Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '95 3.1 => '04 3.4

This is my 3.4 swap.

My car is a 1995 Olds Acheiva with a 3.1, clocking 129000 miles.
    Upon blowing a head gasket I said I had enough. 6 months ago I had resealed the lower intake and I wasn’t about to do it again. After I pulled the motor and broke it down, I discovered the head gasket failed on slug #2.

The donor motor is a 3.4 from a 2004 Olds Alero with 9000 miles on it.

I got the original instructions from 3400swap.com, print a copy and follow along. Here are my differences.

1.) Motor Mounts. I reused all my stock mounts and brackets.*
    2.) Fuel lines. I removed my 3.1 fuel lines at the FPR and at the rail. Be careful not to loose the o-rings that are in there. I did this because I wanted to retain the stock ’04 FPR, injectors, and rails. In his article he thinks that the ‘00+ injectors are 22.5#. I plan on upgrades so I figured I keep them. More on that later. The other reason is the fuel lines on the 3.4 route under the exhaust crossover. There was little to no heat shielding there for the fuel lines, I preferred the way my stock lines ran up over the cross over pipe and how the exhaust shielding looks to do a better job. It was also easier and I didn’t have to modify anything, just unbolt and re-bolt the upper intake.
    3.) Engine Wiring Harness. This was pretty much untouched on the car side of it. The purge valve, 3.1, was located behind and below the coil packs on the rear head. On the 3.4 it is located by the TB. I added about 10” of wire to the plug so it would still look stock.
    4.) Battery Harness. Never touched it, I used my 3.1 starter. Ok I cleaned it.
    5.) ECU. Never touched it.
    6.) Transmission. I changed my tranny lines with stock lines, my leaked. Boy is it a lot easier to do when the motor is out! Otherwise nothing.
    7.) Heating and cooling. This was a bitch! I used the heater core piping that was on the 3.4 Like he said I had to tweak it. I still ended up running 2 6’ lines behind the brake booster down behind the rack and then over to the core. This was the hardest part of the job! Acheiva ain’t got much room! I put a dexcool rad cap on. I like the little orange circle J I removed every spring style hose clamp I could find on the motor and replaced them with good hose clamps. Otherwise, I used my stock rad hoses.
    8.) Alternator. I used my stock 3.1 alternator and brackets. One mod. The bar bracket that is on the right side of the alt. That is the nut to the bolt that secures the right side of the alt to the mount bracket and then to the corner of the intake. I had to elongate the mounting hole of the bar bracket, because the difference of the intake to the alt bracket is shorter than the 3.1. Makes sense, the 3.4 intake is bigger! Also I then shortened the bar about 1/16” on the bolt side/bracket side and ¼” on the intake side. DO NOT USE PLIERS ON THE 2 STUDS FOR THE ALT BRACKET!!! They have a 5.5mm head on them, do it right or don’t do it at all!
    9.) Knob on the timing cover. I took a hand grinder to it, never had the timing cover off. It don’t get more basic then that when it comes to fabrication! You can’t see it anyway. The knob wouldn’t allow the front engine mount bracket to line up properly. It does now.
    10.) I used the pulley off of my serp. Belt tensioner and used the 3.4 tensioner, then was able to route a new serp belt in the stock 3.1 config.
    11.) Harmonic balancer. Used the 3.4 balancer never had it off.
    12.) Knock sensor, I swapped in the 3.1 sensor, plug is different.
    13.) Crank position sensors. They are the same sensors, I used the 3.4 ones I got on the motor. Cam sensor I changed to the 3.1 sensor. I had to cut the Injector harness on the 3.4 to remove the 3.4 cam sensor from the harness.
    14.) Oil pressure sender. I used my 3.1 sender, I have a gauge in my dash and retained its use.

