Rear suspension clunking over bumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear suspension clunking over bumps

I have a 1988 Cutlass Supreme International with FE3 suspension.

Last month I have replaced the rear shocks with some new Monroe sensa-tracs, new upper strut mounts and new boots.

Now I hear a rear clunk on the driver's rear everytime I'm driving on uneven pavement or bumps.

The rear swaybar links were still intact and not broken.

Any help is appreciated.

check the springs pads for the rear monoleaf. They wear out over time, and can make clunking noises, as well as squeeking noises.
    Taylor
    1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
    1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
    1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
    1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
    "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

Originally posted by 3100 MPFI View Post
      check the springs pads for the rear monoleaf. They wear out over time, and can make clunking noises, as well as squeeking noises.
      would changing the spring pads be an easy job for a DIYer? I have seen pics of some special spring compressor for that monoleaf.

Comment

I've never used any special tools to remove the mono-leaf... Here's a txt file detailing what needs to be done... Seeing that FFP is no longer in business there shouldn't be a problem with me posting part the instructions for installing the coil-overs....
        Hope this is helpful,,,,
        Tom....
        Attached Files
        Last edited by walterdude; 02-09-2009, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Firstyou will want to get under the car and inspect the pads. the rubber is bonded to the fiberglass.. if you see broken down or no rubber you will want to fix this. There is a kit out there that will remedy this, it is called the spring helper kit. It is two polyurethane blocks that sit on the rear knuckles and the tips of the spring sit on these blocks. You can install them yourself by jacking up on the spring wit ha block of wood. Raise it enough so you can srape all th eold material off the spring tip and be able to slide the helper blocks on the knunckle. its pretty straight forward but will take a couple of hours. Cheaper than buying a new spring. Les time than removing the spring...besides I dont think GM sells the rubber pads anymore...You can get these from RockAuot.com or from GM.
          Lorenzo
          '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
          '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

I got mine from NAPA. They were about $25 a set.
            Taylor
            1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
            1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
            1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
            1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
            "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

i have the same problem but i just found it.. my car also squeaks all the time.. Do you know the 2 rods that are on each side of the spring? They go from the support crossmember to the knuckle assembly.. Well the rear rod on my car the bushing is like totaly gone and the wheel moves like the front as if you were checking for bad tie rod ends.. The whole rear wheel shakes and squeaks and vibrates b/c of that rear rod.. I just found this out 30 mins ago after i just put them helper spacer things in..

You might want to check that.. its only a idea and a good way to point you..

Now for me i have to have fun trying to get this from a local yard..
              Robert
              ---------------------------------------------------
              96 Grand Prix SE 3100 202,000 miles
              New Rebuilt 3100
              New Rebuilt 4T60-E
              Exhaust
              Drilled/Slotted Rotors

95 Grand Prix GTP 177,000 miles
              White
              3" Magnaflow Catback
              Lowered 2" Eibach in front Brichmount Rear
              94-96 Hi-Po 5 Stars on 245/50/16

90 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix
              5 Speed Swapped
              Spec Stage 3 Clutch
              230,000 mile Getrag 282
              Emissions Deleted
              Brand new Engine 1,000 Miles
              Fully Custom Built car

Comment

Originally posted by 3100 MPFI View Post
                I got mine from NAPA. They were about $25 a set.
                you got a part number from napa?
                gm dealer says the spring rubber is not available.

Comment

no napa part number??

Comment

Try RockAuto.com. Moog K6544. Isolator pads for the rear spring. $17.14
                    Lorenzo
                    '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
                    '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

this is old...
                      but clunking is probably a busted strut!! haha check where your struts connect with the mount (near the top) to see if the strut itself has been rubbing inside the wheel well. creaking and moaning is normal for those pads. but ive yet to hear a clunk

-also check where your exhaust it routed. my regal went over a rear crossmember instead of under and would ALWAYS hit it when the ass end of the car dropped from a bump. so very annoying. fix? i jammed some tire chunks in between the subframe and the tail pipe. safe? who cares. quiet? yes.

My Cardomain Page | My Random Online Gallery<- (Now Fixed)

Comment

Working...
                      X