X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HayesPerformance View Post
    Trailing Arms:

GM Tubular Trailing Arms #12498649
    (Comes as a pair, complete with bushings)
    (Fit 1st and 2nd Gen. W-bodies)
    I went looking for a pair of these last night and came up with the bad news that they aren't made anymore.

I did, however, find some stock replacements made by Dorman that have 1/2" x 1/2" tube steel instead of the crappy U channel that stock uses. The Dormans do use rubber bushings though.

I bought a set today (~$50 for the pair) and plan on removing the rubber ones and replacing them with the poly bushings in my stock ones when I start wrenching on the 92.

I had them look up a set for a 96 Monte Z34.

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
      I went looking for a pair of these last night and came up with the bad news that they aren't made anymore.

I did, however, find some stock replacements made by Dorman that have 1/2" x 1/2" tube steel instead of the crappy U channel that stock uses. The Dormans do use rubber bushings though.

I bought a set today (~$50 for the pair) and plan on removing the rubber ones and replacing them with the poly bushings in my stock ones when I start wrenching on the 92.

I had them look up a set for a 96 Monte Z34.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...RPCHASAMS_____
      The poly bushings for stock trailing arms DO INDEED fit the Dorman tailing arms.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
      Attached Files
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

What poly bushings did you use in the Dorman trailing arms?
        I am debating if I should order the BMR trailing arms or if I should just get the Dorman.

I put a addco 639 rear swaybar on the 2011 Impala and the change in handling is amazing.
        I did have to grind down the split lock retainers that attach to the bar, but otherwise a quick and clean install.

At some point I will probably upgrade my front swaybar to the Dorman 927-100.
        I hear they are excellent quality and that they are a solid bar. It is also slightly larger than my stock front bar.
        Last edited by onefastV6; 08-12-2012, 10:36 PM.
        2000 Grand Am GT
        2011 Chevy Impala

"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter

Comment

My stock arms had bushings from RSM. I haven't installed them yet so I could measure the bushings if you like.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

you might want to check the specs on these

these maybe very close and they come in red also

Comment

This really isn't a suspension upgrade I found, more like a chassis upgrade. Very interesting, none the less...

lumina roll cage screenie.jpg
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

my front sway bar on the cutlass seems to have some wear, what is the best upgrade for bushing on a stocker with FE3?

Comment

Energy suspension greasable urethane sway bar mounts. Just be sure to grease them every year or prepare to hear them squeak over bumps when the grease runs out.
                  -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Energy suspension greasable urethane sway bar mounts. Just be sure to grease them every year or prepare to hear them squeak over bumps when the grease runs out.
                    I noticed when fully stopped and I turn the steering wheel full right or left there is a creaking noise. Could that be them bushing? I checked today I have some tie rod end play on the driver's side. could that make the creaking noise?

Comment

Sway bar bushings will only squeak with up and down travel of the suspension. When stopped the suspension is not traveling so my best guess would be strut mounts or spring bearings. Tie rod ends and ball joints do not tend to squeak. They just tend to make a knocking sound as the fit of the ball gets looser and looser in the socket.
                      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Sway bar bushings will only squeak with up and down travel of the suspension. When stopped the suspension is not traveling so my best guess would be strut mounts or spring bearings. Tie rod ends and ball joints do not tend to squeak. They just tend to make a knocking sound as the fit of the ball gets looser and looser in the socket.
                        how hard is it to replace the strut mounts and strut bearings? I replaced the shocks a few years back by using the tool and just replacing the cartridge.

Comment

The bearings are under the springs so your front suspension comes completely apart. I bought new plates with bearings installed by Monroe from rock auto last year, haven't swapped them out, but the car is still in about 1,000 pieces.
                          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

The bearings are under the springs so your front suspension comes completely apart. I bought new plates with bearings installed by Monroe from rock auto last year, haven't swapped them out, but the car is still in about 1,000 pieces.
                            sounds like a big job to tackle to remove the driveshafts, brakes (again) to drop the lower control arm, then the strut assembly.

Comment

And be safe about it. Coil springs have enough energy stored in them to take your head of if you aren't careful.
                              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Working...
                              X