Stubborn Suspension Bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stubborn Suspension Bolts

Anybody know of any special trick at getting the lateral links unbolted from the rear knuckle?? I've tried taking it off with an impact gun, a breaker bar and both after heating the knuckle up with a torch. Any ideas?? I'm also having trouble with getting the 15mm bolts off of the rear suspension bracket that holds the leaf and lateral links.
    1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP / 3.4 DOHC

lol they are a biotch! My Trailing arm bolts where on there so hard my mechanic had to cut the trailing arm off to get enough heat on the end of the bolt/knuckle to get it loose..

heat and soak it in PB Blaster then use a strong impact. Might want to take it to a shop and have them break it lose for you.. would be cheap and less headache for you

S
    Shane "RedZMonte"
    2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
    1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
    -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
    2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
    1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
    1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
    1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
    1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

The knuckle might be soaking up all of the heat you put in there and might not be getting hot enough. You might have to step up to a MAPP gas torch or bust out the ol' oxy/acet. torch to get enough heat to bust it loose. If it comes to that, I hope you have new trailing arm bushings
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

The bushings are already shot. I'm looking at getting some new ones from NAPA tomorrow. I was finally able to get the top nut off the shocks this afternoon. I wish I could take the car to a mechanic but it's missing the rear suspension now. I may just put the coil overs in now and get powder coated arms and kuckles later. Mine are quite rusty and may not be worth it. thanks for the replies, I'll try the PB blaster>

Comment

just get them sand blasted, they will clean up nice.. and a little rattle can will go a long way.. Just don't blast the bolt threads or they will fit a little lose... when reinstalling the new bolts don't be afraid to use a little antisieze.

S
          Shane "RedZMonte"

Comment

I ended up cutting it all from my buddies car. They were shot anyway. POS metal.
            Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by RedZMonte View Post
              when reinstalling the new bolts don't be afraid to use a little antisieze.

S
              Some new Ford suspension pinch bolts come with antiseize already on them. Also when I have a hard time removing a tire/rim from a vehicle with steel wheels I take a flap wheel to the hub to remove the rust (I don't do it long enough to enlarge the hole), then I antiseize the back of the rim where it contacts the rotor, and the hole I flap wheeled. Haven't had a problem taking tires back off that I've done this too. Antiseize FTW!
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Still no luck on these bolts. I tried the PB blaster and put the impact back on and nothing. I did manage to find struts for the back that will fit the coil over sleeves so will be replacing those. The stock struts were 2 3/16 " and the new ones are 2". Good to know for those doing coilover sleeves. For those of you that put tubular lateral links on your w Bodies were you guys able to get the bolts out yourselves?? I can't find knuckles anywhere at an auto parts store reman or new, even rockauto doesn't have them and GM is discontinued. Only wreckers have a pair of them but $150 for a pair of old rusted knuckles no better than mine is no better option. Still ideal to get mine off.

Comment

take it to a mechanic and have them break the bolts lose.. that is my best thoughts... somtimes i suck up my pride and have my mechanic do his worst on rusty bolts.... they can be a huge headache..
                  Shane "RedZMonte"

Comment

I worked at a guys shop where my air tools operated really well. He had his compressor turned up to about 150 psi. Then I watched this which made me think about my air compressor. The water heater in that video blew at over twice of the rated pressure, so I got brave and cranked my air compressor up to 150. Now things run nice in my garage too, including my impact
                    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Working...
                    X