Deciding between 3400 and DOHC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sinister_Z
    So what are we talking comparetively on gas mileage? What are the figures for both motors, in town and highway?

I was actually thinking about differential issue today. Just say for a second that you could flip the diff over and now the rotation of the engine and the direction of the wheels are as they should be. The only problen so far that I've seen with that is that the trans is directly bolted to the diff case and now would essentially give me 4 gears in reverse and 1 forward gear. I really need to open case up and see what can be done.

Shay

Yeah you could flip the FDR, but make sure the oiling and gear mesh will still be fine. In a lot of cases they will wear prematurely when run like that, for extended periods.

Milage comparisons will be difficult at best, since those engine never came in the same car so keep that in mind when comparing that aspect.

Comment

I just put the DOHC in a 65 corvair. I went a different route installing it transverse with 4t60-e transmission. Next step is turbo charger.

Comment

Originally posted by ripjaw
        I just put the DOHC in a 65 corvair. I went a different route installing it transverse with 4t60-e transmission. Next step is turbo charger.
        That sounds way cool. Do you have any pics of your installation?. I saw the late model Corvair guy who did the NorthStar swap the same way as you described.

Can you give me an indepth description on your intallation? Did you have to make any comprimises? Thanks

Shay

Comment

Originally posted by ripjaw
          Yeah I'd like to see that too.

I'd imaging the wheel houses need to be modified, IIRC the space between is pretty narrow.

Comment

I'm not sure if I have this right in my mind.... But couldn't you flip the trans around, then you could run the engine in the same direction, and it'd be a midengine layout to, I think I heard of someone doing this with a V8 before.
            26+6=1

Comment

Originally posted by RebelGT
              I'm not sure if I have this right in my mind.... But couldn't you flip the trans around, then you could run the engine in the same direction, and it'd be a midengine layout to, I think I heard of someone doing this with a V8 before.
              Yeah that's sort of how the V8 guys do it. Except they take their V8 and trans minus the tail cone and drive shaft ad mount it directly to the diff. But they also lose their back seat. I don't want to go that route. Here is a real good link with lots of pics talking about Mr. Norris's V8 conversion.

Shay

Comment

Okay Heres toady ,,I call it that because its green and lumpy. The car was built on a bet. They bet me $500.00 I couldnt take the motor and trans out of a wrecked 92 lumina euro and but it a 65 corvair destined for the crusher ,using just the parts we had laying around the shop. They gave me one month to get it driveable. I did it in 3 weeks, made it run on the road. Still havent made up my mind whether to finish the car so I can drive it everyday. '

[/img]

Comment

The Lumina rims look good on there.

Comment

I want it! haha, thats awesome that you made 500 bucks on a bet too. I need a 3400 to swap out my DOHC in the grand prix, and use the DOHC in something that doesn't weight over 3000 pounds.
                    Ben
                    60DegreeV6.com
                    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I still havent tryed the chip you sent me sappy. We are hoping to take it to the dragstrip to see what it will run in the next couple of the weeks.

Comment

Let me know, i really wanna know what that setup runs.
                        Ben
                        60DegreeV6.com
                        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Beautiful work my friend. I really like the setup but I'm just not willing to give up any interior space.

On another note. I'm actually surprised how good the wheels look on your vair. Looks just like mine. Mine's also black, it's 3rd color. Great job.

Shay

Comment

Working...
                          X