X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 chevy corsica 3.1L to 3.4L

Hi everyone. going by this guide:

http://crzyz28.sytes.net/images/bann...swap-guide.pdf

This swap should be pretty easy as swaps go. The guide focuses on 95 cars, but from what it says, since mine is a 96 it should just be even easier right? Mainly the reason I want to do this is because I can't find any 3.1L engines around, but there are some 3.4L engines. Since the 3.1L plenum is supposed to flow pretty good, I think I will put that on the 3.4L just because I can.

If that is the case then what I need is an engine hoist, what I will probably end up doing is getting someone with a crane on their pickup truck. The original engine is in pieces, so I may have to bolt the heads back on and lift it out that way. I don't know how the transmission comes off the engine, does it just slide off once you unbolt it?

Mainly what I want out of this is a relatively reliable car that can move out of the way when it needs to. I would appreciate any tips on improving MPG, and on inspecting potential engines.

Don't forget to unbolt the torque converter
    95 Z26 3400/OBDII/GETRAG

Comment

Thanks. Since 3400 engines are all basically on their last leg at this point and the newer engines are more reliable, I'm going to put an LX9 in it.

Comment

Do yourself a favor and pick up an LG8 upper intake, EGR valve and stovepipe from the yard. The LG8 upper bolts on to the LX9 lower like stock, and the EGR valve will clip in to your stock harness. Any 2000+ Grand Prix and Century will have it. Then get a throttle body from a 99-05 Grand Am or Impala, and swap over your throttle linkage. You'll really appreciate the plug-and-play compatibility (rather than making the LX9 upper work), and the obvious upgrade of the 56 mm throttle body over your 52 mm. My understanding is that the LG8 upper doesn't flow any less than the LX9, but it shifts the powerband a little lower. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

My Century now has an LX9, with an LG8 upper for compatibility and "sleeper" purposes.
        Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

Thanks. Right now I'm trying to figure out whether I can get a mechanic to put the new engine in without going nuts and charging me 2 billion dolllars. If the engine says 3100 SFI just like the old one, that may help a lot. I could probably do it myself but it would be in an unlevel driveway.

EDIT: Not trying to do anything shady here or misrepresent the job to the mechanic. I am getting either a swap kit or a used engine with the swap kit already installed, and will probably transfer the parts from the old engine myself. So it wouldn't be much different from replacing it with a stock engine.
          Last edited by keantoken; 04-05-2017, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X