15.) Injector harness. As you know I used the 3.4 injectors. I did some research and found out that the map sensor power wire is spliced into the power wires on the 3.4 injectors. I found and matched the wires and put the 3.1 injector plug, and MAP plug, onto the 3.4 injector harness. Wasn’t that hard to do. If you do this make sure you do it right, solder and shrink tube!!!! That’s my dad and me extending the purge harness.
    16.) Air inlet, stock. I got a K&N filter, who doesn’t?
    17.) I think it was a 3/8 allen.
    18.) ECT sensor. I bought the 3 pin ECT for $19 and I got the plug from Borg Warner for $23. It’s so much easier than tapping the head. I also reran the gauge wire up through the injector harness so it looks stock.
    19.) I used the 3.4 map sensor and I would have used it’s purge valve but it was damaged in shipping, so I reused my old purge valve, in the 3.4 location.

20.) Throttle Bodies. I did the linkage shaft change like he showed, only I got a sheet metal lock nut to screw back onto the shaft under the TPS to replace the lock washer the factory had put on there. I used the 3.4 TPS and IAC. (pic shows size difference)

21.) I used the 3.1 back exh manifold. I didn’t have time to mod the exhaust. I did knock out the guts of my cat, it was clogged, screw emissions. I also capped the egr ports in the manifolds. I used the old exhaust manifold gasket, cut out a chunk, and drilled some holes in it. Works fine. No running problems. I do get a SES light about the EGR, that’s it.
    Attached Files
    sigpicHow to make High performance Emissions:
    A "true" High flow converter, straight pipe.
    Low/No flow EGR valve, block off plate.
    Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
    PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Nice swap and a good write-up that will help others. Does it have more power and do you think it was a worthwhile swap?
    MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
    '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
    http://www.tcemotorsports.com
    http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

yes much more power than a cooked 130K mile blown head 3.1 !

Before the blown head, she would at least bark the tires leaving the line. I went up 3/4", out 1/2", in tire size, a softer compound, and lost the bark. She barks again! Easier than I thought, very basic when you think about it. Now I wish I put the 4.0 v-8 in her.
      Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
      PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

My 3100 is a beast. I probably have one of the most high mileage ones on the boards that runs like new. I did see a coolant dribble at one point and I'm not sure if it's headgasket or I just didn't clean up after my last intake gasket replacement. Soon I'll be tearing it down to put on my new intake manifolds, and using a metal intake gasket. I'll see if the heads look leaky. If so I'll probably break down and get 3400 heads. It would make my intake swap easier as I won't have to clearance the rockers. I'd like to do the whole motor to 3400 but don't have the tools for that.

I thought you had to keep the cam sensor for the year of the motor since they changed the sensor rings on the cam over the years, and the sensors convert it to the proper signal.... Your fueling may be off because of that.. You may have more than one SES light, one might be for the fuel. Does the SES come on right away when you start it? If so then that's something else other than EGR (EGR comes on after you drive it some).

For the coolant lines/pipes, would it have been hard to swap your old 3100 lines onto the 3.4 so it would all match up? Or are they pressed into the motor or something?

Your sig, it's "... kick ass and chew bubble gum." other way around. And it's from Duke Nukem 3D, not a movie.
        sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
        1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
        16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
        Original L82 Longblock
        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
        Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

rodney piper said it in "They Live"

My steel pipes on the 3.1 were rusty, so I opted for the ones on the 3.4 and they fit diferant on the 3.4 intake.
          I have a OTC Genesis scanner. I'm a ASE Master tech and have alot of nice toys for tools. So the code I'm getting is just for the EGR not being there. I did a plug check after a run with my G-tech and she burning right, at least for a drag pass.

Comment

Ok. I saw it was a 95 and didn't know if you were able to scan the bastard odb1.5 whatever crap we have. Still a bit confused why the cam sensor swapped and still can read the new style cam ring...
            Original L82 Longblock
            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

lol me either! all I know is it works. Now how do I get a cam blank for a 3400?

Comment

Talk to cammotion. Other than that no one but them has them. See if they will do a custom grind for you.

Or get a sealed power solid replacement cam, and have it re-ground. Or re-grind the stock hollow tuber. Before you do that fab up some headers and send them to me. lol.
                Original L82 Longblock
                with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Fab up some headers? Sure, no problem. Right after I get done making my roller cam housing adapter for 3.4 DOHC so we can get .600"+ lift. I am joking about the adapter. But then again..........

Comment

Working...
                  X