Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getrag 284 Clutch Kit - What is the best one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getrag 284 Clutch Kit - What is the best one?

My car had to be towed because it started "screeching" very loudly and I could smell smoke. The verdict is that I need to replace components in the clutch.

Center Force does not make a full clutch kit for my car.
    Phoenix, Zoom Performance, RhinoPac, Exedy, Centric, Clutchnet, and Valeo do.

I ended up opting for a Clutchnet stage 2 clutch...here is the link:

Last edited by NCChevyMan; 08-06-2014, 06:03 PM.

On Monday, I went to the dealer and the clutch was already installed. However, there is a major problem. When the pedal is pushed it takes tremendous effort (feels like concrete), and when the pedal is depressed pushing the pin on the slave cylinder in...it actually causes the plastic where it the slave cylinder mounts to the transmission to flex.

As you can see from the link above, the clutches go from Stage 1 to 5...and there is no way a Stage 2 should be that stiff. I was wondering if the cylinder itself might be bad?...or could it be the clutch? Has anyone else run into this issue? Neither the mechanic or I know what to do.

Thanks,

Tom

Comment

More than likely theres an issue with the clutch hydraulics. Do you have the stock hydraulic set up? or did you remove that accumulator?
      sigpic
      1994 Oldsmobile Cultass Supreme SL
      3400/Getrag 284 5spd
      1995 Chevy K1500 350c.i. 5spd Z71
      350/NV3500 5spd
      2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

The clutch and pressure plate came from clutchnet. The new throwout bearing is from GM. The new master and slave cylinders I bought were from Raybestos. However, they said that the slave cylinder got damaged because it was put in without the pin? He showed me that one on his workbench and you could see a silver sleeve sticking out of it where it mounts to the tranny. The replacement they bought was already in the car, but I have no idea where it came from.

Do you think the problem is the aftermarket slave cylinder? I could ask them to try and put the old hydraulics back in just to test.

Originally posted by 19Cutlass94 View Post
        More than likely theres an issue with the clutch hydraulics. Do you have the stock hydraulic set up? or did you remove that accumulator?

Comment

Originally posted by NCChevyMan View Post
          However, they said that the slave cylinder got damaged because it was put in without the pin?
          This raises a flag for their workmanship...
          Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

By that pin, are you talking about the pin that goes from the slave cylinder to the fork? Or the pin that holds the line into the slave?
            sigpic
            3400/Getrag 284 5spd
            350/NV3500 5spd
            2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

As you look down into the engine, I am referring to the pin that goes in the slave cylinder from the left side where the clutch is. Apparently, somehow it came out when the OEM slave cylinder was being mounted. My mechanic who works on my car at the dealership is very familiar with the Z34's. However, he said they had never seen one with a 5-speed...and he told me that the type of clutch was very unusual.

The mechanic said that when they realized there was a problem with the OEM slave cylinder due to the pin they purchased another one at their expense to replace it. They are not charging me anything for the replacement part. He is the only one who usually works on my car and I trust him. I do not know about the other people who work with him.

When I went there he showed me all the parts, including the original slave and master cylinders, along with the one I had given them that was broken. I do not know all the details of what happened with the pin.

I did send a note to my service advisor asking if they could put the original slave and master cylinders back in to see what happens. In the meantime, I was hoping to find someone here who was famili

Comment

The 284 clutch is "unusual" because its a pull type clutch instead of a push type. If that pin in missing, youll have big problems lol... that pin in loose in the slave and is only help in the by the boot that goes around it. That pin is whats used to push on the clutch fork, causing it to pull the pressure plate from the disc. Just tell him to put in the pin back in, Its not a big deal if it fell out.
                sigpic
                3400/Getrag 284 5spd
                350/NV3500 5spd
                2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

There are three slave cylinders:

1) Original OEM which was removed.

2) OEM replacement that I bought. It was Raybestos...same part number as Delco. My understanding is that they tried to put that one in when the pin was not in it, which is what messed it up. What happened is that there is a circular metal ring that protruded beyond the mount. That is what I saw when he showed me.

3) To replace the one that was damaged, they purchased another new one (I am not sure where) and installed it in the car. When pressing the pedal inside you can see the plastic where it mounts to the transmission flex.

Hopefully that helps to clarify.

Comment

Originally posted by NCChevyMan View Post
                    The clutch and pressure plate came from clutchnet. The new throwout bearing is from GM.
                    Since its a pull type clutch the bearing has to be locked into the pressure plate or it cannot disengage the clutch. I wonder if he didn't do that or the pressure plate requires one other than stock.

You may want to call clutchnet.
                    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                    Originally posted by Jay Leno
                    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

A friend of mine was in town visiting on Thursday. He knows a lot about hydraulic clutches. We stopped to see the car and talked to the mechanics. The hydraulics seems to be working fine and the problem seems to be in the pressure plate, fork, or something else inside. Is there anywhere I can find some actual directions and a diagram to give them for how everything is supposed to be installed?

Comment

Working...
                      X