'01 Impala 3400 PS pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '01 Impala 3400 PS pump

Yesterday the serpentine belt came off my '01 Impala's 3400 and when I checked I saw that the power steering pump shaft had come out from the pump. However, when I turned it a little and pushed on it it went back into the pump, almost as if it was being pulled back in.

Any idea what might've happened? There's still plenty of fluid in the reservoir but enough got out to coat the belt and pulleys. Could it be that the pump's still good but the shaft seal has failed? Or should I replace the pump anyway? Thanks!

Replace that pump

Comment

Originally posted by unchained01 View Post
      Replace that pump
      I figured that would be the answer. How difficult a job is it? I did some checking and it seems that I don't have to remove the pulley in order to do the job, but I'll still need to swap it from the old shaft to the new.

Comment

Big box parts stores. Have the tool for rent. I think I paid 45 for mine new. Some are/were composite so don't use a hammer on them.

Comment

Yes, no hammers. I changed the pump on my neighbors old 07 Impala. You are correct, you do not have to remove the pulley to remove the pump but the new pump will need the old pulley. It's an easy job, but keep some rags on hand and something to put the ends of the hoses in to keep from getting PS fluid everywhere.
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
          Originally posted by Jay Leno
          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
          X