getrag 284 rebuild parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getrag 284 rebuild parts

just thought i'd let you guy's know that i found a place here in BC that rebuilds getrag 284's or will sell you the parts to rebuild one. The company's name is Burts automotive and there is 10 locations in B.C. bench labour is something like 490$ plus whatever parts you need. input shaft bearing around 30$. thought you might like to know.
    1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme International
    3.4L DOHC Getrag HM-284
    1 of 85 Produced whith the manual tranny
    New addition: 1981 Dodge Power Ram W150 4x4
    6" lift, Dana 60/70, 35" County Terrain, 440c.u.i. 4bbl swap

U R DA MAN!!!!!!

you have an email or phone number?

post up that info, after which, this should be a sticky.
    The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

Comment

bump
      The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

Comment

what about the 282?

Comment

How are they getting parts?
          Are you sure they aren't confused? THis sounds like a chain that just doesn't know what transmission they're dealing with. 10 locations in BC and nobody in the US knows where to get parts outside of GETRAG? Sounds fishy.

Comment

parts are not avalible from anyone, however bearings can be replaced easily if you have the tranny apart, all you need is the number off the bearing and to call bc bearing (or any other bearing company). same deal with seals, just cross refference. however other parts, such as syncros, arent avalible.

i know of berts in langley. they are ok when it comes to standards, wouldnt take much else there. i guess im kind or biased, i work for mister transmission in langley as a re/re tech.

Comment

well burts has been around for a long time. when my dad was racing his 74 civic 1200 he would have them do the tranny in that when it was thrashed. They are an old school company especially the one in vancouver. that is where they hold alot of inventory so thats probably where all the stuff is. and I made sure he knew i was talking about the 284. Trust me I made damn sure he didnt get it confused with the 282. And I also asked if he had syncros for them and he said that if he didnt have them in his shop (surrey) he could get them pretty easily (i am guessing they have a stash in the Vancouver shop).

so, that being said, you are best off to double check that he knows what he's talking about and when you call you may want to ask if you can have the number for the vancouver location cuz i trust those guy's more that the guy in surrey.

(Surrey) phone number is: (604) 584-9151

Talk to that guy but if you think he doesnt know what he is talking about ask for the Vancouver number. No e-mail listed.
              3.4L DOHC Getrag HM-284

Comment

btw i have an old tip about syncro rings. it was a trick my dad used with his civic that burt's taught him. rather that replacing your syncro's every time, get some valve laping compound and lap them in. yes, lap the syncro's in. it is cheaper than replacing syncro's and my dad said it worked better than new syncro's with his civic. make sure you get the tranny perfectly clean off all compound before putting it back together cuz that stuff will tear your tranny apart. My tranny need's rebuilding and im on a very tight budet so i think im gonna have to give it a shot. i will let ya know how well it works unless someone else whats to try before i get around to mine.
                3.4L DOHC Getrag HM-284

Comment

btw series8217. just because nobody in the US can find parts for these transmissions doesn't automatically mean that nobody in Canada cant find them. I dont know if your aware of this, but we dont live in igloos up here. We are quite capable of fixing and building high performance car's without looking south to find parts.
                  3.4L DOHC Getrag HM-284

Comment

I found a web page for Bert's Auto. http://www.bertsauto.com/ I called them and talked to a guy named Jerry they told me also that they can rebuild the 284's (yes I double and triple checked him on the 284). He says that they can rebuild everything in the tranny. They can supply and replace synchros, rings, ect..... Too bad for me that they're on the other side of the continent though.

Comment

this info needs stickied

The new Z06 exposes European sports cars for what they really are....overprice, underperforming snobs.

Comment

Working...
                      X