No announcement yet.

The Raven's 240Z new direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would seem that way, and so far that's looking like the 4 bolt OEM throttle bodies are all DBW, I'll need to look into what LS guys are doing when they swap from DBW to cable, without going to a ridiculously large TB...

Anyway, more parts acquired... from an Audi?

BearingSpacers01.jpg

Nah, just the bearing spacers needed to run the older non VVT cam. Like I said earlier this is what's happening at least for now, but I do want to explore the VVT option again later.

BearingSpacers02.jpg

Thanks goes to Mars.

Comment

The LZ9 is down to a short block.

I put a degree wheel on it, to check out the cam somewhat. It appears to be a dual pattern grind, and with some significant overall lift. I need to check some other specs. I'm still planning to use my aftermarket cam, but I want to know about the stock cam.. for some future ideas...

I've also found out that the LZ9 front cover will not fit on the LX9. The water pump hits the block. I was trying to test the fitment of the front cover for water pump and possible alternator location, which will not work how I had hoped anyway. :/

There's a lot of very interesting differences between the LZ9 and previous 60 degree v6's.

Comment

Now we know where it gets its good low and top end power. A friend had a dual pattern cam in a SBC. That was some cam! It was said to make 300 ft/lbs of torque in the low end and could pull with power past 7k with the right mods.
        95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
        High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
        Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

These specs were taken from a 09 impala engine in my garage.

Duration at .050.
          Int 194
          Exh 195

Lift
          Int .272
          Exh .286

Cam events @ .050
          Int opens 12 ATDC
          Int closes 26 ABDC

Exh opens 38 BBDC
          Exh closes 23 BTDC

Its a peanut cam. curious how yours measures out.

Comment

I measured about 210 degrees duration at .050 (.029-ish @ the lifter)

Intake lift measured about .280 (.476 @ the valve)
            Exhaust lift measured about .288 (.480 @ the valve)

I don't recall cam events, I'll have to look at the Excel sheet I made, but LSA seemed to be right about 115 degrees. Intake centerline was about 114 degrees.

So overall a pretty typical stock cam by the looks of it, no weird grind that I can see.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-07-2016, 03:03 AM.

Comment

I finally finished getting the block down to just a block tonight.

There's a few interesting changes that have been made to the LZx engines. The oiling system has a slight modification. On earlier (gen3) 660s the oil was fed straight from the oil filter outlet straight up to the lower oil galley that fed the main and cam bearings. Now the oil goes into the block and makes a 90 degree turn towards the front of the block where it makes another 90 degree turn and feeds the lower oil galley at the front of the engine. I suspect this is to make sure the VVT actuator has adequate oil feed and pressure.

The cam and crank sensors have been changed. The cam sensor is now on an angle into the block, where it used to be straight up and down. This will change when in time in relation to the crank signal will be picked up, if one were to use an older cam for non VVT operation, in a vehicle where the cam sensor is still needed, as in a retrofit. The timing tab on teh cam itself has also changed, I'm sure more to monitor position of the cam than any other reason. The crank sensor is also different, but this seems to be more outside the block than inside. The hole still looks to be prependicular to the crank centerline. As has already been established the tone ring is very different than previous 660s. Multiple teeth with 2 or 3 missing in sucession. It seems to be very similar to later LSx type trigger wheel.

The block is a little different in the areas around cylinders 1 and 2. The block side near #2 has more bolt bosses than the LX9, but not as many as the LA1 or previous 660s. The block side near #1 is similar, if not the same as the LX9, which is different from the LA1 and other 660s.

Everything else is very much like previous 660s.

Comment

Block, crank, 1 rod and piston, my new rods and cam bearing spacers dropped off at the engine shop for initial clean up and measurements.

I didn't realize it until my engine guy pointed it out, that the LZ9 pistons are a full floating piston. I just assumed they would have had pressed in wrist pins like every other incarnation of 60 degree V6 has had previously, so I didn't even think to look.

Comment

have them measure your rod length. I measured mine at 5.835 and others have measured close to that.

also what year is your engine again?

Comment

You want stock rod length? I'm going with some Eagle rods that are longer than stock, well longer than LX9, which IIRC uses the same length in the LZ9.

My LZ9 is an '07 from a Montana, is what I'm told.

Comment

yes stock rod length

Comment

Originally posted by The_Raven View Post
                        Later ones have 4 bolt flange, I haven't found any solid info yet whether all stock 4 bolt TBs are DBW or not. There are aftermarket cable type, but are generally huge.
                        Hey Chris, you have any measurements on the 4 Bolt flange on the plenum? I came across an old 4bolt GM TB that is cable operated that may work for you...

Last edited by 1QUICKHATCH; 03-13-2016, 11:40 PM.
                        1999 Olds Alero 2.4 to 3500 swap (running). totaled by a honda
                        1992 lumina 4 door 3500 3spd auto 15.020 @93.5 mph
                        1984 Cavalier type 10 hatch 3100 5spd!!!
                        14.96@91.47 in the 1/4
                        9.63@74.36 in the 1/8th
                        14.30 on slicks! scrapped due to rust!

Comment

Cool thread to me since I'm probably the only LZ9 owner that's interested in bumping engine performance...in an Uplander cargo work van lol.
                          Just curious, I know you're going FI eventually (and I hope to in the future), what exhaust restrictions were you referring to regarding the LZ9? Just curious since I'm staying bolt on NA for now and only have an Overkill engine/tranny tune and AFE dryfilter drop in. But stock exhaust size is 2.5" OD on my van with a 30" muffler that I'm going to free up with a Dynomax, Borla or Magnaflow.

Will at Overkill did suggest a custom downpipe between the exhaust manifold and the converter, saying he believes the stock downpipe is a tiny double walled pipe but no takers around Memphis so far.

Looking forward to more LZ9 updates

Jeremy

Comment

updates?

you get measurements on the rod length?

Comment

Originally posted by niceguy View Post
                              Cool thread to me since I'm probably the only LZ9 owner that's interested in bumping engine performance...in an Uplander cargo work van lol.
                              Just curious, I know you're going FI eventually (and I hope to in the future), what exhaust restrictions were you referring to regarding the LZ9? Just curious since I'm staying bolt on NA for now and only have an Overkill engine/tranny tune and AFE dryfilter drop in. But stock exhaust size is 2.5" OD on my van with a 30" muffler that I'm going to free up with a Dynomax, Borla or Magnaflow.

Will at Overkill did suggest a custom downpipe between the exhaust manifold and the converter, saying he believes the stock downpipe is a tiny double walled pipe but no takers around Memphis so far.

Looking forward to more LZ9 updates

Jeremy
                              LZ9 Grand National. 1,138 likes. The purpose of this page is to document the installation of a Gen IV GM 60 degree V6, the LZ9 3900(3.9), install a BW366 turbo, and MS3 Pro ECU.
                              '86 Grand National

Comment

Working...
                              X