engine paint and removing the old stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine paint and removing the old stuff

ok didnt know where to put this, so ill post here. does anyone know of a good paint to use on engines. id like it to be in a spray can. i have some of the regular high heat engine enamel at work, but i was wondering if there is a better paint out there that will last longer and not fade so much...i want it to look good for a while.

oh BTW im going with red haha, i was just going to go back in black, but decided on red instead. some of the stock paint is flakin off in places, so i was also wondering if anyone had some input for what i could use to take the old paint off so i can have a good surface to paint on...

High heat engine enamel works great. Just prime it. Make sure you de grease it well. Oh and red is the worst for coverage so be prepared for lots of coats.
    1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
    1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
    Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

If the block is bare, have it tanked. Costs about $30-50, but will be bare metal when you get it back.
      Links:
      WOT-Tech.com
      FaceBook
      Instagram

Comment

i would do that, but is that ok after its been machined, its already been bored and decked...it is still bare to the cast iron, no plugs or anything, just bearings in the cam journals...

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanyou View Post
          High heat engine enamel works great. Just prime it. Make sure you de grease it well. Oh and red is the worst for coverage so be prepared for lots of coats.
          and yah i know about red, esp on the black factory coat, idk i might rethink black...

Comment

Id just stick with black. Once its down inside the engine bay with all of the accessories on, and fully assembled, there isnt that much of the block showing. Just do something nice with the upper intake and valve covers.
            2006 AWD TBSS 12.538 @ 106.92 1.66 60' Bolt-ons only

Comment

well those will stay alum i think, i like the way it looks

Comment

ok so update, my girlfriend and i would have posted pics, but i forgot the camera, we got half the engine stripped so far, we found the best way to get the paint off is to let the paint remover work for about a day first, then u just wipe it right off, works very nice. she is helping me right along with it. ill post pics tomorrow if i can. i got some citrus strip at walmart...works very good, i only need to use one can even...its very good. then i have the high heat 1200* primer, the red 1200* paint and the high heat 500* clear coat...hopefully itll be done by this weekend, we will strip the other side tomorrow, then on to the back(im leaving the area behind the timing cover black due to the fact that i dont wanna worry about messing it up and getting something in the oil system

Comment

Working...
                X