strut cartridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strut cartridge

Does anybody have a picture of the front strut cartridge removal tool?? My manual says to use a long torx which I have a set of. The other piece in the manual looks like a large sparkplug socket. Any ideas here?? Reason I ask is I plan on getting some donor strut assemblies from the JY. Then have them prepped and powder coated to do front coil overs and want to show up with the right tools.
    1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP / 3.4 DOHC

I have the one made by kent-moore tools, If you look on e-bay they will have them for sure and will probably be cheaper too....
    1991 Grand Prix STE
    3.4 DOHC
    1 of 792 Produced
    Extensive Mods Done

1991 Lumina Z34
    3.4 DOHC
    Getrag 284 5spd
    1 of 30
    Canadian Z34 Models Made with the Getrag 5spd Wahoooo!

1980 GMC Sierra Classic C25 With 18,000 ORIGINAL MILES!!!!

sigpic

Comment

It takes a 1/2" drive by the way and is about 6-7" long, The most hardest part is pushing the strut rod down and locking it IF the strut is good.
      1991 Grand Prix STE
      3.4 DOHC
      1 of 792 Produced
      Extensive Mods Done

1991 Lumina Z34
      3.4 DOHC
      Getrag 284 5spd
      1 of 30
      Canadian Z34 Models Made with the Getrag 5spd Wahoooo!

1980 GMC Sierra Classic C25 With 18,000 ORIGINAL MILES!!!!

sigpic

Comment

It doesn't help for installation (well it does but it's ugly), but if the old strut shaft won't go down or if you can't wait for the tool to arrive in the mail there is another option. There are 4 little holes drilled into the top where the tool inserts. I opened up two of the holes one across from the other and used a cold chisel tapping a little on each side till it was free. Probably not the way to go installing new struts that have a warranty, but for removing the old cartridges it can be effective.

Comment

$22.79

The OTC-7568A looks to be a better set, but runs around $100.

BTW, if you can't push the new strut down enough, jack the front up a little. I would say not more then 2 inches. Go too far and your springs will shoot out. I know they say not to in the instructions, but this made it a whole lot easier to install mine.

I also just found this:

$13.95

$14 you can't go wrong, so I think I am going to pick one up.
          Last edited by pocket-rocket; 09-23-2009, 02:06 PM.
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
          Originally posted by Jay Leno
          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Thanks that's exactly what I needed. I don't want to pay the JY for old worn out cartridges that I would just trash anyway.

Comment

If you have the assembly out of the car, then you have to start getting into using a strut spring compressor, which can get dangerous if you don't pay attention to what you are doing (read: you can get killed if it lets go). I don't normally like to have anyone around when I do struts that require removing the springs, and I also point it outside my garage in case it lets go so it doesn't bounce all around doing more damage and possibly hit me more then once. Luckily I have yet to have a compressor pop off *knocks on wood*
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

It is possible to get those nuts off without a special tool in a pinch. If you jack the car up just enough to spread the springs and lift up the Bellows you CAN get in there with a big pipe wrench. My "special" $14 tool from Advance stripped, that one WAS STUCK!! Had to use heat.. Don't know why,, just changed the struts out last fall, used never-seize. As mentioned if you jack it too much you will un-seat the spring. You can leave the top strut mount loosely installed so that won't happen,,, IF you like to feel safe!! Jacking also helps to seat the top strut mount so you can install the top plate that holds everything in..
                Good luck,,,
                Tom...

Comment

I found some decent looking assemblies with hardly any rust on a 95 lumina with drum brakes on the back, today at the JY. It looks the same but I'm not 100% sure.

I also found aluminum sleeves for the rear calipers on a Lumina Z34. They are much lighter than the steel ones usually found on the rear calipers. I was surprised to find a part like this on a W-body. They are anodized blue that's how I spotted them.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by GTP091; 09-28-2009, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GTP091 View Post
                    I found some decent looking assemblies with hardly any rust on a 95 lumina with drum brakes on the back, today at the JY. It looks the same but I'm not 100% sure.
                    They are the same.

If you're going to go that route though, might as well find a set of strut towers with the 11.25" rotors. '95 Lumina probably won't have them, but it might.
                    -Tony | gtsdurango.net
                    '04 Dakota Quad Cab SLT 4x4 - the gas guzzling DD.
                    '90 Turbo Grand Prix STE - ehh.. I'm working on it.
                    '92 Gutless Supreme SL - RIP 5.2010
                    '90 Turbo Grand Prix - RIP 6.15.2005

Comment

Originally posted by GutlessSupreme View Post
                      They are the same.

If you're going to go that route though, might as well find a set of strut towers with the 11.25" rotors. '95 Lumina probably won't have them, but it might.
                      Very interesting. I had no idea there was a larger disc option on later w bodies. What years and models can I find this on??? I imagine the calipers and calper bracket is also different. And there are no bolt up problems??

Just so we're clear here is the part I'm looking at modifying. This is off the W-body site and not my picture...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, you need that whole assembly from a newer W-Body. Not sure what years, prob 96-97... Either on this site or wbody.com (more likely) there IS a write up on everything that is needed and how to do it. Basically you need everything in your pic plus calipers and rotors from the newer DONOR... I haven't done it,, but I've heard it helps alot....
                        Sooo, a search is in order,,
                        AND,,, Good luck!!
                        Tom...

Comment

I've heard very good things from this as well.
                          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

my 1995 Monte Z34 has the larger factory disc brakes. its part of the newer F41 or FE3 package... IIRC. the caliper is the same, you need the newer Spindles and larger rotor, your hubs and your calipers are the same. if you look online for new rotors for a car it will show 2 different sizes, that should tell you what cars came with them.
                            Shane "RedZMonte"
                            2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
                            1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
                            -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
                            2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
                            1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
                            1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
                            1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
                            1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

I will have to keep an eye out for these then. My local Junkyard has zero coupe grand prix's right now. 3 z34's though. I will start measuring rotors as I see them and maybe I will get lucky as there are a few montys and newer luminas but I never pay attention to them save if they have an LQ1. I would like to have the parts lined up for when I order the front coilover parts. Just waiting on the rears to get across the border now.
                              Last edited by GTP091; 09-30-2009, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X