Foot brake pedal not popping back up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : Foot brake pedal not popping back up

Okay I don't have a 100% percent working foot brakes on my 1988 cutlass supreme.
    Last few years I replace the rear right and left cables that connect to the rear calipers.
    Still it would not function 100% trouble free, it would stick and I would need to crawl down and use a pair of pliers and pull back the cable so it disengages completely.
    Well this morning I got a new cable section that connects to the foot pedal and replaced it. Now the problem I have is trying to free the rusted long threaded cable end and the nut for adjustment. I have tried heating it up with a torch, it squeaks a bit but does not move. Then some liquid wrench and still nada.

the early w-body e-brake does some really stuff at times.

for instance, you may want to take a look under the dash and make sure everything is operating correctly there. when certain parts run dry, they stick, usually causing the pedal to follow your foot(so you get e-brake operation while you're pushing on it but it acts as if the release lever is always pulled).
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
      the early w-body e-brake does some really stuff at times.

for instance, you may want to take a look under the dash and make sure everything is operating correctly there. when certain parts run dry, they stick, usually causing the pedal to follow your foot(so you get e-brake operation while you're pushing on it but it acts as if the release lever is always pulled).
      That is for epic drifting action in the winter time and on dirt roads... is feature, not bug. I hate GM brakes. I hate Ford brakes too... never owned a Chrysler product that wasn't a Mitsu and the jury is still on my Kia as I've only had it for a month.
      sigpic

"When you don't do anything, you have plenty of time to post questions that don't mean anything tomorrow."
      - Ben

Comment

when you think all my car problems have come to a full stop. Still unable to loosen the brake equalizing thingy the long threaded part of the passenger brake cable snapped in half. Now I need to order a new cable and replace it. What else can break and fail on me now?

BTW the new front brake cable is working fine as it pops back the pedal, so the old cable was seize or rusted internally.

Comment

Comment

I replaced the passenger side brake cable. any ideas how to get that broken threaded section out of the nut?
            I was thinking of cutting a slot using a dremel and then using a screwdriver to hold it while I use a wrench to turn.

Comment

heat is your friend here

Comment

a new equalizer isn't particularly expensive..... and neither would be the other rear cable at this point. i'm actually having to replace the entire length myself on the MC, i've had to rely on it to stop the car without hydraulic brakes a few too many times and now it nearly drags on the ground when not applied and doesn't actually have an effect when applied now either.
                1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                Latest nAst1 files here!
                Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by unchained01 View Post
                  heat is your friend here
                  yes I heated it up and it was moving and then snap. you can see the last picture it is black color from the heat.
                  a new equalizer isn't particularly expensive..... and neither would be the other rear cable at this point. i'm actually having to replace the entire length myself on the MC, i've had to rely on it to stop the car without hydraulic brakes a few too many times and now it nearly drags on the ground when not applied and doesn't actually have an effect when applied now either.
                  how much is an equalizer? rockauto? got to have the emergency brakes, and brakes 100% working before winter hits.

Comment

i just got an ACDeldo one off of ebay for slightly less than it would have cost on rockauto.

Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Originally posted by unchained01 View Post
                      heat is your friend here
                      i just got an ACDeldo one off of ebay for slightly less than it would have cost on rockauto.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261570717885
                      Great score on the equalizer. Well the one on the car is still good, since I am already dumping alot of money for repairs on the cutlass. If I cannot get the threaded part out then I have no choice to buy a new one. Damn car better drive like new after I get all these repairs done on it. lol!

Comment

Just grind it off if you insist reusing it.

Fyi its 'Parking Brake'. Not intended for emergency stopping a vehicle.
                        Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988GTU View Post
                          Just grind it off if you insist reusing it.

Fyi its 'Parking Brake'. Not intended for emergency stopping a vehicle.
                          Yeah I ended up taking out the equalizer and torching the crap out of it, finally got the threaded part out of the nut. I got to rustproof it with something so next time I don't need to go through this again. Damn rust. Oh I got to check the drivers side rear cable to make sure it is moving or might need to replace it with a new cable too.

Comment

Working...
                          X