Inside rotor face question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question : Inside rotor face question

Why does the insides of the rotors face always have bad contact with the pads?
    the outside seems to be ok but the insides do not make a good contact so the surface starts to rust. Also why don't they make a pads that extends more to the outer of the rotor and closer to the hat of the rotor. You can see some serious rust on the ridges and if they make a pads that sweeps that area there would be less rust.

no one knows why the insides are always in worst condition as the outsides?

Comment

Deeper grooves on the inside surface would mean you have slides that are stuck and your inside pad would be doing a majority of your braking on that corner. If your rotor wear shows the inside not making contact and the outside shows its doing the braking, you need to take some emery cloth, sandpaper, flapwheel or a steel brush to the seating area for the pad because it a getting hung up.

I almost always check to make sure pads slide free, and if they don't, I will address it with the above solutions.

As for pads that reach closer to the hat and farther out, there are manufacturers that do. BMW is one of them.
      Last edited by pocket-rocket; 08-28-2014, 08:18 AM.
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Both sides should look the same. If they dont, you have caliper issues.
        sigpic
        1994 Oldsmobile Cultass Supreme SL
        3400/Getrag 284 5spd
        1995 Chevy K1500 350c.i. 5spd Z71
        350/NV3500 5spd
        2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

I am using the synthetic brake lube grease for the silders and the backing plate tabs. Is this the correct grease to use?

Comment

It should be fine. Just make sure the slides for the rear calipers are the ones with the zinc plated slides (updated version) or your rear brakes will only work correctly for a few months. Well, if what you have is a w body. They are known for flawed rear brakes, and brakes in general to be honest.
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
              It should be fine. Just make sure the slides for the rear calipers are the ones with the zinc plated slides (updated version) or your rear brakes will only work correctly for a few months. Well, if what you have is a w body. They are known for flawed rear brakes, and brakes in general to be honest.
              owning this w body for over 25 years, I must have gone through like 6-7 sets of brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by packardbell View Post
                owning this w body for over 25 years, I must have gone through like 6-7 sets of brakes.
                You were lucky.

My uncle once told me about changing the brake fluid on a regular basis because of its ability to absorb water, my response was "That's no problem. I change it yearly with the rear calipers." Funny thing was I wasn't trying to be funny, and I really was changing rear calipers every year.
                -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                  You were lucky.

My uncle once told me about changing the brake fluid on a regular basis because of its ability to absorb water, my response was "That's no problem. I change it yearly with the rear calipers." Funny thing was I wasn't trying to be funny, and I really was changing rear calipers every year.
                  I feel you buddy, same here whenever I change calipers might as well flush the brake fluid. Now the last problem I have with this is the gas tank leaking. Probably won't have time to do it myself so most likely bring it to a shop. Should I get the pump replaced as well now since the tank will be replaced? Don't want to worry about the pump failing down the road.
                  Yes it is still the original pump in there.

Comment

Working...
                  X