getrag 284

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getrag 284

I was just thinking, just about any manufacturer with any sense will share as many parts between models as possible to keep costs down. What do you think the chances are that some of the 284 parts were used in other Getrag products?

I also ran across this:

I was looking around and I didn't see anyone who i could contact to ask about it.

Re: getrag 284

Originally posted by brian89gp
    I was just thinking, just about any manufacturer with any sense will share as many parts between models as possible to keep costs down. What do you think the chances are that some of the 284 parts were used in other Getrag products?

I also ran across this:

I was looking around and I didn't see anyone who i could contact to ask about it.
    Makes sense to me that theyd share with other model trans. But I think we would still run into the same problem of parts availability. Dual cone synchronization... mmmm.

Nico (if anyone even remembers him anymore!) took apart his old 284. From what I remember, he said the problem with the synchronization cones is that once they wear even just a little bit there is a "machining flaw" creating too close of a tolerance between the cone and the blocking ring and bad shit goes down. I also remember him saying the guts of the trans are HUGE, bigger than most RWD stuff according to him and that the synchronizers were enormous (maybe thats why when getrags work right theyre SO damn silky between the gears) and finally that the 5th gear synchro was smaller than the other. Maybe thats why my 5th seems kinda notchy compared to the rest.
    1991 Grand Prix GTP LX9swap/Getrag 284 --- SOLD =(
    1994 Corvette
    LT1/ZF6
    2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
    3.7/42RLE

Comment

Even if you did ask them about it they would be like...What???? What is that, is that a transaxle.

I found impossible to find closly related parts from getrag, you almost just have to send them the transaxle, because most time they don't know what it is untill they see it and run numbers.
      I am back

Mechanical/Service Technican

Comment

Hey I talk to Nico all the time his aim sn is npavlo. Ill ask him to post about this. He told me when he took his apart like 100000000 ball bearings came out to!

1992 Lumina Z34 | 3.4L 207ci DOHC 60º V6; Getrag 284 |
        1994 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP | 3.4L 207ci DOHC 60º V6; Hydra-Matic 4T60E |

Comment

Yes the parts inside of the 284 are bigger than the ones in our Camaros. But our synchros aren't that great. Better than the 282, but not by much. We really need to find SOMEONE, becuz as our trans get older, they break. My synchros weren't perfect, but they worked well before i got stupid. 5th has always been easy in my car. So are 3rd and 4th. 1st is a little tough sometimes, but not bad. 2nd. oh god 2nd. I was doing a really nice burnout, and a friend suggested I put it into2nd-infering my car had to power to keep em going into 2nd. I tried to shift HARD into 2nd, it didnt catch. I thought it got in, so I released the clutch and put it to the floor while holding the shifter back into 2nd. I couldnt hear it, but friends said it was grinding to HELL. So I can no longer downshift to 2nd, but I can upshift. I've looked up and down for another tranny, but the two that I have found have more bad synchors than mine. One had 3rd and 4th gone, the other 1st was totally out.

Oh well, i will find someone who can redo it.

Is there any chance of a 282's synchos fitting in and working on our 284s? They probably can't handle the power for too long, but it's better than nothing.

Comment

Re: getrag 284

Originally posted by brian89gp
            I looked under "Human resources" and emailed him. His is employment, but there are no other emails on the site.

Comment

What would be great to get is just a simple parts list with part numbers, I'm sure they can cross-reference by part number then to see if parts were shared.

Comment

I called New Venture gear one time, who allegedly bought out Getrag and the guy there gave me the number to there parts resources and I called one number and they told me they had sycnhros for our trans' but who knows.

1992 Lumina Z34 | 3.4L 207ci DOHC 60º V6; Getrag 284 |
                1994 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP | 3.4L 207ci DOHC 60º V6; Hydra-Matic 4T60E |

Comment

A reman'd 284 from GM (12353219) isn't even that expensive.... under $2,000 (that's cheaper than what Autozone sells one for)

it almost looks as if a 284 from GM is LESS than a 282

Cliff Scott
                  89 BerettaGT
                  89 Volvo740
                  Cliff Scott
                  89 BerettaGT
                  04 AleroGX

Comment

I think the 284 reman'd is $1600 + core through GMPD. BUT, people have said that it can take a year to get it!!!!

Comment

me and tony (5speedz34) are gunna be pulling apart his extra 284 to see what we can do to fix it. maybe we can get a machine shop to make syncros. anyways i will make sure we take alot of pics for u guys

Comment

What's wrong with his spare? Just bad synchro's?

Comment

well he has one with a bad 4th synchro and his other has a bad 1st,2nd is going, and 5th is going

Comment

Originally posted by 4spdz34
                            well he has one with a bad 4th synchro and his other has a bad 1st,2nd is going, and 5th is going
                            Tony's whole car is going!

Comment

DANA Gear owns New Venture, and for the most part Getrag, but Getrag still exsists.

It's all DANA Gear now for the most part, another monopoly.

I doubt Getrag or DANA gives a frell about the 284.
                              I am back

Mechanical/Service Technican

Comment

Working...
                              X