03 Buick trans sometimes slams 2 to 5 mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 03 Buick trans sometimes slams 2 to 5 mph

Hi friends. I've looked at prior threads but could not find a problem similar to mine. My 03 Buick with 3.1 will sometimes slam like someone hit me in the rear when starting off from a stop. It does not slam when shifting into drive or reverse or upshift or have any other problems what so ever. If I am really light on the gas or really heavy I will not notice it. But on normal starts 50% of the time it will slam. It will happen after it starts rolling but before 5 mph. Could this be something simple like the modulator or big like the torque converter?

Seems like the unit is going neutral, then reengaging uncontrolled. The forward servo could be at fault. once you raise the pressure in the system, the forward servo reapplies.... That is on the back side of the transmission, not easy to get to... That is my guess if everything else is alright.
    Lorenzo
    '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
    '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

Thank your gpse3400. The raising pressure thing makes a lot of sense. Is the servo on the back something accessible externally on the trans? A trans guy suggested to me that it might be an axle shaft, but it seems to me that it would have to be very worn to have that much play. Since the car starts rolling normally immediately upon taking my foot off the brake the axle has pressure on in in the forward direction and it should not be buckling any more. If there was that much wear I should probably notice other symptoms such as a clunk going from N to D or R but everything else is normal. I agree with you that it seems to be pressure related and very light or very heavy acceleration hides the pressure issue.

Comment

Yeah the servo is acessable, though I'm not sure I wil say tis easy, you might have to drop the back of the frame and keep the engine/ transmission suspeneded to get at it. It has 3 screws holding it in. One way to further verify servo fault is to do a manual select to 1st and see how it moves from a stop. If it does not slip/bang then I would definately start thining of checking the servo. When you select manual 1st the servo gets line pressure which is more than enough to hold the forward roller clutch.
        Lorenzo
        '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
        '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

Check to make sure all the sensor connections are good on the motor. I've seen a few people forget to reconnect their MAF sensor after an aftermarket intake install. This caused the computer to command maximum line pressure in the transmission which resulted in severe-feeling shifts. I think this usually triggers the 'check engine' light though.
          1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

Thank you for all the replies. I may have found the problem. Please let me know if this makes any sense. Two weeks ago, my Service Engine Soon light came on. The code was P0420. I had a suspicion that my intake gaskets were bad because I was getting too much condensation in the valve covers although really not too much antifreeze was lost. So I had the gaskets replaced along with the Cat and O2 sensor on the cat pipe. Since that was done, a week ago, I have not experienced the slamming that I described. Amazing! Sometimes the slam was so hard that I looked in the rear view mirror to see if someone hit me. Now, I have not had it in a week.

Comment

P0420 is simply a cat efficiency code,you need a convertor.

The slamming as you take off is probably the torque convertor solenoid sticking,and not engaging the torque convertor. The slamming into gear is the torque convertor engaging.
              Get a trans flush,change the filter and solenoid.

That's what I'm thinking.

Comment

which trans is that? the 4t65e? if so those pressure controll soleniods take a shit all the time. but it requires a new valve body as well.
                [SIGPIC]
                12.268@117... 11's to come!
                turbo 3400: 358whp and 365tq at 9 psi
                ASE Master Technician. GM Certified.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibU1k8UZoo
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqJyopd720

Comment

Originally posted by DefEddie View Post
                  The slamming as you take off is probably the torque convertor solenoid sticking,and not engaging the torque convertor. The slamming into gear is the torque convertor engaging.
                  Get a trans flush,change the filter and solenoid.

That's what I'm thinking.
                  not likely. the torque convertor won't be commanded on until at a minimum of 2nd gear. 3-5MPH is without a doubt 1st gear...

Originally posted by MidnightriderZ24 View Post
                  which trans is that? the 4t65e? if so those pressure controll soleniods take a shit all the time. but it requires a new valve body as well.
                  an 03 having a 4t65e would make sense...
                  1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                  Latest nAst1 files here!
                  Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

yeah, TCC can't physically lock in 1st gear, and not commanded to lock until a certain mph/tps while in 3rd gear.
                    Andy

sigpic

fastest 1/8: 10.19@ 67.17
                    fastest 1/4: 16.16@ 82.70

62mm TB, 1.6 roller tip rockers, Ostrich 2.0, UD pulley, TB heater bypass, K&N, 180* stat, No cat, 99Grand AM dual cooling fans. 4T65E swap FDR 3.69, EP LSD, F.A.S.T. transmission controller, TransGo shift kit.

Comment

Thank you all for responding. After the P0420 code and getting the intake manifold gaskets, thermostat, catalytic converter pipe and O2 sensor replaced three weeks ago the car has been good. What seemed for sure to be a trans problem was not? The car has the 4T65E so there is no vacuum modulator. For the months of slamming, did the computer see a problem with intake vacuum because of bad intake gaskets and cause a glitch with the trans but never set a code?

Comment

very common problem on these trans are the pressure control soleniods. have someone with a gm tech-2 drive the vehicle looking at the pcm and watch the pressures etc. when i have this problem, i ALWAYS put a new valve body in.
                        [SIGPIC]
                        12.268@117... 11's to come!
                        turbo 3400: 358whp and 365tq at 9 psi
                        ASE Master Technician. GM Certified.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ibU1k8UZoo
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUqJyopd720

Comment

Working...
                        X