How can I externally id an engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I externally id an engine?

I have a '00 LIM and I have a 3400 UIM how can I tell what the engine is? I was told that it was a 3100 and it was removed because it had piston slap. The dealer bought a complete engine to replace it. It was in Anchorage AK and the emissions laws won't let you swap a larger displacement engine in (can't put a 3400 in place of a 3100 and drive it in Anchorage). can I identify it by a block #? what are the identifying caracteristics?
    White '89 Beretta GTU with a 3400 under the hood. only a tranzgenic CAI so far!

Look on the side of the block (either tranny side or timing cover side, can't remember) and it will have either a 3.1L or a 3.4L cast into it. That will tell you if its a 3100 or a 3400.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

even if its a 3400 - they shouldnt know the difference if you put a 3100 plenum on? i doubt they would go searching for #'s on a stock looking engine.

Comment

Originally posted by patgizz
        even if its a 3400 - they shouldnt know the difference if you put a 3100 plenum on? i doubt they would go searching for #'s on a stock looking engine.
        They look at the block # and verify it is the correct displacement for the car/ year. I had a buddy with a '79 3/4 T Chevy, it originally had a 350 in it and still did BUT the new engine was a LD emissions engine and it came with a HD emissions engine so they would NOT pass it for emissions. Externally they were identical looking.

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi
          Look on the side of the block (either tranny side or timing cover side, can't remember) and it will have either a 3.1L or a 3.4L cast into it. That will tell you if its a 3100 or a 3400.
          is this on the front side or rear side? with the engine in the car.

Comment

Well, that won't work, since its under the timing cover...

On the tranny side of the engine, most likely on the firewall side, look for a letter A or B cast into the block (near the head). A will be 3100 and B will be 3400.
            -Brad-
            sigpic

Comment

It's a 3400!

Originally posted by bszopi
              Well, that won't work, since its under the timing cover...

On the tranny side of the engine, most likely on the firewall side, look for a letter A or B cast into the block (near the head). A will be 3100 and B will be 3400.
              Thanks for the help, I found the B on the engine painted red. I would be happy if it was a 3100 but I still would have probably have put a 3400 in it later, now I got what I wanted and didn't even realize I already had it!

One inconsistancy though, Another site said that the 3400 timing cover has a boss to install another idler pulley and the cover that was installed on the engine when I got it does not. the cover was still bolted on and they had no reason to take it off so I am pretty sure that it belongs to the engine. does the front cover differ from car to car?
              Last edited by scrappy; 09-17-2006, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Yes, the front covers will vary depending on the application.
                -Brad-
                sigpic

Comment

Ok guys, I know I'm resurrecting an 11 year old thread here, but I happened to be searching the forum, trying to find out how to tell a 3400 from a 3100. Upon reading this post, I realized that the 3100 I have sitting in my garage, which I pulled from my Lumina, has a B stamped on it. I'm also pretty sure that when I swapped in the 3400, I looked to make sure the stamp wasn't the same letter B, and the engine I swapped in had an A stamped on it. Is it possible that you guys have it reversed and the 3100 is the B, and the 3400 is the A, or did I somehow manage to swap in a motor that was really weak, for a downgrade? The original motor was a dog and it is much more powerful since the swap. Only upgrades are ported intake manifolds and a 65mm TB and plenum opening

Comment

3100 is a B
                    3400 is a A
                    3500 is a C (non vvt Lx9)
                    1999 Olds Alero 2.4 to 3500 swap (running). totaled by a honda
                    1992 lumina 4 door 3500 3spd auto 15.020 @93.5 mph
                    1984 Cavalier type 10 hatch 3100 5spd!!!
                    14.96@91.47 in the 1/4
                    9.63@74.36 in the 1/8th
                    14.30 on slicks! scrapped due to rust!

Comment

PHEW!!! LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X