Suddenly won't engage Drive or Reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suddenly won't engage Drive or Reverse

This transmission shifted smooth and strong through all gears until today when it stopped all of a sudden to engage either Drive or Reverse. No previous signs of slippage, hesitation, stalling or lack of power whatsoever.

We checked the linkage to the transmission and it works as intended, nothing loose or broken, everything is in place. If there was something slightly different with it from other similar vans we have then it had a slightly delayed engagement in Drive (it took a second to engage it after you moved the lever) - on all other vans we have the transmission go into Drive almost instantly.

Van is a '92 Pontiac Trans Sport/Chevrolet Lumina APV with the 3.1L V6 Chevy TBI engine and a 3T40 automatic transaxle.

Any idea on where we should start tackling this issue?

how old is the fluid/filter?
    is the TV cable correctly adjusted?
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Filter is 2 years old ACDelco kit and fluid level is ok.

It's like the transmission isn't getting any command from the driver's column lever but the linkage on the transmission housing is in place & working...

Will check the TV cable. Thank you.

Comment

if you pull the shifter down into manual 1st, does it engage then? doing so should provide a large increase in line pressure, which may be what is causing a failure to engage. that would be my next diagnostic step, checking what line pressure you see during a line pressure test.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Definitively solved the problem by swapping the transmission with a known good one.

Now the TCC has gone south (it comes on ragardless of speed, stalling the engine).

Does anyone know how to fix it without too much hassle with taking the subframe and transmission down again?

Comment

Either snip the signal wire to it or replace the solenoid (and harness) .
            Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

I already "pulled the plug". Question is how complicated would be to replace the solenoid on this one (3T40)?

Originally posted by 1988GTU View Post
              Either snip the signal wire to it or replace the solenoid (and harness) .

Comment

Originally posted by Meridivs View Post
                I already "pulled the plug". Question is how complicated would be to replace the solenoid on this one (3T40)?
                Then once it disengaged and followed by pulling the plug at the front facing of car at the trans, it should no longer be functional.

Originally posted by Meridivs View Post
                Question is how complicated would be to replace the solenoid on this one (3T40)?
                Side pan removal. It should be relatively easy in that Pontiac TS. Beretta/Cav is slightly less room, and the left (driver) sub was in the way.
                Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Working...
                X