Nash Metropolitan getting a 3.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nash Metropolitan getting a 3.4

In the process of getting a 3.4 in my little 1958 Nash Metropolitan.
    Backgound, I bought this sad car in 2009. All there, did not run. Lots of rust.
    v6 story 1.JPG
    Got it running, put a lot of time in tweaking the body, interior, sound system, A/C, etc.
    v6 story 1.1.jpg
    Was tired of under performance, swapped unibodies, engine, trans, rear axle, disc brakes, suspension from a Toyota Corolla SR5.
    v6 story 2.JPG v6 story 3.JPG
    I liked the extra pep, but wore out that motor. The trans. and diff. were old when I put them in. So looking and researching, found a 1995 Firebird with a SFI 3.4 and 5-speed tranny.
    v6 story 4.JPG
    I am installing that engine, with computer. Wiring is getting simplified. I painted the valve covers, and intake. I made all the brackets for re-locating the accesories. I have gotten a fuel pump and new tank, and am putting a new radiator in the car.
    v6 story 5.JPG v6 story 9.2.JPG v6 story 9.JPG v6 story 7.JPG v6 story 11.JPG v6 story 10.JPG

Lots to do, still. But it is a start. v6 story 12.JPG
    Check out fun build on YouTube at title "Nash Metropolitan Custom".

Update: I have mounted the radiator so the electric fan will fit between radiator and water pump.
    radiator sm moved.JPG
    I put a scale under each of the tires and found the weight at 2200#, with the distribution being 55% front, 45% rear. Very happy with these numbers. The Firebird that supplied this drevetrain weighed 3400#.
    scale sm.JPG
    I have all the components in now except the gas tank. It will all fit nice and I think will be kinda spiffy.
    3.4 in bay.JPG 3.4 in bay 2.JPG

Comment

Wish I could...

I do envy your project. This and/or a Morris Minor are V6 transplants I've wanted to do for years.

Comment

Oh, yeah. To drive daily something that gets attention like this little car, and to have it run reliably and even perform decently will be a treat. Still months away, but I can see the exact steps I need to progress. Morris Minor would be fun, too. But not just drop-in, the suspension and brakes have to handle the heavier demands. New brakes sm.JPG

Comment

I cleaned the engine inside and out. I found the water pump full of crystalized green and yellowish white stuff. Silicone? I poured straight CLR into the block and let it sit for a night. Then I rinsed it out. I will try to put a screen in the top hose when I start it up. I tried the CLR on a test and it disolved the crud. Of course I will replaced the water pump. I used a ZEP product. It worked well.
          Cleaned up the motor, painted the brackets, put new seals on intake manifold, injectores, valve covers, EGR. New wires, plugs. One picture is my version of what brackets placement I used. The project is coming. It sure looks better painted up. Now just to get it to run. 100_1585.JPG 100_1593.JPG 100_1631.JPG 3.4 engine on stand sm.JPG 100_1638.JPG

Comment

That pump is nasty, glad to say I've never had to deal with that yet. Shocking how good the engine looks now.
            95 Beretta 3100 with 3400 intakes and TCE TB
            High flow cat and a Magnaflow muffler
            Grand Prix trans with 3.33FDR

Comment

Time for an update. I got the engine running in the car! Yeah! She fired almost first pull on the starter cable. It took a few seconds to clear up. This motor had been sitting in a field for about 10 years. I knew it turned over, but was really glad when I just saw it actually run.

https://youtu.be/1aF-WPw5BM

The rear axle is all rebuilt and I spent today putting on the hanger brackets.
              I ordered the driveshaft today.
              I rebuilt my spring perches, to raise the rear end 1" higher than the front end.
              Soon it will move under its own power. Can't wait!

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
              X