PF52s on L-body 3.1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PF52s on L-body 3.1?

Dunno if this has come up before (and since the search feature is for chumps and noobs :P )...

is there anything barring me from using a PF52 on my 3.1 (Lbody). Its considerably taller than the PF47 but looks like it should clear. I think the oil pan/car frame will be lower than the PF52 would sit so I doubt anything could hit it -not like I'm going offroading anyways. Is there any reason I shouldnt use it?

Seeing how I'm pretty lazy about changing the oil in it (really no time during the semester), I figure a bigger oil filter would be a good idea. Its been close to 4000 miles since my last oil change, I plan on changing it next weekend. It should be ok, its 90% highway miles, I hardly ever abuse the engine, it doesnt burn or leak a drop and the oil on the dipstick doesnt smell like flaming poo yet. I even give it adequate warm up time before driving.
    1991 Grand Prix GTP LX9swap/Getrag 284 --- SOLD =(
    1994 Corvette
    LT1/ZF6
    2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
    3.7/42RLE

Should work no problem. I used one on my 3100 Beretta up until I got an oil cooler. After that, with the adpater installed, the filter was the lowest part of the engine, and I didn't figure that would be that great of an idea...
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Stretching the oil is not cool. And a large filter will not make a difference. The lubricity of the oil is going to brake down no matter once. Plus the detergants, demulsifyers, dispersants and other additaves also play a vital part in the function of the oil. These things do not last forever so that is why you need to change.

Do not stretch it any longer than what your manual says. If you are only driving it on the highway you can drive further than a street driver.
      1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
      1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
      Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

bah!! :P

Oddly enough I changed it today. Anyways, it surprisingly didnt stink at all and wasnt bubbly. Its almost ALL highway miles; I use the beretta to take me to and from school once every few weeks, which is a 1 hour trip each way. 3k miles is kinda bs anyways when a lot of owners manuals reccomend 5k and even 7k change intervals for light duty vehicles. And highway miles is definetly light duty. The trip odometer says its been ~3700 miles (I reset the trip odometer every oil change, luckily the digital one in the retta dash doesnt reset every 1k miles). The PF52 fits no problems, the oil pan still hangs ~1" lower than the filter.

My dohc on the other hand gets 5w30 Mobil 1 (the 3.1 is getting Mobil5w30 driveclean) and I'm very much on top of changing it within 3k miles just because I rev the piss out of the thing so many times a day.
        1994 Corvette
        LT1/ZF6
        2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
        3.7/42RLE

Comment

The longer filter doesn't clear on a 3.1 MPFI in a Beretta. It does if the engine is off, but there is just barely not enough clearance that when you get on and off the gas, it hits the front subframe. A guy at work did it, and that was the problem he had.
          \"NASCAR is an integral part of my life. A part of me died when Dale Earnhardt died.\"

1997 Olds CS 4-door S/C - 183,527 miles
          1999 Chevrolet Lumina 3100 - Wife took it at 158,340 miles
          1989 Volvo 740GL Wagon 2.3 8v - 232,050 miles

Comment

The subframe is plenty far from the PF52 on my beretta. Hell, if the front mount was entirely broken, I doubt it would hit even then.
            1994 Corvette
            LT1/ZF6
            2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
            3.7/42RLE

Comment

Do y'alls filters fit in at an angle, or do they stick straight down on an adapter? In my J, the filter comes straight down off an adapter, and there really isn't enough room for me to feel safe having a PF52 on it... it actually sticks out below the subframe and oil pan where if I bottomed out, I'd crush the filter.
              60v6's original Jon M.

Comment

Mine goes straight down. The oil pan still hangs down about 1.5" deeper than the filter and the filter has a lot of clearance near the frame
                1994 Corvette
                LT1/ZF6
                2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
                3.7/42RLE

Comment

As for the bigger filter not being better, what happens when the smaller PF47/3387A gets full and you are surpassing the oil change interval. Filtration is hindered and you will suck in dirty oil.

With the PF52/3980, The filter element is capable of holding more capacity before it counts as full.

Most of the time, the PF47/3387A was used for clearance and imposed light duty application.

As for the Beretta, it was noted that the PF47/3387A was used and must be used to avoid damage to the filter. Gm stated, the filter comes too close to the frame rail and may get hurt by road debris or the rail itself.

But, in my own experience, the PF52/3980 on an L-Body was no problem. Even once the front mount went, there was still no frame rail clearance issue. But, the filter was getting pretty low.

The 2.8/3.1 MPFI Beretta's should all have the filter adapter for vertical filter installation. I wouldn't assume any to be the slanted style except, I believe the 3100's were right off the block.

You guys do know though, that you can revert back to right off the block with your filter..

"not enough clearance when you get on and off the gas" - This is perhaps a mount issue. I know though that my mount got very bad in one vehicle and there was no issue with the frame rail. To each his own experience though, right.

"Stretching the oil is not cool." - Actually, it depends on many factors. A cleaner engine willl be able to stretch the oil longer. The different parts within the oils are in different amounts depending on what oil you buy, While the amount used of things like anti-foaming agents, antirust/oxidization inhibitors, pour point depressants, detergents, etc; vary, the oil's characteristics at 3000 miles are going to be much different than when it was new oil. Also, the oil change interval is actually based around when the filter will be filled as that will usually occur before or slightly after the change interval unless you have a very clean engine. The Oil normally outlasts the filter.

The thing is, there are some factors to account for. Multiweight oil is best when used in close ranges, 10W40 IS worse than 10W30. The polymer strands do not hold up aswell for as long in a high weight-range. Straight weight has no issue.

For a given oil, it's burn off temperature will be different from the next oil. There are friction modifiers, enhanced type polymers, better detergents or more or them, better corrosion protection and wear protection, better low temperature flow capabilities, etc.. or, maybe the oil you picked up has Worse things than the next.

Look at it this way, the guy that uses oil A has a nice clean engine and has owned the car since new, changed oil at intervals and the car has 200K miles; his engine has mild gunk buildup. This other guy used Oil B, same situation except, not a clean engine and much more gunk inside. This is just an analogy. There are many other factors at hand of course though..

Just, do not actually think for a second that two motor oils are going to be the same. It's totally possible but, many oils use a different blend. Just be glad there is no more using parafin.

-Dave
                  If I seem Crazy it is because, I am insane. No lie. Ask my psychiatrist. But, i have good intentions. sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                  X