Clutchnet Clutch Kit in Getrag 284 5 Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutchnet Clutch Kit in Getrag 284 5 Speed

Clutchnet sent a "stage 2" pressure plate and disc to my dealer...supposed to be 15% stiffer than stock. In addition to the disc and pressure plate the clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, and throw out bearing were replaced. The pedal would not go in so they had to take the tranny apart. After removing it they determined the disc had an extra part that kept the two pieces from meshing. I sent both parts back to Clutchnet who repaired and sent them back.

The clutch is now back in the car and the pedal goes in. When the car is off the tranny shifts freely. However, with the car on, when the clutch is pushed in the tranny cannot be shifted. You can see the pin under the air cleaner moving when the clutch is pushed in, but somehow it seems to not be disengaging the clutch to allow shifting.

Has anyone run into this problem before? I have been without my car for months and really want to get this resolved. During the past few years I have invested thousands in parts for this car, but at this point I am really thinking about selling it.

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1326.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

Thanks,

Tom
    Last edited by NCChevyMan; 02-23-2015, 01:28 AM.

What kind of car and what transmission? You may need to adjust your clutch. It sounds like it's not disengaging.

Comment

Have you tried starting the engine with the transmission in gear? Maybe it just needs a jolt to loosen up. I've had that happen before
      '89 Firebird, 3500 Turbo, T56, 9-bolt/4.11
      '86 Fiero, 3500, 4-speed

Comment

There is no adjustment on the 284 for the clutch. Either it works or it doesn't. I'm willing to bet it's the clutch disc. I also bet that if you start it up with it in gear, it'll want to take off on you.

That clutch disc seems like it sticks out wayyy to far. Those fingers on the pressure plate look like they have more wear than the plate does. ( the fingers shouldn't have any wear ) What it looks like to me is that the center of the disc is farther out than it should be, and is hitting the fingers on the pressure plate, and even when you put the clutch in, there's no room for the fingers to move to disengage the clutch. Which is why you cant get it in gear when its running.
        sigpic
        1994 Oldsmobile Cultass Supreme SL
        3400/Getrag 284 5spd
        1995 Chevy K1500 350c.i. 5spd Z71
        350/NV3500 5spd
        2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

Originally posted by 19Cutlass94 View Post
          There is no adjustment on the 284 for the clutch. Either it works or it doesn't. I'm willing to bet it's the clutch disc. I also bet that if you start it up with it in gear, it'll want to take off on you.

That clutch disc seems like it sticks out wayyy to far. Those fingers on the pressure plate look like they have more wear than the plate does. ( the fingers shouldn't have any wear ) What it looks like to me is that the center of the disc is farther out than it should be, and is hitting the fingers on the pressure plate, and even when you put the clutch in, there's no room for the fingers to move to disengage the clutch. Which is why you cant get it in gear when its running.
          There's no adjustment on the rod attached to the pedal?

Comment

No, there is no adjustment.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Looks like the wrong disc. Clutch is probably engaged all the time which is why the trans won't let you shift into gear.

You can confirm that by putting the front up on jack stands, put the car in 1st then start it. Wheels shouldn't move till you let the clutch out.
              Past Builds;
              1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
              1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
              Current Project;
              1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

The clutch disc that was removed is a Centerforce disc that I put in there...believe it or not...about 1995. It lasted a very long time.

At this point, I believe my best option would be to get an actual new OEM pressure plate and disc. My challenge is finding them.

Can anyone help?

