The Raven's 240Z new direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Raven's 240Z new direction

Yes, I know I said I wouldn't put this engine in my car, but another member made me a deal I couldn't refuse (among other reasons) so here it is...

Engine Builds Episode IV: A New Hope

LZ9 pick up.jpg

I picked this up Tuesday (2016-02-23) for a great price. It's a "higher" mileage one at 166K (approx 106,000 miles), but I was already planning to rebuild it anyway. The Eagle rods that I bought for the LX9 rebuild will now be going in this. The LX9 will still be rebuilt, but that's for another project, and eventual thread.

So some of the main reasons I decided to go LZ9 instead of continuing with the LX9:

Oil squiters
    The fact that additional oil squirters in LX9 are proving to be difficult, at least that front squirter is. The middle one is fine (reference this post: http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthre...l=1#post476409) but the front one will need some changes made. From what some people have experienced it seems the oil squirters are a very good asset to have for the way I plan to treat this engine, so this is a big reason right here.

The Bore Size
    Since the bore size of the LZ9 is 99mm, this matches up with the LS1 and LS6, which will make choosing a ring pack easier than the 94mm of the LX9. I'm getting custom pistons made so they will be made for the ring pack I choose, and the other specs I want.

Mo' Power, Less Problems?
    The LZ9 starts with SAE rated 240 HP and 240 ft/lbs, and we know that with the restrictive exhaust, intake system and tuning that number is pretty conservative. So it will be easier to get to my goal for power, I know that I would have been able to get there with the LX9, but starting with more power just makes it that much easier, hell Mars is nearly there with his "Zero effort LZ9" in his Camaro, with the better parts that I'm going to use it should be rather easy.

Because reasons
    This will make it official that I've owned or at least driven frequently every displacement that the 60degreeV6 was made in, and every generation. From my Gen 1 2.8, to my gen2 3.1, to my hybrid 3.2L (3 generations of engines in one right there), to the LX9, to this LZ9. For the 3400, a girlfriend of mine had an Alero that I used frequently when we were living together, so it barely counts, but it counts, since it was my only set of wheels for a few months at one point. lol The only version I haven't owned or driven was the DOHC, even though I did take a serious look at fitting the DOHC heads on an OHV block at one time.

For now I will be sliding my aftermarket cam that I had in the LX9 into the LZ9, but I do plan to eventually re-visit the VVT option. I need to find a place that will make a good and reliable cam with the LZx cam journal sizes and such before I go back to that. I think a lot can be gained with the use of the VVT. But for now, I'm going to eliminate that variable.

Issues I have to deal with:

Not a bolt in
    The bolt bosses on the engine are quite different than the LX9 in many places, one important place is the front of the engine lower bolt holes. There is one missing when comparing to the older generations of 660s, and right now I have a mount there to stabilize the engine and my crank trigger mount also uses these two holes, though I think I will be eliminating the crank trigger and using the internal crank trigger now. I still need to modify the mount(s). I was thinking about changing the lower front mount I had anyway, because I would like to be able to pull the oil pan without needing to support the engine in any other way. The current mount is bolted to the bottom front of the oil pan, so it makes this idea difficult.

Oh that liquid that maintains life
    The cooling system, oh boy this is a big mess to deal with. I have a few ideas, and will need to take a closer look at the OEM system to see just how I can modify it to clean it up appearance wise and keep it as efficient or improve on it.

You could cinch it, but not likely going to happen
    The belt drive system, this is another mess that is closely related to the cooling system changes. I like clean simple belt systems, usually I like to low mount everything. If you ever saw my Franken60 that was the hybrid I mentioned earlier, I mounted the alternator where the air pump would have been and kept the upper parts of the engine void of anything that didn't need to be there. The LX9 that was in my 240Z was also simple with the alternator mounted in front of the left head, basically where the water pump was on the stock FWD layout. I want to keep with that simplistic belt routing, but also add an AC compressor to the mix in the future (but planned for now), and the eventuality of the VVT being re-installed, without re-working EVERYTHING at that point.

Because b00st
    The current turbo system (from the LX9) will not fit on the LZ9, due to the change in exhaust flange pattern, and if I use the LZ9 front cover the water pump is right in the way of the one header outlet. I had started designing a new turbo system for the LX9, but again due to the water pump location that system won't really work either, so I need to go to plan C, luckily I only got as far as some mock up mounts for the new system, so nothing has really been wasted there.

But wait... there's a deadline
    The car needs to be running no later than August, because ZCON 2016 is happening then AND my local club is hosting it this year, which means it will be basically in my backyard. The car HAS to be there. I would really like it running no later than June so that I can get some miles and passes on it before ZCON.

