X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4t60e issue

Car: 97 Lumina, 3.1l, approximately 128k miles

Hello,

I'm still an automatic trans newb., so I need help.

This car's tranny will occasionally drop out of gear or totally disengage and lose power during a WOT/heavy acceleration, usually in the 1st or 2nd gear (not sure exactly which one). Of course, the engine will rev high as a result. I take my foot off the pedal to let the engine reduce RPM, and the trans goes back to normal, it re-engages, and I'm on my way.

It happened again this morning on a hill, and I tried to replicate it at lunch, and it would not repeat the issue.

It will not do this all the time, only when I need it most (lol) at WOT and at random, which leads me to believe the issue is in the valve body or maybe a solenoid or the torque converter, not slippage/wear of the clutch or belts, etc.

I try to drive the car gently, but occasionaly I need to punch it. I'm just wondering if there is an inexpensive fix for this, or if the tranny is on the way out.

Thanks for help.

servo could be sticking before it warmed up
    when is the past time it had a filter change ?

Comment

Originally posted by unchained01 View Post
      servo could be sticking before it warmed up
      when is the past time it had a filter change ?
      I've been keeping it serviced. It probably has around 10k on the present fluid and filter. I got the car back in 2004. It's been doing this for a long time (5 yrs?), but it was so infrequent I never worried about it.

But I'm afraid it may be picking up in frequency. It seemed to have trouble going into first about a year ago exiting a store driveway, and it was warmed up. I put a cooler on it, and that seemed to have helped, but it did it again the other day as described.

I guess I should just drive it, but I don't want to get in a bind, etc., and I'm curious if the tranny should be replaced (or ditch the car), or maybe it's something less severe.

Comment

Double check the level and add half a quart of fluid to it and see if it goes away... some have to run this over full because of drain back issues which cause the pump to use up the fluid in the pan and starve. Mine wouldn't shift from 1-2 at WOT and I run it 1 quart over full and it's fine.

Got Lope?
        3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
        Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
        Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
        12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Originally posted by 3400-95-Modified View Post
          Double check the level and add half a quart of fluid to it and see if it goes away... some have to run this over full because of drain back issues which cause the pump to use up the fluid in the pan and starve. Mine wouldn't shift from 1-2 at WOT and I run it 1 quart over full and it's fine.
          That's the kind of repair I like. I'll try it. Thanks.

Comment

Hello again,

I still have this car and it still runs and drives for the most part. And I did the "fluid overflow" after I posted this thread years ago, and I think that really helped, so I ignored the overall issue until recently. When I go onto the on ramp of the interstate, I have to take a somewhat gentle left turn. Then if I'm in the merge lane, I sometimes have to do a WOT to get over and merge, and the car will do the same thing, engine revs, neutral condition, let off gas, car re-engages.

I was just curious, it's due for a fluid change, I was wondering if I could unbolt the accumulator housing and check those out. I've never done that before, but since the oil pan was down, it might be worth it to check it out for leaks?

I found the following quotes off the internet for other transmissions (but nothing specific for the 40t60e).

"1-2 shift does not happen at WOT until you let off the gas: Best case: try replacing the TPS. Middle case: leak in the 2nd gear apply circuit (servo assembly or 1-2 accumulator). Doublecheck by using the pressure gauge and watch for a big drop when the PCM commands 2nd gear. Worst case: poor line pressure rise (see below). "

"I had a very similar issue with my trans. What i did to fix it is put a shift kit in the accumulators."

I also just swapped out the TPS with another one I had laying around (too lazy to test it). But I think this has something to do with fluid pressure. I guess I can continue to ignore, unless it picks up frequency. I try to gun the car at WOT throttle afterwards, and I can't get it to repeat the condition, it just happens at occasional, infrequent times. I was thinking, if the clutches were worn, it would be slipping all time. Any more advice appreciated.
            Last edited by talon2swords; 03-05-2016, 06:22 PM.

Comment

The 4t60 has a vacuum line that runs to it, have you checked it for leaks/dry rot? Also check the rest of the engine vacuum lines.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X