Big brake kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big brake kit

i have a 2002 malibu as you can tell from my sig..so obviously it's an n-body. and if any of you ever had one you'll know that that handle and brakes on it are absolute garbage!!!!!!

so..since i keep adding power..id like to keep adding stopping power as well..im not trying to kill myself or someone else with a runaway car.

so what other GM car out there can i get bigger rotors/calipers off of to do a big break conversion. i still have drums in the back and im wondering if its wise to do the drum-disc conversion from an alero. so what parts can i mix and match to get the big breaks?

is there a better break fluid i could be running? im going to have them bleeded soon to release air bubbles (if any) and hopefully that will help alittle. someone said the ABS systems on these cars are crap and when ever the ABS is engaged some air might get in the lines.

also where can i get decent priced stainless brake lines? or anything else you think will help stopping power.

and does anyone know if they make better sway bars for my car? i know they used to but they dont seem to exist anymore..and that sucks cuz they would help soooooooo much.
    2002 Chevy Malibu 3400sfi - Project Sleeper - Good night

Boost - Coming soon to a malibu near you.

GM N-Body (2nd Gen) - Grand Am GT would be best bet for any upgrades. Check out Tirerack.com for stainless lines, better rotors, pads, ect... im sure the swaybars would be interchangeable as well... Any N-Body guys know for sure? I know all w-Body vechicles (in the same generation) are interchangeable with one another, i would be supprised if it would be different for any other body vehicle.

If any of these cars have larger diameter brakes from factory you should be able to swap them onto yours... Most likely the Grand AM GT is going to have the largest/Best suspension from the factory..

1999-2004 Oldsmobile Alero
    1999-2005 Pontiac Grand Am
    1997-1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass
    1997-2003 Chevrolet Malibu
    2004-2005 Chevrolet Classic (a previous-generation Malibu sold to fleet buyers)
    Last edited by RedZMonte; 05-03-2010, 08:00 PM.
    Shane "RedZMonte"
    2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
    1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
    -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
    2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
    1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
    1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
    1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
    1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

I use the DOT 3-4 brake fluid in my car. Disc brakes in the rear will help a lot as well. As for the runaway car comment, good thing you don't have a Toyota
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

im not sure the grand am has larger brakes though. if any gm is going to have large brakes my guess would be the camaro and corvette. but does they still have the same hub bolt pattern?

Comment

I doubt it. My brakes on the 92 are from a 91 Corvette ZR1, and front and rear rotors had to be redrilled. Here is the post I made where I had posted up about the Corvette brake swap on my car.

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

so i could do that i'd just need them redrilled and would vette calipers bolt up? i know camaros do IIRC. pardon me if this is totally wrong but could i put vette wheel hubs on my car to support the vette brakes?

Comment

Vette calipers didn't even bolt right up to my car, so I highly doubt it. I was actually contemplating redoing my lug pattern to make my lug pattern the same as a Vette, which means 1. New rotors wouldn't need redrilled, 2. Any rim that fit on a Vette would fit on my car, depending on offset and width. I saw a guy years ago that redid his lug pattern on his Fiero and changed it to the same lug spacing as a Porche and put Porche wheels on his Fiero. It actually looked really nice like that.
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

how do u redo a lug pattern?

Comment

It's hard to explain, but it involved a correct spacer for the Porshe lug pattern, redrilling it and the hub and installing longer wheel studs. I wish I could find it on the net...

Edit: Now lookie there

fiero.cc is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, fiero.cc has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                  -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

There are several choices for larger front brakes:

You can use Impala 11.9" rotors with Camaro brakets and either C5 Corvette or LS1 Camaro calipers. This is very economical and can fit behind most 16" wheels. A decent setup can be had for as little as $350.

13" big brake kits are available from Baer Racing and Stainless Steel Brakes. They both use twin-piston aluminum calipers. Expect to pay just north of $750.00. Baer 13" brakes fit under 17" wheels, while the SSBC kit needs 18" wheels.
                    I have had a 13" Baer kit on my car for probably 8 years now.

If you look on ebay, Revolution Motorsports sells a 14" big brake kit using Wilwood 4-piston caliper. I haven't heard any feedback on this yet but it's pretty cheap (given the quality of the hardware) at nearly $1200.

For rear brakes, if you do a rear disc conversion, the 12" setup from a 05-06 Grand Prix GXP bolts right up.
                    But since you have drums, SSBC sells a rear drum-to-disc kit that gets you 12" rotors. Either option is pretty pricey though.

Most big brake kits will come with new stainless lines, but Goodrige makes a set that can be found for about $120.

I'm partial to Motul RBF600 brake fluid. ATE SuperBlue isn't too bad either. Wilwood and Brembo also make higher-temp brake fluids.
                    If you are made of money, Castrol SRF is the best out there (about $75 for 1 liter).
                    Last edited by mfuller; 05-05-2010, 01:46 AM.
                    Matt
                    2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS sedan
                    3400/3500 hybrid, Diamond Racing forged pistons, Scat I-beams, TCE DRTC, ported heads, WOT Race cam, PAC 1518s, Manley valves, F40 6-speed with Quaife LSD

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                      I doubt it. My brakes on the 92 are from a 91 Corvette ZR1, and front and rear rotors had to be redrilled. Here is the post I made where I had posted up about the Corvette brake swap on my car
                      Any chance of getting measurements for that rear caliper adapter bracket? I asked in your original thread, but you mentioned that you and Ben had considered remaking them and that was it. I'm still interested in either having a bracket made or buying one.

Comment

Besides starting that poor car and running it down the road a couple weeks ago I haven't touched it. I'll see if I can't pull it and make some quick measurements once I get things rolling to get that car back on the road since I finally landed a job that should be worth more than a headache.
                        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                          I finally landed a job that should be worth more than a headache.
                          Congrats!! At the RV place you were talking about in another thread?
                          -Brad-
                          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                          sigpic
                          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

*raises hand* I too own an N-body that had those terrible stock brakes.

I replaced my rear disc with 2000 Alero rear disc, bolted right on, using my original parking brake cables and flex lines.

I replaced my front brakes with Impala brakes, disc and caliper. I had looked into using the Corvette/Camaro dual piston calipers, but at the time to get the parts, was going to cost me several hundred dollars. So I used the Impala calipers. The only modification I had to do was enlarge the caliper anchor mounting bolts in the steering knuckle to 14mm. Using the Corvette/Camaro calipers this step is not needed.

Best upgrade I have done to the car, stops quicker with more control, but the best part is, I'm not replacing pads and rotors every six months like I was when I had the stock brakes, and no, I'm not hard on my brakes, the stock N-body brakes are known for wearing out or warping quickly.

I think I had less than $250 into upgrading all 4 corners, good deal on good used parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
                              Congrats!! At the RV place you were talking about in another thread?
                              Thank you Yes sir, Keystone RV. It's known around here for being one of the top paying places to work, but I start at 4:30am, but I'll manage

Edit: Please forgive the partial thread-jack, Rootie.
                              Last edited by pocket-rocket; 05-11-2010, 10:52 PM. Reason: apologies
                              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Working...
                              X