1995 Grand Am GT tranny issues....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 Grand Am GT tranny issues....

i new to this site because i was told by grandamgt.com people this site is better for me and my 3100 engine. Anywho....i have had a few gear slipping issues with the tranny, and thats prolly the biggest problem ive ever had. Well...until tonight-i pwas backing out of my drive way and noticed a puddle of pinkish/redish fluid. I popped the hood and only seen a small spot of wetness on my firewall-every other part of the bay is bone dry. I jacked up the front end, laid down and looked underneath to see nothing but what looks like tranny fluid splatters all the way to the back wheels. I got underneath the engine to see if i could find a leaky point.....no luck. Is there anyone out there that has had a related issue to this. I didnt know if i had my tranny fluis dipstick not on all the way....but would that explain the fluid all over the bottom of the car-it looks like it was squirting out pretty good while i was driving. Checked the tranny fluid level......FULL!!!! im stumped......could it be a bad gasket??? or is the tranny dead??? thanks extremely to anyone who can help me.

did you check the tranny coolant lines that run from the tranny to the radiator? sometimes those leak if they are a metal/rubber line.
    Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
    fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

no, i didnt check those. Didnt even cross my mind....ill check it out to day and see what i come up with. thankx

Comment

checked the lines....they were fine. I wiped off everything last night and today went to check to see if i could find i general area as to where the drip was coming from...and the round bar that dips down right behind the motor/tranny....has about 3-4 drip spots coming off of it. Im stumped and very confused on where to try and look where this fluid is coming from. I noticed smoke coming from the hood-not thick smoke but enuff for me to open the hood for me to see something was wrong, and all it was, was the splashd while drving tranny fluid burning off of the exhaust....but thats what led me to where i am now discovering this whole fluid situation.

Comment

Did you check your powersteering fluid just to be sure thats not what is leaking.

Got Lope?
          3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
          Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
          Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
          12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

3400....your the man. I swear to god dude. Went out there and checked right after your post, sure enough......i had my sister turn the wheel, and the rubber hose from the fluid reservoir going to the steering unit started spraying P/S fluid EVERYWHERE!!!! i couldnt get an exact pinpoint on the hole because of the plastic loom around the hose....but it was spraying out where the loom is spaced......how in the hell do i get that hose off??? i see a lil butterfly clamp on the reservoir side.....but i have no clue how to remove the other end

Comment

If its the return line it think it's butterfly clipped on both ends after a small loop that goes down the passenger side as a cooler, that is if yours is the same as mine, It should just be a rubber line, I'm not positive though.

Can you get pictures of where the line goes??

I know my main line is a solid steel line off the tank to a rubber hydraulic hose on the rack... I think the GA's main line are one piece though... I'm not sure on the return line.

Got Lope?
              3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
              Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
              Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
              12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

I'd recommend you get it fixed ASAP. Mine was leaking for about a week (that I know of), and look how it turned out... http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40337
                -Brad-
                89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                sigpic
                Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

i've always have had my ps hose seep fluid. back when it had 34,000 miles on it. guess i'll take a much closer look at my lines!
                  Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
                  fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

I looked at mine. Still same amount of seep it had when I bought it. The P/S level isn't any lower and I've never had to add to it... But yeah if I see smoke or leak it will get replaced ASAP!
                    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                    Original L82 Longblock
                    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Yeah, got some seepage going on with mine as well, but always have. Think ive added a half ounce in the past 30k miles
                      You may or may not know 10 times what i do.
                      ASE Master certified. Just means I can take tests. GM ASEP Graduate.
                      95' Z26, ported/cammed 3400/3500, OBD2, 282, T3T4. Boxes almost all empty..

Comment

Not only that, you'll trash the PS bearings before you can say OH CRAP! after it runs dry.
                        88 Beretta GTU turbo . 90 Black ASC/McLaren TGP, awaiting 4t80. 2003 Grand AM se 3400/4t45 daily grind.

Comment

Trashing the pump is bad, but burning the car down is worse...
                          sorry bszopi...

Comment

My pump has 210-215,000 or something on it. If it blows there are plenty of junkyard ones with fewer miles!
                            sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                            1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                            16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                            Original L82 Longblock
                            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                            Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
                              My pump has 210-215,000 or something on it. If it blows there are plenty of junkyard ones with fewer miles!
                              Not very often is using a JY part an upgrade . At least I didnt think that until I started buying 3.5 stuff..

Comment

Working...
                              X