No announcement yet.

Steering Rack replacement in 93 Lumina.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Rack replacement in 93 Lumina.

Any tips on replaceing the rack? Looks like i'll have to drop the subframe some in order to do it. The service manual doesn't really show much, figured you guys might have some experience in this area. Thanks!
    94 Cavalier 3.1V6 5 Speed

I replaced my 93 Z34 rack while I was swapping an engine/tranny and the subframe was already out. That being said, I'm almost sure the subframe needs to be dropped. At least lowered. The subframe bushings may be shot when you do.. Mine looked fine until I pulled them apart... And I DO mean apart!!! Nasty!!
    Something that seems to work for me is before you separate the tie-rod end from the suspension loosen the lock-nut and re-tighten it finger tight.. When you're ready count how many turns it takes to remove the tie-rod end. When you install the tie-rod ends just thread them in the same amount of turns. Mine was so close that I didn't even get it aligned right away...
    It's an old trick and you doubtless already know it.. If so,, sorry...
    Good luck,,
    Tom..
    Last edited by walterdude; 07-17-2009, 11:28 PM.

Comment

When I did mine years ago (~7?) I think I dropped the rear of my frame about 2 inches, undid the tie rod ends from the knuckles, undid the lines and input shaft, and slid it out the drivers side. I picked the drivers side because of how I had it parked in my grampas garage over his pit since it was about 15 degrees outside.
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

I lowered my subframe a few inches too when I replaced mine. I believe I slid it out the drivers side wheel well.

I have a rebuilt steering rack if you need one cheap. I used it for about 5000 miles before I switched over to a tighter raito TGP rack. This one is 3 turns lock to lock and pretty much like new. I'd take $50 plus shipping if you're interested.
        1991 Grand Prix GTP LX9swap/Getrag 284 --- SOLD =(
        1994 Corvette
        LT1/ZF6
        2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
        3.7/42RLE

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I managed to get it done today without too much difficulty. Dropped the rear of the subframe down about 5 inches. The hardest part was getting the lines off the old rack. Also got the ball joints off, they had about 1/8" of play.
          Tommorow just gotta get the new ball joints and bearings on and it will be all done and ready for an alignment.
          94 Cavalier 3.1V6 5 Speed

Comment

Sorry to post in an old thread but what all did you do to lower the back of the cradle? What all did you undo and did you have to use an engine holder thingy at the top of the engine bay? Did you use a jack under the rear frame? Did it screw up some of your cradle bushings as mentioned before?
            1992 Grand Prix SE 3.1l 155k SOLD
            1992 Grand Prix GTP 3.4l 55K
            1991 Grand Prix GTP 3.4l 5 speed 99K SOLD
            1988 Pontiac Fiero GT 2.8 5 speed Turbo 36K Sold
            2011 Mazda 3s 5dr 6 speed
            2008 Grand Prix GXP 5.3l 24K sold

Comment

I used a jack under the rear of the subframe - it doesnt hurt anything. Be sure to loosen the front subframe bolts a bit before undoing the rears. Don't forget about the pinch bolt on the rack/column.
              1991 Grand Prix GTP LX9swap/Getrag 284 --- SOLD =(
              1994 Corvette
              LT1/ZF6
              2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
              3.7/42RLE

Comment

Working...
              X