2010 60V6 Meet Planning Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 60V6 Meet Planning Thread

WIth several months to go before summer, I would like to get started planning this year's 60V6 meet. Last year in Bowling Green was I think a big success. Camping worked out much better than expected thanks to great weather and some ingenuity from Chris .

The first order of business is the dates. Personally, I will already be driving to Ohio for the Pontiac Nationals August 6-8 and the Quad Cities of IL and IA August 19-22 for meets, so I'm out for those weekends. For me, June or July would be better, or even early September. But, I'm not going to frce a date decision just because it means I can come. Most people I know are planning on going to the V6Z24 meet in mid-July, and I know anytime after August 22nd most parents will be hard pressed to get out with kids in school. So right now the best dates appear to be anytime in June, early or late July, or Labor day weekend if necessary.

The 2nd order of business is location. I think Bowling Green worked out well last year and I'd love to go back, especially for the test and tune since the dragstrip is a fantastic facility. But I would also like to entertain the idea of having the meet be partially a driving tour. We did Mammoth Caves last year and I'm sure there are other parks and sites we have yet to explore, but I want to throw the idea out there of starting somewhere else and either ending up at Bowling Green or starting there and ending somewhere else, preferably with camping again. There was already talk last year of going someplace with good driving roads, and now being the owner of a GTO, I welcome that idea.

Of course, nothing says we have to go back to Bowling Green. I would welcome all destination ideas assuming they meet a few criteria:

1) It should generally be a central location to the majority of those interested in going (Sorry John, but Miami is NOT a central location )

2) It needs a good place to camp and a dragstrip within reasonable driving distance (an hour or less)

3) It needs to have some interesting attractions and things for us all to see/do, preferably with some good scenery.

Now, if we can get a good amount of people committed to go (say 25 cars or more), we could even talk about doing a car show day and/or having some sponsorships for the meet. This is something I've discussed with Joe and it's really helped his meet out. I guess it depends on how big we want this meet to get. But it's another idea. Anyway, let's start throwing the ideas out there.
    I may own a GTO now, but I'm still a 60V6er at heart.

Bowling Green is great IMO. I talked to Forced about the Jack Daniels tour that he went on, on his way back to florida. Sounds like a good driving tour destination to me. June is ok with me. I will be driving the GP most likely anyway so no worries there. I would like to go to the V6Z24 bash but 60V6 is the only mandatory meet for me.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Berettafest is June 24-27th in Chicago and the GM tuner Bash is Aug 5-8th in Ohio.

Comment

I'll be at the V6 bash 7/16 because it's here in my city.. lol

I'd really like to go to the 60v6 meet again, last year was great. I can't say if i'll have the Camaro ready for such a long trip so i might end up driving my trailblazer.

The drive to BG wasn't too bad, i had a long detour to pick Abob which added a few hours to the trip but it's something i can see myself doing again. Dates are a hard one for me, My wife's due 5/15 and i might be going to Florida for a week in June. Late July or any time in August would be the best for me.

As for activities, the caves were cool but an extended tour would be even better. If i take the Camaro i doubt i'd take down the track more than once or twice. I have a bad habit of breaking stuff and don't want to tow it home.
        Past Builds;
        1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
        1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
        Current Project;
        1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Bowling Green was a fun meet. I wouldn't mind taking another trip down there.

This time I WILL have my cavy (stupid clutch)

Comment

I too was extremely disappointed I couldn't make last years meet. I'm trying for the points again this year, hopefully finances will allow it. I have a meet in July at Norwalk for the Oldsmobile Nationals I'd like to go to too. If it lands on a points weekend it all depends on how well I'm doing, If I'm first for class in points I can't miss a weekend, if I suck.....I'll miss a weekend to go to meet. :P

BG was a great location for me seeing as how I'm in Cleveland and thats one of the Division 3 locations anyhow. If i can swing going, I'm game for anywhere within 24 hours drive of Cleveland.

i just went to Ames Iowa to rescue my cousin. Her '94 GA ate a trans. So we packed the truck, bought a used trans and took a drive, roughly 10 hours one way. Turned out to be a bad trans line and no fluid, local garage told her it needed a trans for $1200. Fixed the line, added 6 quarts, and geuss what? Trans was fine. So 10 hours to fix a trans line...another 10 should put me at the east end of the rockies? So figure anywhere in there. Miami works too AS LONG AS I DONT BRING THE WIFE! :P
            sigpicHow to make High performance Emissions:
            A "true" High flow converter, straight pipe.
            Low/No flow EGR valve, block off plate.
            Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
            PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

Bowling Green? Ah what the hell. Once is never enough for that place....I just hope they get Pearl in there to spruce up the restrooms some.
              Lorenzo
              '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
              '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

well thats quite a drive for the peeps down here in the south like Texas. How about a little closer to the center of the usa like oklahoma, missouri or arkansas?

Comment

Considering 80% of this site is from states like Michigan, Indiana, New York, etc (ie, the northeast), that is pretty close to the center.
                  -Brad-
                  89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                  sigpic
                  Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

How about MY backyard! LOL!

It's all about the trip and the experience.

I plan on attending if I can this year just to piss off Ben and run a 13.00 N/A and still drive it home.

Comment

Why would I be mad about that?
                      Ben
                      60DegreeV6.com
                      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

ok well take good pictures this year and tell me how it went. Wish i could go though and represent some southern flavor up there.

Comment

Originally posted by asylummotorsports View Post
                          How about MY backyard! LOL!

It's all about the trip and the experience.

I plan on attending if I can this year just to piss off Ben and run a 13.00 N/A and still drive it home.
                          We'll probably be going from FL to Nova Scotia this summer (wife's family) so a Canada venue sounds good outside of the 1/2 continent dogleg it would take to get in your backyard

Comment

I saw in the other planning post you guys thought of Cedar point and Norwalk dragway......
                            Not a bad idea, But I'll be the one to burst the bubble.

$99 a night for up to 4 adults at "Hotel at the Breakers". Hotel in the park. This gives you a $15 off per head entry to park. Bringing the $45 a head down to $30.
                            Cedar point is now so damn big its a 2-3 day park.
                            2 adults, 2 kids big enough to ride everything, roughly $1000-$1200 for 2.5 days including food. Ouch. I try to take my wife and 2 oldest daughters every year.

Norwalk, great track, can even camp there at track, showers, awesome paved pits, electric, decent food, etc... EXPENSIVE.
                            They may work out a deal with us, but if we plan with Norwalk I think it best to literally plan the year ahead so it makes it out in their flyer with the next year's schedule.

If you got the Norwalk/sandusky route I say great but plan now and arrange with Norwalk for meet in 2011, Make the event 1 day at Norwalk, plan for 2 days at Cedar Point, and you can even throw in a day, via fairy, to Put-in-Bay islands,(1/2 hour from cedar point) great restaurants, nice beaches if in late July/aug, lots of island brew's and wines, and they even have caves! If planned with norwalk this far in advance, we may get alot of people showing at Norwalk and increase members.
                            sigpicHow to make High performance Emissions:
                            A "true" High flow converter, straight pipe.
                            Low/No flow EGR valve, block off plate.
                            Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
                            PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

So what are we doing? It's almost june.
                              Lorenzo
                              '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
                              '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

Working...
                              X