95-earlier having a 2-wire temp sensor in the same location and the 1-wire sensor in the head.

if I were you.... I would grab a connector pigtail from a 96+ junkyard car that uses a 3-wire sensor and a new 3-wire sensor meant for a 96 grand prix w/3100 and splice it in.

you should have had to swap knock sensors around too.... the 96+ uses a 100Kohm sensor while the -95 PCM expects a 4Kohm sensor.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I didn't know about the knock sensors and I haven't switched them what would be the side effects of not changing them?

Sent from OneTouch Fierce XL

Comment

i would have expected it to set a code nearly instantly and then run with a defaulted 10 or 15* of timing retard, I can't remember which.

otherwise, if it doesn't set a code, it may just completely fail to detect detonation.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

So I should probably get around to changing them soon then. Being as the car is still obd1 I don't have a way to check the engine codes but the light is on. And the engine dies under load could this be the cause?

Comment

it certainly is possible, at least a knock sensor is cheap and fairly easy to change in-car.

do you have any kind of coolant temp sensor hooked up to the PCM? if not, that could also cause some huge drivability problems.
            Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Yeah the stock one in the pcm is still in place in the lower intake

95 Grand Prix 3.1

Comment

Working...
              X