4t60e to 282

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4t60e to 282

ok, i was told that a 282 5 speed trani is stronger than the 4t60e. i was thinking about swapping my beretta to this trani if this was true. I was wondering what vehicles came with this trani and what things i need to swap. when i say stronger i mean like 12 sec passes, and possibly over 300whp.

1996 Beretta
    3100 SFI TURBO
    T28 60 Trim Turbo at 9psi, Stage 1 turbo cam mms, lifter upgrade springs mms, P&P heads, ls6 Valve Springs, Ported exhaust manifolds, Hyperuetectic pistons SP, 3.29 trani, MSD 8.5 wires, open exhaust, Pulstar plugs, 3400 intake manifolds, ported TB, 36 lb/hr injectors, RCI Fuel cell, Walbro 255 pump, A/C Bypass, and much more.
    13.1 @ 103 mph best in the 1/4 mile

Its a manual so yea its stronger..lol. Sooner or later Im going to figure out whats killing my transmissions so I can fix it
    1994 Chevy Corsica. Parted out. Just a rotting shell now
    Best 1/4mile ET - 12.9
    Best 1/4mile MPH - 111
    1997 Ford Ranger Splash
    Daily Driver

Comment

From what I know V8 Fiero people that run that gear box have to be gentle with it. So You might want to ask them. IMHO I'd run an auto with 65E parts with a tuned program. One thing is certian any wheel hop at that power and the axels/ intermiedate shaft may compromise that not to say what else would fail. Like I said talk to V8 Fiero people.
      Lorenzo
      '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
      '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

Lots of people run the 383 with a turbo 3400 with good success.

You'll need the trans, axles, axle jack shaft, mount (cut off body frame) pedals, slaves, etc. And a good strong clutch. Some people get the ez clutch, spec, etc as they are not too expensive.

You'll need to weld to the body the new mount you cut from the old car. 92+ have more room for the turbo there, as the 86-91 have a huge mount for the trans that sticks up. You'll also need to swap subframes to go to the older dogbone mount on the drivers side, or hook it up to the newer subframe depending on what year trans you get.

Older were external slave, newer are internal. Later year (not sure when) had a beefier diff.

Also you'll need to move the passenger side of the engine mount back 1" since the drivers side trans mount is 1" closer to the firewall so that the engine is not cocked at an angle and your axle alignment is dead on. You can do this with a MrZ aluminum T bone piece, or cut the welds on the black mount, and slide it back 1" and re-weld it. There is a thread on www.bstuff.com (look for weba's thread) about how to do it that way.

Cars are any year V6 beretta until 93, or cavys until 94. Some other cars had them too. The quad4 cars are a getrag with really really low gears which you can use if you swap the bellhousings so it will bolt up to the V6.
        sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
        1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
        16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
        Original L82 Longblock
        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
        Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Torque is the killer of trannies.. not HP.

It's all in how you drive it. Any tranny will break if you abuse it.

I put about 320 HP / 300 TQ to my HM282 daily and it's got 141,000 miles on it. Still shifts like new.
          Past Builds;
          1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
          1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
          Current Project;
          1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
            Torque is the killer of trannies.. not HP.

It's all in how you drive it. Any tranny will break if you abuse it.

I put about 320 HP / 300 TQ to my HM282 daily and it's got 141,000 miles on it. Still shifts like new.

As I was saying. The V8 Fiero people are gentle. I beleive that they do make HD parts for the 282 though.
            Lorenzo
            '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
            '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

Wheel hop is the killer......have spare intermediate shafts and axles if you go that route........I sheared an intermediate shaft in half with a 2.8 and a gt2871R last trip to the track. My advice if you are going to run a 282 with your mods.....put in a clutch that will slip a bit or run street tires at the track......

You are pushing the limits of everything on that car much like myself with my old setup......bet prepared for the worst.
              2004 Black Cobra Vert

New Best Time 9-2-07: 1.81 60' 12.06 @ 117.3 Mph
              455 rwhp/ 458 rwtq

1988 Pontiac Grand Prix SE - New Setup: Stock 3400 with 52 k on it from a 05 Impala, 255 walbro, LC-1 WB, Spec 3 Clutch, CS144 Alternator upgrade, DIY tune

1989 Pontiac Turbo Grand prix - 44 k original miles, birchtrax'ed & intrax'ed, crane 2020, Topgun 160 +++ my own special herbs and spices

Comment

Working...
              X