zzp diagonal braces on a gen1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zzp diagonal braces on a gen1

a while ago i bought some zzp diagonal braces and contemplated adapting them to my car since they were relatively in expensive, looked good and weighed 1/2 as much as the stockers.

i am about 3/4 of the way done and decided to post about it so far. mine is on a 94 w-body with a 91-93 wiring setup.

the passenger's is by far the easiest. the original bar is the exact length needed. to make it fit i had to do the following:

slightly enlarge one of the 2 holes in the bar. 5 minute job.
    cut a little section out of the fusebox plastic cover near the strut tower and also slim it down some.
    cut a small notch into the upper rad support.

about 20-30 minutes if u know what to do ahead of time.

the driver's side however take quite a bit more work. 1st off the bar is a little too long and will have to be cut down on the flange. basically, it has the 2 bolt holes, the inside hole on the flange lines up with the outside hole on the rad support, so i will have to cut the flange off after the inside hole of the bar and drill a second hole in it for the inside rad support bolt hole.

or if u want to be lazy just go with one bolt instead of 2 on the upper rad support.

next a natch has to be cut into the rad support,pretty deep compared to the other notch. it will have to be cut to about an 1/8 from the 1st bolt hole.

1 of the 2 mounting studs for the driver's fuse box has to be cut off, i haveen't addressed mounting the fusebox yet but it shouldn't be hard.

the steel is pretty thick and i my tools just can't cut it(literally) i have the lines drawn and everything, i just need to drop it off at the machine shop and have them cut the flange and drill the hole.

basically all i have left is to have the bar cut and drilled and to relocated the fusebox.

i'll have pix once i am done.
    The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

Interesting. Subscribed
    Corey's 95 GP - Engine/Trans installed
    02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
    www.blackbombshell95.com

Comment

Wanna see pics
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

i'll try to get some pix tomorrow. i recieved the bar back from the machine shop they have one of the holes setup and the flange cut down to my liking but they narrowly missed the second hole and i have to take it back monday to have them dig a little deeper.

i plan on making a crude bracket tomorrow for the fusebox relocation and after which i will take pix of the install and modifications and it will be complete minus that 1 bolt hole.

also i will take measurements so if any1else wants to do this, it will be more precise than my trial.

lastly, after the install is 100% complete i will try to throw together an actual guide/walkthrough and make an article to support the site some.

Comment

i have finished except for getting that last hole to match the bolt. machine shop will take care of that monday.

to summarize, if you have not relocated your battery this swap will pretty much be impossible unless you try relocating your windshield washer tank or maybe instead of sliding your fusebox back, you rotate it around and re-mount to the strut tower.

this was on a gp gtp btw i know on the lumi's the coolant res tank is different as well as the windshield washer tank. you may have to change over to gp stuff and i have no idea what the cutty's tanks look like.

p.s. i'll have pix soon.
          Last edited by dohcfiend; 07-01-2007, 02:58 PM.

Comment

here is the finished pic, i'll have more soon.
            Last edited by dohcfiend; 12-31-2007, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Nice. I would like to see close up pics of the work that you did.
              Corey's 95 GP - Engine/Trans installed
              02 GTP - 90* > Failboat
              www.blackbombshell95.com

Comment

i finally got my bar back today but have not test fitted it yet. it should fit by looking at it.

i'll have the measurements soon.

here are some more pix.

what exactly did u need a close-up of?
                Last edited by dohcfiend; 12-31-2007, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X