282? nvt-550? Help please!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 282? nvt-550? Help please!!!

Ok, so i'm getting ready to swap in my manual tranny to a 3400 motor, my goal is really 3 stages

stage 1: install 5 speed with stock 3400 motor
    stage 2: swap in boosted motor
    stage 3: add boost!!!

i'm assuming about 2 months of tinkering and tuning between each stage.....

anyways, i got this tranny from my buddy, I've seen the internals when he was keeping it for himself and then from him telling me and i'll try to link some pics too, i've read a lot of article on v624, quad4, etc..

I really just need to know how to tell wether a 282 or NVT and also with the swap in mind, what type of engine bracket should I use for the intermediate shaft and what manufacturer should i order for input and ouput shafts, or should i junkyard. Any help would be great!! Thanks.......

oh what i know and what my buddy told me

3.94 FDR
    close ratio gears
    gleason-torsen LSD
    everything cryo - hardened
    94 internal slave cylinder

pic of the slave cylinder, i'll have to get pic of tranny later.....

one of the clutch and flywheel just for fun.......

S...........L...........E...........E...........P...........E...........R

I believe the NewVenture has a hydraulic throw out bearing, where the Muncie 282 has the conventional throw out fork. BTW pics no workie.
    Last edited by gpse3400; 09-17-2008, 09:56 PM.
    Lorenzo
    '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
    '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

if it's got a 3.94 FDR it's a Muncie/Getrag 92/93ish they switched to the internal slave just like the NVG did. the 3.94 trannies were only avaliable on the Quad 4 and GM finished out their contract with Getrag instead of switching in 92 to NVG like they did for the V6 models.

the 282 and NVG are pretty much identical, the 282 is said to be stronger but i've had both apart and everything internally is the same or similar enough to swap around. Both use the same bracketry.

I'd use either the jackshaft setup from a 94 or older Cavalier or find one of the rare jackshafts from the 88 Beretta. I got mine for $50 shipped from a junk yard.

here is what it looks like..

you'll probably have to drill and tap your bellhousing to use it though, it's much stronger than the regular jackshaft.
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

I still have to disagree on the aluminum housed shaft being stronger. That dinky aluminum bracket is not strong at all, and the only 2 that ive seen in person were cracked(including mine).
        The actual shaft isn't the weak part, even though it is a smaller diameter shaft(dont worry, you will break something else before you break the shaft).

Either shaft is fine. the housed shaft is nice for 3500 swaps, but I did without. Just takes alot of measuring.

As for nvg v.s. getrag, there very similar. I have 2 nvg's in peices in my garage, looking for bearings. There all discontinued by gm, and you need to purchase a FULL rebuild to get them(pricy), so im combining 2 trannies to make one tight one.

What car are they going in? Theres 2 diffrent castings for the tranny. Only affects beretta and grand ams though.
        95 Beretta- Lg8 Daily Driver
        94 Beretta z26- First ever 5-speed 3500 L body- In the works.

Comment

it will be mounted in a 2001 alero to a 3400 with lots of boost!!!
          Last edited by kwhauck; 09-17-2008, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Well you will have to make custom mounts then? If so, then its not an issue, use whatever bosses you have on your trans.

Could you get a pic of this diff or describe it more? Sounds like one out of a rare w41 or 442
            95 Beretta- Lg8 Daily Driver
            94 Beretta z26- First ever 5-speed 3500 L body- In the works.

Comment

i don't have pics of mine, but here is a random quote from online....and a pic a gleason-torsen from a gtz that was also fortunate enough to find one.......

"The Gleason Torsen is a "torque sensing" limited slip differential based on worm gears. The operational theory is based on the fact that you can't drive a worm gear backward. The advantage of the Gleason is that the torque transition from the low traction wheel to the high traction wheel is pretty much unnoticeable. It only becomes apparent on ice or if you start hydroplaning. The disadvantage is that the LSD unit runs about $2K! If you're lucky you might locate a W-41 car in a junkyard and perhaps they won't know what's in the transaxle. So far I haven't seen a wrecked W-41 vehicle (I got my drivetrain from a performance parts supplier that bought a race team's spares)."

Comment

rumor is that there were only 7 ever put into W41 cars, the chances of finding one are little to none.

I run the Team Green LSD, it dosen't have fancy worm gears but it works well. I plan on welding the diff one of these days though.
                Past Builds;
                Current Project;

Comment

but they were also sold off the shelf for consumers to install correct? Mine was indeed in a junk yard when it was purchased but, the guy knew what he had and definately charged for it.......

Comment

Originally posted by kwhauck View Post
                    but they were also sold off the shelf for consumers to install correct? Mine was indeed in a junk yard when it was purchased but, the guy knew what he had and definately charged for it.......
                    Yes, they could be purchased from GM several years ago. GM has since discontinued them. I looked for 6 months and gave up. lol

I'm sure there are a few sitting in a warehouse somewhere...brand new, just waiting for someone to find them.
                    Past Builds;
                    Current Project;

Comment

Try http://www.vpartsinc.com/ you can enter in old gm part numbers and see what they have.........chances are they have one but it is going to cost you!
                      2004 Black Cobra Vert

New Best Time 9-2-07: 1.81 60' 12.06 @ 117.3 Mph
                      455 rwhp/ 458 rwtq

1988 Pontiac Grand Prix SE - New Setup: Stock 3400 with 52 k on it from a 05 Impala, 255 walbro, LC-1 WB, Spec 3 Clutch, CS144 Alternator upgrade, DIY tune

1989 Pontiac Turbo Grand prix - 44 k original miles, birchtrax'ed & intrax'ed, crane 2020, Topgun 160 +++ my own special herbs and spices

Comment

yes, but does anybody know the old GM part number? I got my whole tranny with the gleason-torsen LSD for $1800, I thought it was a pretty good deal considering in 1991 just the LSD sold from GM for about that same price, add in cryo-hardening to the entire internals of the tranny including the LSD and my tranny price was about $2500

Comment

Working...
                        X