I got the engine on the stand tonight and started taking off the stuff I won't need and studying the coolant system for modification.
    LZ901a.jpg

LZ901.jpg

More pictures to come as I take it apart (I won't dwell on this aspect because there's a number of threads with LZ9 pictures already), and as I come up with solutions to the issues I am going to have.

Previous Build thread, for the LX9 Datsun 240Z: http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthre...vampire-v-240Z
    Last edited by Guest; 02-25-2016, 10:16 PM.

Going to use the same turbo? Or is it time for an upgrade?
    1999 Olds Alero 2.4 to 3500 swap (running). totaled by a honda
    1992 lumina 4 door 3500 3spd auto 15.020 @93.5 mph
    1984 Cavalier type 10 hatch 3100 5spd!!!
    14.96@91.47 in the 1/4
    9.63@74.36 in the 1/8th
    14.30 on slicks! scrapped due to rust!

Comment

I'm leaning towards something else. The one I was using really should be rebuilt if I continue to use it, so I could put that money into something better matched for what I want to do.

Comment

Definitely very interested in your progress!

I don't know if you're still considering the MS3 but I decided to get a JBPerf VR board to filter the crank and cam sensors. While the MS3 can do VR natively it requires some potentiometer fiddling to get right and that has been problematic for some people. The JBPerf VR board has a clever chip that does this automatically. Supposedly this is what the OEMs use as well. I decided it was worth buying my way out of a potential headache. Something to consider.

Happy fabricating!

Comment

excellent choice. I got these fittings and with a alt bracket so to speak from BCC. I haven't test fit the alternator though with the bracket yet but it should fit just like a lx9. I plan to use a fiero or camaro timing cover pending on which way I want the waterpump to spin.

WP_20150712_004.1.jpg

I would also look for a non variable upper intake. Ben flow tested it and it flows more than the variable one. With an adapter and ls1 75mm tb, will provide plenty of flow.
          Last edited by Guest; 02-25-2016, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I'm considering a similar solution for the coolant crossover. The BCC bracket mounts the alternator in a similar location that I had mine. The BCC bracket work work for me though, I'm using a Toyota alternator. I refuse to downgrade to a GM alternator again. lol

I have a couple ideas on modifications to the LZ9 UIM that should improve flow, plus I like the very different look of it. I may also just make a whole new intake, but not likely right away.

I have an MS2 that I will be using for now. Thanks for the heads up on the JBPerf card. I hadn't looked at using it in the way you suggest, as in avoiding other issues. I'll try the onboard VR conditioner for now.

Comment

Maybe you already know this but I believe the 75mm N* throttle body and 75mm LS truck throttle body pull from opposite directions. May help you with optimal fit and both should be fairly easy to source.

Comment

I knew that the LS1 throttle body would fit, but the car version I believe, since the truck version has what is closer to the LX5 pattern, maybe even the same pattern, at least my (LS) truck does. I didn't know about pulling from opposite directions though. I'll look into that though.

Comment

as far as I know, the LS1 tb and truck TB are the same. the LS1 car tb fits a modded LX9 manifold just fine, I used a N* adapter plate from BCC.

"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

My friends Z28 LS1 has the throttle cam on the left side(passenger). That is for sure because I filed down the throttle stop on that one for him. Damn if I can remember the trucks at my last job.
                    95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
                    High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
                    Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

There's two different bolt patterns for the LS throttle bodies that I've found, one is a 4 bolt pattern, much like the LZ9 throttle body. These throttle bodies are only found on Car, and IIRC only on Camaro and Corvette. Truck LS are a 3 bolt pattern. I don't consider the use of an adapter as a "bolt on". Yes, it technically bolts on, but requires an adapter which means that ANY throttle body becomes a "bolt on" with an adapter.

I've read that the 4 bolt LS1 throttle body will bolt directly onto the LZ9 intake, but I haven't been able to find one of these TBs yet to verify. I'm hoping to find a stock one, because I certainly don't need a 102mm that I can find from aftermarket suppliers. lol

Comment

ok, so all of the four bolt throttles for LSx cars, are DBW, I've never seen a four bolt cable throttle LSx tb.
                        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

F-body LS1 has a 3 bolt. Have one here from a 2001 Trans AM. It's sitting in an Benz E-class we are swapping lol.
                          Links:
                          WOT-Tech.com
                          FaceBook
                          Instagram

Comment

Later ones have 4 bolt flange, I haven't found any solid info yet whether all stock 4 bolt TBs are DBW or not. There are aftermarket cable type, but are generally huge.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Raven View Post
                              Later ones have 4 bolt flange, I haven't found any solid info yet whether all stock 4 bolt TBs are DBW or not. There are aftermarket cable type, but are generally huge.
                              I know the later ones are 4 bolt, but they are also all DBW, I am almost 100% sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X