Tom

Comment

You said you sent this clutch assembly back to Clutchnet for repair. I would call them and ask why when you set the disc into the pressure plate assembly (as shown in your 4th picture) it does not set flat into the pressure plate assembly. It appears to not be a matched set. The disc center section projects to far out from the disc face and is hitting the fingers of the pressure plate assembly. Again if me, based on the fact that they supposedly repaired this assembly I would return it for refund and use what you have had good luck with, Centerforce.
                  Ed

Comment

Originally posted by 45es View Post
                    You said you sent this clutch assembly back to Clutchnet for repair. I would call them and ask why when you set the disc into the pressure plate assembly (as shown in your 4th picture) it does not set flat into the pressure plate assembly. It appears to not be a matched set. The disc center section projects to far out from the disc face and is hitting the fingers of the pressure plate assembly. Again if me, based on the fact that they supposedly repaired this assembly I would return it for refund and use what you have had good luck with, Centerforce.
                    Just to clarify, the pictures above were taken before I sent the parts back to Clutchnet. With those in the car we couldn't even depress the clutch. Clutchnet repaired/replaced the parts in the pictures with others that were sent back to the dealer and put in the car. With the replacement parts in it the clutch depresses (with a good bit of effort), but the gears can only be changed with the car off.

What I really need is a new OEM pressure plate and clutch disc.

Tom

Comment

Believe it or not, I finally got the car back...it took forever but I found an OEM clutch and pressure plate. $1800 bucks plus two clutches/pressure plates when all was said and done

The clutch works, but when I push it in to change gears sometimes the car won't shift...I have to force it and can feel the gears. Sometimes I have to turn it off and then it shifts fine. After I restart I can drive. Sometimes I feel and hear a clunk or grind when I try to shift. Also, the steering is vibrating and feels loose. Has anyone experienced the same problems?

Tom

Originally posted by pocket-rocket
                      Wow, that sucks. I'm sorry to hear your dealer is treating you so badly. Have you filed anything with the BBB? That sucks you are considering selling the car. Every day there are fewer and fewer of these cars on the road mainking ours more and more unique. Either way, I hope it all works out for you in the end.

Originally posted by NCChevyMan View Post
                      Clutchnet sent a "stage 2" pressure plate and disc to my dealer...supposed to be 15% stiffer than stock. In addition to the disc and pressure plate the clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, and throw out bearing were replaced. The pedal would not go in so they had to take the tranny apart. After removing it they determined the disc had an extra part that kept the two pieces from meshing. I sent both parts back to Clutchnet who repaired and sent them back.

The clutch is now back in the car and the pedal goes in. When the car is off the tranny shifts freely. However, with the car on, when the clutch is pushed in the tranny cannot be shifted. You can see the pin under the air cleaner moving when the clutch is pushed in, but somehow it seems to not be disengaging the clutch to allow shifting.

Has anyone run into this problem before? I have been without my car for months and really want to get this resolved. During the past few years I have invested thousands in parts for this car, but at this point I am really thinking about selling it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8401[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8403[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8404[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8405[/ATTACH]

Thanks,

Tom

Comment

Getrag 284 - clutch fixed but transmission issues

I forgot to change title of thread...

Originally posted by NCChevyMan View Post
                        Believe it or not, I finally got the car back...it took forever but I found an OEM clutch and pressure plate. $1800 bucks plus two clutches/pressure plates when all was said and done

The clutch works, but when I push it in to change gears sometimes the car won't shift...I have to force it and can feel the gears. Sometimes I have to turn it off and then it shifts fine. After I restart I can drive. Sometimes I feel and hear a clunk or grind when I try to shift. Also, the steering is vibrating and feels loose. Has anyone experienced the same problems?

Tom

Comment

The throw bearing locks in to the pressure plate. If for some reason its not then something is wrong.

96 Z34 3.4 SC DOHC Getrag, 284 5sd manual transmission, stage 3spec clutch, 97 engine, 97 pcm, S3 intercooler 1 of 1 Roots SC LQ1 in the world 8.5 psi.

Comment

Has the clutch been adequately bled?
                            Current:
                            \'87 Fiero GT: 12.86@106 - too dam many valves; ran 12.94 @ 112 on new engine, then broke a CV joint
                            \'88 Fiero Formula: slow and attention getting; LZ8 followed by LLT power forthcoming
                            \'88 BMW 325iX: The penultimate driving machine awaiting a heart transplant

Gone, mostly forgotten:
                            \'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: slow but invisible

Comment

Working...
                            X