Threaded LIM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threaded LIM

ok so i have an 02 3400 and just bought an earlier model LIM that has the threaded end for the heater hose that goes out of the t stat housing. is there any difference in the tubes that are press in and screw in besides just the type of end it has, are they the same shape/length size? and do they both use the attaching stud on the head or block?

Yeah, they both have a tab that bolts to that stud. I've never laid the two side by side, but they look pretty similar (from memory). You'll need that stupidass snap-in connector and the correct pipe to make it work.

If you were talking about a 3100, then I'd tell you that those two LIM's use different gaskets... but I don't know that that's the case with 3400's. Matter of fact, I'd GUESS that the intake you just bought will work with the same gaskets as your 'old' one.

Not aware of any other (potential) differences.

Comment

The LIM gasket is head dependent, not lower.
      Ben
      60DegreeV6.com
      WOT-Tech.com

Comment

ok so the only diff in the 2 is the threaded or pressed in heater hose, so does anyone know what the transition year was for the screw in as opposed to pressed in manifolds, or was it more vehicle specific like the minivans had the screw in or the N bodies...any info?

Comment

I know the small port setups are all threaded (that I have seen). Im not sure on the large port stuff other than its application based, not straight across for a year.
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

ok so then does anyone know which app might have the threaded pipe so i can get a p/n on that and see if i can get one for my 3400

Comment

I believe up till 98 minivans had threaded. I got a 3400 lower from a chevy minivan venture 1997 and it's threaded. You can also tap your intake to put a threaded in there.

So you got a 2002? So your's is press-fit huh? I'd sell it to someone who needs a threaded and get a non-threaded one. It would be easier than retro-fitting a screw type on your car. (plus the screw type sealing nut/whatever always crack and leak and you gotta buy a new one everytime you take it off, as the plastic clips break and so do the o-rings).

Probably a old N-body that had the small port 3100 would fit your application though if you want to switch the metal pipe. Sounds like a PITA though to put that in there...
              Last edited by IsaacHayes; 02-14-2007, 04:33 PM.
              sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
              1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
              16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
              Original L82 Longblock
              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
              Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

well i dont mess with the quick disconnect part, i just unclamp the hose and do it like that, that way i dont disturb the plastic piece and worry about it breaking

plus the one i got is already ported by ben i got it from ihatemygrandamg and i was gonna send it in to get exchanged(i had talked with him about it) but i think if i can just get the threaded pipe that i wont even worry about sending it in. i need a new pipe anyway as mine is getting chewed up from the dexcool anyway
                Last edited by gectek; 02-14-2007, 05:05 PM. Reason: add

Comment

well i went to the dealer and looked at a few LIMs and they dont show a screw in one for the LIM diagrams i looked at, a 99 GA, 02GA and a 98 montana, but the montana heater pipe was press in and also at a different angle. so i need to know exactly which one i could use for the threaded intake, because i really just wanna save some of the extra hassle. also do the threaded pipes use an o ring also, or just thread dope to seal them?

Comment

Look at a 94 beretta. You can use thread sealant on the threads but you really won't need that. There is an O ring on the tube that also has a plastic set of tabs to pull the tube out of the threaded fitting. Its still a press fit but you have to thread the female end to the lower intake manifold.
                    Ben
                    60DegreeV6.com
                    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

yah i know about the quick disconnect part on the other side, but i just wanted a guaranteed vehicle to look at for the tube. and that tube will work with the LIM i have?

Comment

Working...
                      X